IGNORED

TST Whoop Group

iacas

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't "start" at 4, I probably pass the heart rate threshold early.

Got you.

I just did a quick little workout.  Strain to 4.  Not going to run today, but am heading out shortly to walk a quick 9 holes.  Interested to see how strain progresses through out the day.

Thanks for the input, guys.  Already, the benefits of going through this experience in a group are showing up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, TN94z said:

So my question is, should I do some sort of workout every night to keep my recovery number up? Or is the number a bit misleading BECAUSE I workout at night?  I'm confused now..lol

That might just be "gaming" the system a bit?

Or maybe that's good, though, because you're just making body have a higher HRV?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

That might just be "gaming" the system a bit?

Or maybe that's good, though, because you're just making body have a higher HRV?

That's the way I am leaning. I'm going to play with this scenario for a few weeks and just see what happens. I should notice a difference in "feel" if I am truly gaining that much recovery. I'll ask some friends who have been using it a while as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

96 recovery today.

Probably because of my 99% sleep efficiency and 9 hours of sleep I got. 

somehow my HRV was 101! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

HRV points toward recovery more than sleep from what I have seen. My sleep is always high but my recovery may or may not be. 101, nice! I was talking to a friend of mine and his is always high. He showed me a screenshot from yesterday and it was 115. 

23 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

Got you.

I just did a quick little workout.  Strain to 4.  Not going to run today, but am heading out shortly to walk a quick 9 holes.  Interested to see how strain progresses through out the day.

Thanks for the input, guys.  Already, the benefits of going through this experience in a group are showing up.

I made it a point to look at my strain this morning when I woke up but before I got moving around much. It was 0.0 as well so I believe you’re correct on hitting the heart rate threshold. I have just never looked at it that quickly. 

Bryan A

• Administrator

I imagine, too, that if your heart rate is higher it may be tougher to have a high HRV?

If you only have 0.8 seconds between heartbeats (making this up), there's less time for your HR to "V" if you know what I mean. 

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

I imagine, too, that if your heart rate is higher it may be tougher to have a high HRV?

If you only have 0.8 seconds between heartbeats (making this up), there's less time for your HR to "V" if you know what I mean. 

I just finished up a podcast on HRV. The doctor said it’s less important the value of your HRV from a Whoop or Oura ring than it is that your HRV actually fluctuates during the day. If you have a 30 HRV all day, that is bad because it means your body isn’t responding to stressors. 

He also said that being able to influence your HRV, like through breath work is important.

there is a lot that goes into our baseline HRV. So saying we need to be at 100 is misleading. 

Maldonado, once you have a baseline for your good day HRV check in value. If you see a massive drop one morning then it’s a day for rest. So it’s all about what your own baseline is. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

there is a lot that goes into our baseline HRV. So saying we need to be at 100 is misleading. 

Yeah, I remember reading that you can’t compare HRV amongst others because it is specific to the person. Not something that can be measured as far as saying “in your age group, you should have an HRV value of 80.”

Bryan A

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I just finished up a podcast on HRV. The doctor said it’s less important the value of your HRV from a Whoop or Oura ring than it is that your HRV actually fluctuates during the day. If you have a 30 HRV all day, that is bad because it means your body isn’t responding to stressors. 

So you're saying we should care about our HRVV? 😛

Or is it HRV2?

• Administrator

Three nights ago and last night/today.

81306FE5-9FC1-40CC-AEE4-5A0768769C98.pngBE4D143F-357E-4302-A479-405AF36C5AE0.png

• Administrator

I had a few interesting days in Pinehurst. I'll post a recap with some screenshots later today.

• Administrator

My schedule this week:

Monday: play golf (in a cart, but in the cold), then attend the opening reception at the PGA Teacher of the Year conference in Pinehurst, NC.

Tuesday: Woke up early for breakfast, conference in the daytime, including outside from noon until 5pm. Walked back to the hotel about half a mile, briskly. It was cold. Dinner and stayed out until late. Did a little work, went to bed late.

Wednesday: Woke up early again, conference, outside from 11:30 to 5:00 (including playing the Cradle, which I didn't mark down as an activity), dinner until late.

Thursday: Played 18 holes on #4 at Pinehurst, walking with a push cart. Practiced full swing, lots of chips, then a few bunker shots. Played 18 at Thistle Dhu with Natalie and Carey. Got dinner, did some work, tried to go to bed earlier (10:35).

Friday: Awoke at 5:15 or so, drove 2 hours to Clemmons, NC. Played 18 in a cart (in 3:15, waiting on the threesome of walkers in front of us), drove about eight more hours home, dealt with a site MySQL corruption issue, went to bed late (midnight).

Today: Woke up at 6:40 or so, taught. Screenshot from mid-day as you can see.

2020-12-12 15.17.11.png2020-12-12 15.17.06.png2020-12-12 15.17.01.png2020-12-12 15.16.56.png2020-12-12 15.16.52.png

• Tue (golf in the cart the day before, conferences): 6:57, 63 HRV, 44%.
  • Wed (conferences day before, conferences and Cradle): 6:38, 93 HRV, 76%
  • Thu (conferences day before, walked 18, practiced, putted): 5:49, 100 HRV, 83%
  • Fri (walked 18 day before, woke up early, drove, 18 in a cart): 5:54, 78 HRV, 61%
  • Sat (drove and played 18 cart day before, woke up early to teach classes): 6:31, 106 HRV, 82%

I also learned more about HRV that I'll be posting separately, in a new topic.

Suffice to say, again, an interesting week. I don't see too many trends with respect to the time I slept (my least amount of sleep got the highest recovery score, and the second highest HRV). I can't say it's a caffeine thing, either.

Interested to read what you learned about HRV. My wife changed nothing about her schedule this weekend and woke up either Saturday or Sunday (I forget which day) with 100% recovery.  I had a crazy busy week at work with a few late nights. I also had a busy weekend. To be honest, I have not even sat down and looked at my whoop from last week. I didn't even have time to check the forum. It was an expected busy week, but doesn't make it any easier...haha. Hopefully, I will be back to normal this week and then I'm off until after the 1st.

Bryan A

• Administrator

My recovery seems to depend on my HRV quite heavily, but that seems to rely heavily on what I did during the day and how much strain I got.

In other words, high strain days are often followed by high recovery nights, while low strain days see me with low recovery scores.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

My recovery seems to depend on my HRV quite heavily, but that seems to rely heavily on what I did during the day and how much strain I got.

In other words, high strain days are often followed by high recovery nights, while low strain days see me with low recovery scores.

My high strain days are the days I hit Crossfit. But even then, the recovery can be hit or miss even with about the same sleep numbers. I'm going to really pay attention to what happens while I'm off work. I have started, somewhat, using the journal entries in whoop. I may take that a step further and log my activities and any diet related changes or whatever. The plan was to do more reading on HRV and recovery last week, but I got swamped at work

Bryan A

• Administrator

I may be misremembering my patterns. The last week seems to be the pattern I said, though, and then yesterday I got to like 6 and have about a 50% recovery today.

From the podcast I listen to, it’s not really the score you have, but your deviant from your baseline and how much your HRV fluctuates from the baseline. You will see athletes have HRV above 100. It might not be good if it is consistently at 100 all the time. It means their body isn’t reacting to stresses.  Score baseline can matter, but being able to control HRV matters to. Even simple breath work can change HRV.

You have to be careful with how the Whoop or Oura ring measure the HRV. Its not the gold standard for measuring HRV. 

here are some articles on HRV. I like Ben Greenfield’s stuff. Though he can be a bit out there on a few topics like grounding.

heart-rate-variability.jpg

Discover what heart rate variability (HRV) is, why it's so important, as well as my go-to methods for...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

HRV of 130! 🙂

I think my previous high was like 103?

0C50D6B2-CA75-4CFB-8EEF-8FDF6011A22B.png