IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

On 4/1/2021 at 6:26 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm with you on this. Although, I'm not sure it matters what the "actual" numbers are. I just would like a small degree of consistency in it's measurement. If it was always 10 mph slow. I could deal with that. If it's 10 mph slow one swing and 10 mph fast the next... that makes my ass chew gum. 

Yeah, the most important thing is the speed actually hitting a ball, and luckily I can use Mevo to periodically check on this. That said, when I am in my backyard, swinging driver, with a real ball, and my windows and neighbors' windows a ricochet away, I have a hard time "taking the governor" off, so eventually I have take the Mevo to a range or bring it with me for a round.

The variability from the Sports Sensors SSR still bugging me. Today I hit 122, 125, 127, 128, 135 mph (135 is new personal best), but I don't think there was 13mph difference between the fastest and slowest swings.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really think I'm making progress. 

For the last month or so at the end of each practice session. I take my last 5 balls and try to hit them as far as possible with the driver. The goal is simple.

• Hit 5 balls with driver
  • Average over 104 mph swing speed
  • Average over 150 mph ball speed
  • Average over 250 yards of carry distance
  • All 5 balls need to hit "the fairway"... Which basically means between the two boundaries I set on the driving range. (40 yards wide, approx)

I haven't been able to do it yet. But I'm getting close. Here are my last two tries. 

Yesterday: 

image.thumb.png.108af09f004283c1d34bb5c718da0808.png

Almost did it. I missed averaging 150 mph of ball speed by less than 1 mph. 

Today:
image.thumb.png.4d51083d81855dda6b165699bd998c9d.png

Almost did it again. The numbers were all okay except that second shot. Swing speed good.... Snap hook bad.

It would have missed my imaginary fairway.... badly missed. May have killed somebody. 

Anyway, I'm getting closer. My speed numbers are improving. My carry distance is getting close to where my total distance was last year. I've seen it on the course so far this year. I've been really happy with how I've been hitting the driver on the course in the couple of rounds I've played so far this year. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 1 month later...

After all is said and done. It looks like I gained a couple miles per hour. 

Let's do this again next off season. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 7 months later...

I started up my winter training today.  SuperSpeed has some new videos out.  They've tweaked when to progress to each level, added a designated rest period after the green and blue swings before the red, and explained when you might want to train versus maintenance.  I have the cheap swing speed radar, but think I'll get the PRGR.  

https://train.superspeedgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021-Protocol-Handbook.pdf

image.png.eebef1731211022886c3ce83906f46b5.png

image.png.cf9b9385c1bab8bc4628b5c173de6717.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator

I'd skip doing the opposite side swings, unless they've dramatically reduced the overall number of total swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else still doing speed training this year? I've started at the beginning of January and still tracking in last years sheet. 
I notice its slower this year to last, despite my playing speed being the same on course. Any ideas if a radar device battery would cause mis-reads?

20 hours ago, RhysPowell16 said:

Is anyone else still doing speed training this year? I've started at the beginning of January and still tracking in last years sheet. 
I notice its slower this year to last, despite my playing speed being the same on course. Any ideas if a radar device battery would cause mis-reads?

You have to be very consistent with placing the radar. At my home setup, I have lines on the board so I place it in the same spot every time.

One thing I’ve noticed is if the radar is on the same level as the mat, the tilted radar may be getting a read on the driver higher up on the head or even on the shaft. It’s aim is perpendicular to the lower face for the radar I have (see below). It’s okay for the sticks because they are higher off the ground.

Try playing around with the tilt of the radar if you have the same one as below. You can close up the legs slightly and lower the detector aim.

The Swing Speed Radar® is a small, affordable microwave Doppler radar velocity sensor that measures the swing speed of golfers. Optimize your clubhead s

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 months later...

Morning all.
I've recently finished the superspeed protocols this year and now will be doing the retention part, one stick session each week. Has everyone had any experience on best ways to retain speed from previously years? I'd be keen to understand if retention is possible or whether it should always be part of my winter training program.

• 2 months later...

I did this earlier today for the first time in nearly 15 months.  Is anyone else still using these?  Since I'm back to working out, and now have more meaning for that than "well, I'll bench today," I figured I'm going back to these in off days.  Hopefully I can keep this up. 

I didn't do the "other side" (left handed for me) swings when I did phase one today.  For some reason, I think I'm not supposed to do that anymore, but I don't know why I think that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I’ve been doing it about once a week.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing it once a week to 'retain' the speed but did notice a drop off when I missed this for 3 weeks due to covid.
This year I've kept the majority of the speed, so much better than the year before.

I also only do dominant side swings but superspeed still recommend doing both sides. The stack system doesn't recommend non-dominant side swings.

5 hours ago, RhysPowell16 said:

I also only do dominant side swings but superspeed still recommend doing both sides. The stack system doesn't recommend non-dominant side swings.

I am with you in dominant side only swings.  I've basically been doing phase one with only dominant side.  I figure when I've kept it up for six weeks, I can decide if I'm doing phase two or keeping with the phase one plan.  

Has anyone else moved onto phase two, but kept dominant side only?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

44 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I am with you in dominant side only swings.  I've basically been doing phase one with only dominant side.  I figure when I've kept it up for six weeks, I can decide if I'm doing phase two or keeping with the phase one plan.  

Has anyone else moved onto phase two, but kept dominant side only?

IMO dominant side only seems like a bad idea. Speed training is exercise. Would you ever do bicep curls on only your right side?

:whistle:

57 minutes ago, jshots said:

Speed training is exercise. Would you ever do bicep curls on only your right side?

Apples and oranges.

Speed training is not for hypertrophy, curls are.

Since its mainly for recruitment and technique I wouldnt be too worried even if you do only the dominant side. 

30 minutes ago, Alx said:

Apples and oranges.

Speed training is not for hypertrophy, curls are.

Since its mainly for recruitment and technique I wouldnt be too worried even if you do only the dominant side. 

You don't think swinging max speed for 30-50 reps is going to cause hypertrophy? Add that on top of your normal golf and practice, golfers already have muscle imbalances.

With such a high force thing I personally wouldn't mess with the protocol. I can't find the video but superspeed guys talk about the why for non dominant swings, it is more optimal for speed gains, improves mobility, and helps prevent injury.

:whistle:

59 minutes ago, jshots said:

With such a high force thing I personally wouldn't mess with the protocol. I can't find the video but superspeed guys talk about the why for non dominant swings, it is more optimal for speed gains, improves mobility, and helps prevent injury.

I should look for that.  One of the scientists at that company was on a podcast (I heard the episode recently, I'm not sure when it aired) and I think he commented they're moving away from recommending non-dominant swings.  I think the idea was that it got people to do them more, since it took half the time.  I'll try to find the episode (trouble with podcasts is I can't ctrl+f for phrases, I'd have to relisten to find it).

-- Michael | My swing! 

44 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I should look for that.  One of the scientists at that company was on a podcast (I heard the episode recently, I'm not sure when it aired) and I think he commented they're moving away from recommending non-dominant swings.  I think the idea was that it got people to do them more, since it took half the time.  I'll try to find the episode (trouble with podcasts is I can't ctrl+f for phrases, I'd have to relisten to find it).

I saw a comment from Sasho Mckenzie about which arm should have higher clubhead speed if you swing one handed. He worked with Padraig Harrington who was swinging faster right armed than left. He got him swinging faster with left arm (lead arm) now which has given him more overall clubhead speed. So, I’ve been practicing with only my lead arm when doing club head speed exercises because I’m very right arm dominant. Difference between pulling and pushing, sort of. 

• Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

I saw a comment from Sasho Mckenzie about which arm should have higher clubhead speed if you swing one handed. He worked with Padraig Harrington who was swinging faster right armed than left. He got him swinging faster with left arm (lead arm) now which has given him more overall clubhead speed. So, I’ve been practicing with only my lead arm when doing club head speed exercises because I’m very right arm dominant. Difference between pulling and pushing, sort of. 

The takeaway I'm getting is that for the marginal time it would take to do a few other drills with these, I'll likely see a good benefit, so it's time well spent.

Does measuring your swing speed one-handed work the same way?  I would assume so, but I figure I should ask since "well, that's obvious" doesn't always work right and between you being a far better golfer than I am, plus your certifications, I'd be foolish to not ask.

I think I'll go back to opposite dexterity swings and I'll also try to determine if I need to improve one hand's worth of work.  

-- Michael | My swing!