NCGolfer

Titleist TSi Drivers - Fitting and Mini Review

9 posts / 842 viewsLast Reply

I went through the fitting process a couple days ago and below are my initial thoughts.  Disclaimer is that I already have a TS2 driver with the Smoke shaft and a Callaway Epic Sub Zero with a Tour AD DI-6 shaft.  I'm currently spinning the TS2 too much but strike it more consistently.  The Sub Zero has better numbers but don't hit it quite as solid as I'd like.

TSi2 - Same shape and feel as the TS2.  A bit of an elongated back that makes it look like it sits up at a good attack angle to the ball.  Sound is very similar to the TS2...not as pleasing as the TSi3.  For whatever reason, it feels a little lighter in my hands than the 3 during my swing.

TSi3 - Shape is better looking.  Very similar to my Sub Zero.  Sound is more solid, maybe less "hollow", compared to the 3.  I think that most people will go for this version.  A couple of my friends that went through fittings were both fit into the 3.

As for shafts, I tried the new Smoke (60g) and the Tensei blue (55g).  I didn't even get to the Tour ADs...will explain why.  I tried both shafts in both drivers and hit probably 10+ balls on each after going back and forth multiple times to see where the numbers ended up.  As much as I liked the head and sound of the TSi3, the TSi2 felt better for me and, again, more consistent of a strike.  My two longest drives were with the TSi2 and Tensei blue.  I think I only hit 1-2 sligthly off-center drives with that combination.  The TSi3, I hit some good drives as well but was 3-5 yards short of the TSi2.

I didn't try the Tour ADs since 1) the up-charge is $200 and 2) I have a buddy who can pull the connector off my other one and put the Titleist one on for me if i want to try it and 3) I'm not sure if it would have improved much since my smash factor was already well above 1.5.  The fitter said that I could hit it if I wanted but he didn't think I'd get much more out of any other shaft.

It's a bit steep of a price ($550) but I went with the TSi2 and Tensei Blue shaft.  Should ship in a couple weeks supposedly and hope to have it in my hands in mid-November.  Will post back here with some updates if the weather permits.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

How are the laugh angle and spin rates? I always struggled with getting the spin rates down on the Titleist drivers. 

Don't get Vinsk started with "laugh" angles...

On 10/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, saevel25 said:

How are the laugh angle and spin rates? I always struggled with getting the spin rates down on the Titleist drivers. 

I struggle keeping my spin rates down with a 2-iron… :8)

On 10/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, saevel25 said:

The spin rate was a lot lower than I expected.  In the 1800-2000 range...launch angle was a little higher to offset the low spin.  Can't remember exactly what the launch angles were but I did notice the spin rates.

I joined recently and not sure what the accepted etiquette here is. Should I start a new thread or add to this to off my current experience with new Titleist driver? Tsi3.

10 hours ago, tsproul said:

I joined recently and not sure what the accepted etiquette here is. Should I start a new thread or add to this to off my current experience with new Titleist driver? Tsi3.

I would just add your review here.