IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

• Administrator

I bought the PRGR Black Pocket speed measuring thing.

I think it might be less likely to be hit accidentally, and I think it will be more accurate at measuring speeds because it can just get the peak speed anywhere down near the bottom of the swing rather than in the small window of the Sports Sensor radar.

It won't be here for about ten days, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been experiencing some nagging pain during left handed swings, so omitting the left hand swings this week. Did okay with the blue stick today; 125, 125, 127, 128, 133. Planning to hit some balls with the Mevo at the end of this week and see if there is any speed increase when hitting balls.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

11 hours ago, iacas said:

I bought the PRGR Black Pocket speed measuring thing.

I think it might be less likely to be hit accidentally, and I think it will be more accurate at measuring speeds because it can just get the peak speed anywhere down near the bottom of the swing rather than in the small window of the Sports Sensor radar.

It won't be here for about ten days, though.

Let us know how you like it. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm going to have to take a break or at least back off three times a week.  Been fighting an issue with my left shoulder that I need to rest.  Doesn't keep me from playing but its not getting better.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Are you supposed to be slower in level 2?

My numbers during my final swings haven't been as good since starting level 2 training. 

I know I've only been doing level 2 for two days, but I'm clearly slower... or is it all the snow I've been shoveling lately?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Are you supposed to be slower in level 2?

My numbers during my final swings haven't been as good since starting level 2 training. 

I know I've only been doing level 2 for two days, but I'm clearly slower... or is it all the snow I've been shoveling lately?

For me, it has more to do with temperature. I’ve dipped a bit with temps in the 20s. I’m wearing a lot of clothes too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

55 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

For me, it has more to do with temperature. I’ve dipped a bit with temps in the 20s. I’m wearing a lot of clothes too.

Same here. I swing in my garage and the temp is in the 30s even in there. Lately I have been just doing it to get it over with and trying not to hurt myself. It’s been pretty bleak, but this has to be the low point of this winter, right?

• Administrator
12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Let us know how you like it. 

Will do. It arrives in 5-8 days.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

The PRGR arrived today. I'll test it out tomorrow in my Friday training.

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nice! That was a fast 5-8 days. Curious to hear how it works. I am tired of fiddling with the sports sensor radar to get it pointing in just the right spot.

-Peter

Hit balls with driver today (20 balls) using Mevo to track swing speed. Hanging around in the same ballpark for max speed, however my average speed is up to 112 from 110 MPH at the start of this.

-Peter

On 2/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, iacas said:

Did you have a chance to test it?

Scott

My Swing Thread

Okay, The bad news is I couldn't get anything over 120 mph ... Actually 118 was my best.
The good news is my lowest speeds (where I wasn't on my knees) were all over 110.  So I guess if you can't raise the ceiling at least raise the floor. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
On 2/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, boogielicious said:

Did you have a chance to test it?

Yes. 🙂

At lower speeds, it read within 1 MPH of the Swing Speed Radar. The blue ones we all know.

At higher speeds… it was often 10 MPH lower. Sometimes more. Sometimes, despite not hitting a ball, it would give me two numbers: a clubhead speed and a ball speed. For example, 104 MPH clubhead, 119 MPH ball speed. There was no ball, so if I call the 119 the clubhead speed… it's still 10 MPH or so below the blue radar.

I haven't messed with changing the clubs, yet. I left it on 1W or W1, which is "Wood #1" as the wedges are PW, AW, SW, etc. type. Hybrids are U for Utility. Irons go 3 to 9 I think. Woods are 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 IIRC.

I tested them out at first using both to track the same swings. But then I wondered about interference, but I they're different enough that it's not an issue. The speed numbers seem the same regardless, and always lower than I expected.

I haven't messed with trying it at different locations. Different distances. Because it sits behind your line, there's no real fear of hitting it, but even still I kept it kinda far away. I'll try it closer next time. I have it on a small tripod so that it can see above the level of the mat. Supposedly it's a pretty wide beam, though I wonder about the lip of the mat causing some issues. I might try it out in the middle, in open space another day.

For actual ball speed measurements, and distance estimates, it's pretty good. Here's a random shot from a session the first day I got it, and I've since hit 8I, 9I, more 6I, etc. with it. It seems to do pretty darn well considering it's just checking ball speed, basically. You enter the club, and so it assumes a certain launch (within a window), but the distances seem pretty spot on. And the clubhead and ball speeds seem really good here too.

2021-02-19 09.53.08.jpg

So… I wonder if it is just not "great" above 120 MPH or something?

Or if the spacing was bad, or something else was awry?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yes. 🙂

At lower speeds, it read within 1 MPH of the Swing Speed Radar. The blue ones we all know.

At higher speeds… it was often 10 MPH lower. Sometimes more. Sometimes, despite not hitting a ball, it would give me two numbers: a clubhead speed and a ball speed. For example, 104 MPH clubhead, 119 MPH ball speed. There was no ball, so if I call the 119 the clubhead speed… it's still 10 MPH or so below the blue radar.

I haven't messed with changing the clubs, yet. I left it on 1W or W1, which is "Wood #1" as the wedges are PW, AW, SW, etc. type. Hybrids are U for Utility. Irons go 3 to 9 I think. Woods are 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 IIRC.

I tested them out at first using both to track the same swings. But then I wondered about interference, but I they're different enough that it's not an issue. The speed numbers seem the same regardless, and always lower than I expected.

I haven't messed with trying it at different locations. Different distances. Because it sits behind your line, there's no real fear of hitting it, but even still I kept it kinda far away. I'll try it closer next time. I have it on a small tripod so that it can see above the level of the mat. Supposedly it's a pretty wide beam, though I wonder about the lip of the mat causing some issues. I might try it out in the middle, in open space another day.

For actual ball speed measurements, and distance estimates, it's pretty good. Here's a random shot from a session the first day I got it, and I've since hit 8I, 9I, more 6I, etc. with it. It seems to do pretty darn well considering it's just checking ball speed, basically. You enter the club, and so it assumes a certain launch (within a window), but the distances seem pretty spot on. And the clubhead and ball speeds seem really good here too.

2021-02-19 09.53.08.jpg

So… I wonder if it is just not "great" above 120 MPH or something?

Or if the spacing was bad, or something else was awry?

Well I don’t have to worry about 120 club head speed!😀 I am hoping it would be better than the Swing Speed radar which is fussy about swinging in the narrow beam zone.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I have been off for three weeks, and when I started again this week, I was concerned that I would have lost some speed.  Surprised that my numbers were the same!!  I am back on it!!!

I have been Chairman of groups of volunteers at 2 tournaments this month.  The most recent is the LECOM Suncoast Classic -- a Korn Ferry Tour event.  My two teams at the LECOM event comprised almost 20% of the 400 volunteers... so it was at the course at 5:45 a.m. and the final e-mail each day around 8:00 p.m.   I did that for 7 straight days.... now trying to catch up on a lot of stuff.

While it was unpaid, I was a volunteer also, ... I did get some good gifts!!!  Like 8 dozen of the new TaylorMade Response golf balls, a round at TPC Sawgrass - The Players course, .... :-)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Been resting a bit but did some training today.  I've repositioned the radar to be directly in front of the bottom of the swing.  It's a few MPH slower than where I had it before (slightly ahead.)

Max was 121 and median was 119.  Playing around with having my hands a little higher.  Not quite single plane but it feels like it takes tension out of the hands and grip and the swing feels like it has a lot more whip.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Got back to superspeed training after some time off to let a minor muscle injury heal. Max of 132 MPH with the blue stick today, and a max of 115 MPH hitting balls afterward with Mevo tracking. Still no significant increase since the new year, but nice to see I didn't lose any speed after 1+ weeks of no speed training.

-Peter