Knockglock

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour/SEL versus Taylormade P770 irons

4 posts / 640 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

I was fit into both the Mizuno JPX 921 SEL irons (which is a combo set of 6-GW Mizuno JPX 921 tours and then 4-5 JPX 921 Forged) and the Taylormade P770 irons.  I hit both pretty well, and thought the Mizunos had a slightly better feel but the Taylormades went slightly further.  Both had good spin rates and descent angles, although the Miznuo was slightly better on those factors for me.  I feel pretty torn between the two, I like them both a lot looks wise.  My fitter said it was a really close and tough call but that at the end of the day he would probably suggest the Mizunos for me because they're cheaper to get customer shafts and grips with, the lie can be bent more, the higher center of gravity helps a small amount with my miss (a hook), and they will last me longer as I continue bringing my handicap down.  On the other hand, the P770s are a touch more forgiving and go a little further, so it's a tough call for me.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts between the two or advice or perhaps would just like to share which they would pick in my shoes.

Thank you.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, Knockglock said:

Mizunos for me because they're cheaper to get customer shafts and grips with, the lie can be bent more, the higher center of gravity helps a small amount with my miss (a hook), and they will last me longer as I continue bringing my handicap down.

Seems this is the answer to me. I mean in regards to the P770’s, define ‘touch more distance/forgiving.’ You also stated the Mizuno’s felt better...I’d say go with the Mizunos. Cheers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Seems this is the answer to me. I mean in regards to the P770’s, define ‘touch more distance/forgiving.’ You also stated the Mizuno’s felt better...I’d say go with the Mizunos. Cheers.

Makes sense!  Hard to say, but probably about 5 yards longer on the P770s as compared to the Mizunos.  And just slightly longer on mishits as well although I have less of a sense on the differences there.  But yeah, I think I'm leaning toward the Mizunos.  Thanks for your thoughts!

You paid a fitter to give you advice. He suggests the Mizunos and you prefer the Mizunos. They are also cheaper. 

so what is the question or hesitation 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.