Jump to content
IGNORED

Club Comp Entry


Recommended Posts

Rules on club competition entry. I have played in around 100 competitions in my club, but recently I have struggled to book in. Example: if the date and time of entry was November 4th @ 9.00a.m. you have to book within 20 mins of this being open or you don’t get a slot as there are too many members. How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own. Does anyone know the rules on this subject and if so which suffixes cover them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Club Comp Entry
  • Administrator

It’s not a Rule of Golf issue, but I’ll leave it in here for now.

It seems to me that this would be an issue that pertains only to one club. They make the rules so… what club? In what location?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All of the big event at my club fill up quickly.  Our last member/guest tournament filled up in four minutes.  

 If it opens for registration at 7 AM on a specific date, I set an alarm and make sure that I call in or register online, whatever is required, at 7 AM exactly.  
 

The bottom line is, there is only so much room on the golf course at any given time so fields have to have some kind of limitation.  if you want to play, you need to do what all those other people are obviously doing who are getting into the events...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Rozz said:

How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own.

How is failing to register not your fault?

My daughter won the Player of the Year award as a 12-year-old in the 12-14-year old US Kids Golf season mostly because the better players (the 14-year olds like Christina) didn't play as many events).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores. I know we are only amateurs, but having results based on getting in first on entry nullifies any order of merit results from being based on scores to being based on whether you were able to register quickly enough. It takes it away from sport to who is registering first. Also I know a lot of people at the club register all their friends to, rather than each player booking as an individual.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Demand is exceeding supply. When you are the consumer in the situation, that's a rough deal.

Bet a lot of courses/golf clubs wished they had your club's problem. My club's club championship field was so small this year that the general public was teeing off by 10:30. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
28 minutes ago, Rozz said:

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores.

The facts of the matter:

  • It is first come, first served.
  • You knew the entry time.
  • You failed to be one of the first x players to enter.

You're not a PGA Tour player. Guess what? They have an established entry order, too, and if you fail to commit to an event before Friday at I think 5pm, you don't get to play in those, either.

28 minutes ago, Rozz said:

I know we are only amateurs, but having results based on getting in first on entry

That's not what happens, though - you still have to play the round.

If you cared so deeply about getting the chance to play, why didn't you do what was necessary to enter?

28 minutes ago, Rozz said:

It takes it away from sport to who is registering first.

They still have to play, and they likely need to set a limit on the number of players they'll accept.

I don't know you at all, I don't live in the same country as you… I'm just telling you what I'm seeing. I get that you're disappointed, but to add you to the field would be unfair to those who followed the rules. You did this to yourself by failing to register in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Rozz said:

I don’t think pga players would have the same disadvantage though. Imagine Bryson not being in a tournament because it’s first come first served rather than being based on everyone’s scores. I know we are only amateurs, 

LMAO......comparing a random club event to the PGA tour.....LOL.

Especially with Covid....courses are packed now......we couldn't find a 4some tee time this past weekend and there are 35+ public championship length courses here......a friend of a friend belongs to one of the exclusive privates here....it's so busy....members can only play 9 holes on Sat and Sun.

spacer.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still unfair though. Although you can’t judge an amateur comp against pga, the huge set of rigid rules we have to adhere to seem very one way to me. I say again how can you have a seasonal order of merit if a section of the club are unable to play? A sensible answer would maybe be to have people who couldn’t get on play the next day to get a full field. This could be considered unfair if weather conditions are different but they do change through each day anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Rozz said:

Rules on club competition entry. I have played in around 100 competitions in my club, but recently I have struggled to book in. Example: if the date and time of entry was November 4th @ 9.00a.m. you have to book within 20 mins of this being open or you don’t get a slot as there are too many members. How can the order of merit and eclectics be valid when all the members are unable to play. I am 4th I order of merit currently, but as I can’t get a place in the next comp I will drop down through no fault of my own. Does anyone know the rules on this subject and if so which suffixes cover them?

First of all, welcome to The Sand Trap!  When you get a chance, please fill out a bit more of your profile, so we can all read your comments with a bit more context.  

As has been said above, this isn't a Rules of Golf issue, its an issue for a single club's competition organizers.  While I can sympathize with your disappointment at being left out, I also see that you had a chance to register quickly, and didn't take it.  The organizers for the competitions absolutely MUST define the procedures for registration, which apparently they've done clearly, with specific date and time, and a specific limit to number of entrants, You should take your concerns (I hate to bring complaints to anyone, that always causes a bit of resistance) to the competition committee, or to the pro, or whichever group does the organization.  I think one of your points is definitely valid, each player should be required to register himself, rather than a single person performing registration for a bunch of guys.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

First of all, welcome to The Sand Trap!  When you get a chance, please fill out a bit more of your profile, so we can all read your comments with a bit more context.  

As has been said above, this isn't a Rules of Golf issue, its an issue for a single club's competition organizers.  While I can sympathize with your disappointment at being left out, I also see that you had a chance to register quickly, and didn't take it.  The organizers for the competitions absolutely MUST define the procedures for registration, which apparently they've done clearly, with specific date and time, and a specific limit to number of entrants, You should take your concerns (I hate to bring complaints to anyone, that always causes a bit of resistance) to the competition committee, or to the pro, or whichever group does the organization.  I think one of your points is definitely valid, each player should be required to register himself, rather than a single person performing registration for a bunch of guys.  

Thanks. Yep I will bring it up about the multiple entries. Got a reasonable understanding from all comments that this isn’t unique and we are living in strange times of course. Will set alarm for next few! Was only really interested if there were any rules governing it, but they seem to have been answered. 👍

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, Rozz said:

Still unfair though.

How? Has anyone agreed with this yet?

Nobody broke the rules. They were fair. You’re asking for something that seems more unfair: that you’re standing grant you extra privileges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Rozz said:

Still unfair though.

How?

You had the same opportunity as everybody else to register for the competition. The only difference is, others did what they had to do in order to register in time. You didn’t.

Next time, rather than complaining, get off your butt and register within the first 20 minutes or whatever is necessary to get into the field. Just like those others did…

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So for those people who think it’s fair, if people were going on and registering all their friends, that’s good practice then. A lot of the people in the comp haven’t been up and registered at all because since this year you can put as many of your friends down with one entry as you like. Surely it should only be up to individuals to enter a singles comp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rozz said:

So for those people who think it’s fair, if people were going on and registering all their friends, that’s good practice then. A lot of the people in the comp haven’t been up and registered at all because since this year you can put as many of your friends down with one entry as you like. Surely it should only be up to individuals to enter a singles comp.

It would seem like an odd thing to me that certain members would actually register for their friends. It never would have occurred to me to register for anyone other than myself. 

Still it would seem you club must have too many members if there is this sort of difficulty getting into competitions. Maybe the solution is to join a different club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Rozz said:

So for those people who think it’s fair, if people were going on and registering all their friends, that’s good practice then. A lot of the people in the comp haven’t been up and registered at all because since this year you can put as many of your friends down with one entry as you like. Surely it should only be up to individuals to enter a singles comp.

That doesn’t strike me as quite right, and might be something to address for future events, but it still remains that it took 20 minutes to close out the registration. Had you registered on time you would’ve made it easily…

Edited by David in FL
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

That doesn’t strike me as quite right, and might be something to address for future events, but it still remains that it took 20 minutes to close out the registration. Had you registered on time you would’ve made it easily…

He apparently could have asked one of his friends to register for him. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Rozz said:

Still unfair though. Although you can’t judge an amateur comp against pga, the huge set of rigid rules we have to adhere to seem very one way to me.

Shouldn't you be speaking to the rules committee at your club? Perhaps they could set aside a certain number of slots for people like yourself, or allow them to register early.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Andy B
      Andy B
      (58 years old)
    2. Dsavin
      Dsavin
      (35 years old)
    3. Jonh
      Jonh
      (27 years old)
    4. marksgd
      marksgd
      (57 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...