IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

• Administrator

As you know, tons of people who aren't good golfers do speed training.

3x/week. And yeah, you don't worry about form.

My coupon code in the right sidebar will change every month this year, so if you use the January code make sure it's still January. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm wondering what kinds of results folks have gotten in game-able swing speed? My partner got my a swingcaddie for Christmas. I've been doing some work just with my driver (don't have the sticks) and have increased my dry swing speed by 10mph +/-. But if I try to hit a ball swinging with 120mpg swing speed I hit some pushes, a ton of huge hooks, and like 5-10% bombs down the middle with a smallish draw. What are others' experiences?

Edited by mdl

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

5-10% of actual speed, with the driver, is somewhat common.

This assumes:

• You do the work.
  • Your swing is "decent".

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I need to get involved in speed training to get faster.

Does anyone here (who isn’t a +2 or better) do speed training while seriously working on parts of their swing?

Yes I did last winter, back when I was more around like a 6-8hcp IIRC. I was working on swing changes almost daily indoors at a golf facility working on some pretty significant changes with both irons and driver, hundreds if not thousands of super slow motion and half speed swings on camera at the facility, then 3x a week at home I would do the speed training. I think doing them in 2 separate locations at 2 different times helped me separate the feelings mentally (although I'm sure I could have done them back to back and been fine too, the way I did it just worked best for my schedule). At home it was all about speed, and during my timeslot at the facility it was about technique and proper practice. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, iacas said:

How?

Are you swinging like a driver? Or swinging as fast as you can?

FWIW I did some testing of the Mach 3 stuff today with @Slim_Pivot. I like it, and it's kinda fun.

Swinging as fast as I can but still keeping my form as close to "normal" as I can.  I'm not letting my right elbow fly out or moving my feet excessively.  At least I don't feel like I am.

I've never taken the club back past parallel in my life so I'm going to start looking at making an even bigger shoulder turn.  I think I'm leaving some on the table there.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

16 minutes ago, klineka said:

Yes I did last winter, back when I was more around like a 6-8hcp IIRC. I was working on swing changes almost daily indoors at a golf facility working on some pretty significant changes with both irons and driver, hundreds if not thousands of super slow motion and half speed swings on camera at the facility, then 3x a week at home I would do the speed training. I think doing them in 2 separate locations at 2 different times helped me separate the feelings mentally (although I'm sure I could have done them back to back and been fine too, the way I did it just worked best for my schedule). At home it was all about speed, and during my timeslot at the facility it was about technique and proper practice. 

Ah hell, I guess there’s no excuse not to do it then

Any advise on which radar to get?

Thanks again for the input

10 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Ah hell, I guess there’s no excuse not to do it then

Any advise on which radar to get?

Thanks again for the input

I have the blue one and got it back in the fall of 2018 and it has worked perfectly fine for me 

image.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

12 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

Swinging as fast as I can but still keeping my form as close to "normal" as I can.  I'm not letting my right elbow fly out or moving my feet excessively.  At least I don't feel like I am.

I've never taken the club back past parallel in my life so I'm going to start looking at making an even bigger shoulder turn.  I think I'm leaving some on the table there.

So, @iacas, I did a few swings just to test out...going past parallel and got up to 118 and 117.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Hit balls with driver again today instead of the blue stick: 112, 113, 113, 115, 116 MPH. Interesting to me that I had sustained swings >110 MPH. Usually I have a few above and a few below, but most swings fall in the 109-111 range. Maybe seeing a little bit of gain, but also I am not 100% focusing on making a stable swing with good contact, just good enough to hit the ball.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Did the program today in low light shortly after sunset.  All my numbers were around 10mph slower than what I normally get.  I wonder if it's me or if the Swing Speed Radar doesn't work in low light.

I felt slow today... if that makes any sense. My numbers showed it too. 
Not sure why I was well stretched out and feel pretty good. Just couldn't get it going. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Added a little Soft Arm Challenge feel in my swing. Hit 96, 100, 101, 101 and 104. New highs and hit 100 with my driver.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Added a little Soft Arm Challenge feel in my swing. 

Seems like a pretty good idea. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

Did some Mach 3 stuff today. I like that they're shorter sets, faster reps… I mixed in four of the different tools, though, so it still took awhile. Measured at the end and got the same median and max as last time.

Hit 118 during testing after doing my protocol.  Also swung my driver (without a ball) just to compare.  My median was 112 today with the blue stick and topped my driver out at 112.  I'd say the median driver was 110.  When I hit balls the driver is 110 maxed out and 107 at the median.  Mind you, I'm not trying to max out my swing when I'm hitting balls.  So currently I'm around:

Blue Stick               Driver w/o ball         Driver w/ ball

Max      118                           112                           110

Med      112                           110                           107

When I first started I was around 102 hitting balls with the driver.  I'm playing on Monday so I'll be curious to see how it goes.  I've already played once since i've started and it feels pretty good.  I don't feel like I'm over-swinging...just being more aggressive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

Rut roh, I'm out for a least a week...

cut small.jpg

Ouch!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Rut roh, I'm out for a least a week...

cut small.jpg

Liquid bandage plus some tape should work to keep that protected while it heals. Assuming you want to still hit balls and such while it heals...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: