IGNORED

2 Iron on Tour

Note: This thread is 5841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What tours players still use a 2-iron? I'm pretty sure Tiger and Sergio still do but I'm not aware of who else does.

To answer your question, I know Geoff Ogilvy and Paul Casey also play 2 irons. If I could get my hands on a 2 iron I would be so excited to try it. I have no problem puring my 3 iron blade and my ball-striking isn't "pro". It's about what's comfortable. Just wondering, is your dad trying to

make you use a hybrid? If you can pure a couple of 2 irons in front of him maybe he'll change his mind?

What tours players still use a 2-iron? I'm pretty sure Tiger and Sergio still do but I'm not aware of who else does.

I don't know hardly anyone that hit that shot consistently, and I know a bunch of golfers below a 7. Are you even being serious?

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I don't know hardly anyone that hit that shot consistently, and I know a bunch of golfers below a 7. Are you even being serious?

Yes I am serious. My iron play is the best part of my game along with chipping right now, but that should drop drastically through spring of this year. Its the putting that was really holding me back, with constant easy par and birdie putts being missed.

As for my game, I have a very smooth and consistant swing that I get complemented on constantly (not just saying this too make myself look better) and already hit a very high launching ball naturally while being one of the longer hitters on my course at the age of 15. Also I am somewhat of a "purist" and love the look and feel of a blade at adress rather then a massive chunk of metal behind it, with the expection of a driver. And in response to elchene, the only real chances I get to hit a 2-iron my dad is always there watching at the range or on the course, because its his club and he knows how well I hit it. He is just trying to convince me since so many people are using hybrids now that it has a more forgiveness, which isn't an issue for me since I don't miss the center that often and when I do, I WANT to pay a penalty, so I can aviod starting any bad habits at a young age. Anyways, thanks for all the replies so far. I would love to still hear others opinions on this.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

While watching TV, I've noticed that pros mostly only have two woods in their bags.
Add a putter and you still have 11 clubs to put in there.
2-PW is only 9.
Add a sand and a lob wedge hand you have 14.
There are a lot of two irons in those bags.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

.....Its the putting that was really holding me back , with constant easy par and birdie putts being missed.

Are you listening?? Your putting sucks because of the deformity in your arm from patting yourself on the back. You like the 2 iron because of your little ego. At 15, I suggest you put it in check. You're coming off like one of those whinny country club brats. Life long wannabes. Heres a thought, how many times in a round do you actually use the damn thing??

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

There is no need to be so rude to him about it. I don't have a problem with anyone using a 2 iron if they can hit it, why such an aggressive stance against it? As a 7 handicap it is possible that putting does cost, and 3-4 puts a round puts him at a level where he could attempt to become pro!

Everyone at golf shops told me i was an idiot for trying out blade irons as a 12 handicap, yet after being to an INDEPENDANT fitter, i was told my ball striking was more than good enough to play them. Since having bought them my ball striking has improved, i have NO PROBLEM hitting my 3 iron, it is in fact my favourite club, i don't see why i would struggle hitting a 2 iron, much like this young lad.

There is no doubt an iron is more workable than a hybrid, and if that is what you are after then go with it. I personally can't abide by hybrids, i hate looking at an un-attractive lump of metal behind the ball, they inspire no confidence in me at all!

Your best bet is to go with what you want, and after a while if you decide it isn't worth it, go for a hybrid, or even better put another wedge in the bag. I don't know anyone who can put it within 4 foot consistenyl with a hybrid or a 2 iron, yet give them a wedge and it is more of a certainty.

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

There is no need to be so rude to him about it. I don't have a problem with anyone using a 2 iron if they can hit it, why such an aggressive stance against it? As a 7 handicap it is possible that putting does cost, and 3-4 puts a round puts him at a level where he could attempt to become pro!

I totally agree with you. My handicap is a 12 and my iron play is perfectly fine. Blades keep me in check and they feel great. I tee off with my 3 iron all the time on tight par 4s. If he can hit a 2 iron, there's no reason why he shouldn't.

I've just got a 2nd-hand Titleist 690.MB 3-iron - as nice as it feels when you do hit flush, that's hard enough to hit....so I don't know about a 2-iron!

However, aren't 2-Irons used almost exclusively off the tee?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Yes they are used mostly off the tee, mainly into very long par 3's or on short par 4's where position is more important than length.

I don't have a 2 iron in my bag, but i use my 3 iron probably 5 or 6 times depending on the course, so i suspect had i got a 2 iron it would be a similar number!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

I haven't even held a hybrid! For some reason if I see one in the golf shop, I just shake my head and move on.

You will never see me with a hybrid in my bag unless someone is paying me to carry it!

In my Procombo stand bag
Fusion FT-3
Fusion FT-3 3 wood
Citation 2 iron from the early 80's
Cronin Tour irons 4 - PW V-foil 56 Vokey wedge 58 Oil canV-foil 60 G2i CRAZ-E ProV1

Are you listening?? Your putting sucks because of the deformity in your arm from patting yourself on the back. You like the 2 iron because of your little ego. At 15, I suggest you put it in check. You're coming off like one of those whinny country club brats. Life long wannabes. Heres a thought, how many times in a round do you actually use the damn thing??

I really don't understand what I said to just piss you off like that, but I was just explaining the issues of my game.

As for being a country club brat, I didn't see how I came off like that because I was recalling one of my faults and also I worked part-time to be able to play at a local muni course to improve my abilites and my entire bag cost less than most of these rich kid's drivers who get everything in life handed to them. And for ego, maybe a little bit, but I would feel more comfortable hitting a long iron than a hybrid or wood on a tight hole with lots of trouble on the sides. I didn't mean to raise any tempers, just wanted some of other people's views on a particular club. Thank You.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

I really don't understand what I said to just piss you off like that, but I was just explaining the issues of my game.

Use what works for you. I have a 2I and I sometimes still use it. Unfortunately, I'm not as consistent off the deck and don't get a lot of height. (Off the tee is another story)

I applaud you for your desire to get better and for sticking to your guns. You'll find people that will always take a shot at you. Ignore them and keep up the progress.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!