IGNORED

Mowing Greens with Marked Balls After Suspending Play

On 11/13/2020 at 3:37 PM, Bill Catron said:

How do they mow over or around the PGA Ball Marks when play is stopped for darkness? Is there a special low profile ball mark that each player must use?

Good question. I also wondered how it was done.

• iacas changed the title to Mowing Greens with Marked Balls After Suspending Play
3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Somebody lifts the marker and once mower has passed it’s replaced. 

I imagine the question is, how is it replaced precisely where it was? 

My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that the spot is first marked with a dot of paint before it’s mowed.  At least that’s the way I would think to do it…

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I imagine the question is, how is it replaced precisely where it was? 

My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that the spot is first marked with a dot of paint before it’s mowed.  At least that’s the way I would think to do it…

I worked course maintenance over my summers while in college at a country club. A couple times a tournament was stopped to continue the next day. The players had stuck tees to mark their spot. I just had a guy literally remove the tee and place it right back after I’d pass over it. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Nah. Guys would be putting with a paint spot right by the ball.

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I worked course maintenance over my summers while in college at a country club. A couple times a tournament was stopped to continue the next day. The players had stuck tees to mark their spot. I just had a guy literally remove the tee and place it right back after I’d pass over it. 

A little hole that you could tap down/closed is much better than a paint spot.

This is the answer: they put a tee in (most players use tees anyway, as ball markers can get washed away/move) and the greens guys just put the tee back in the hole.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

That makes sense!