Jump to content
IGNORED

Are Range Balls 15% Shorter?


Recommended Posts

The short answer, yes. Many are limited flight to begin with and then progressively get less aerodynamic as they get used. Some nice clubs though will have Titleist NXTs or even Pro-V1s on their range and when those are close to new, they will typically fly their normal distance. Those though will deteriorate as time goes by obviously. The richer the club the more often they're replaced.

Most public ranges have pretty beat up range balls, so yea you should expect them to fly shorter and sometimes even weirdly. They're designed for durability so thousands of golfers can use them, but that reduces how far they will typically travel, even when they're brand new.

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not even considering limited flight balls, seeing how beat up the range balls at the courses I go to are (sometimes there are a few that are clearly not even round anymore), I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't hit balls at the range very often at all, maybe once or twice a year. When I do hit balls at the range, I focus more on ball flight patterns and quality of strike, rather than distance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Are Range Balls 15% Shorter?
  • Administrator

@JetFan1983 gave you a good answer. Range balls tend to be either (or both):

  • Really beat up and old, with diminished dimples.
  • Limited flight on purpose.

Use the range to practice or to warm up, not to judge your distances for the day or anything like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

The course I previously worked at had full distance srixon range balls. My current course has srixon flight limited balls. Through some messing around with mevo and both types of range ball, it came really close to 10% less carry on long clubs. Short clubs/wedges were actually pretty close, energy transfer is already low  

We order new range balls every year.  Many people hate used looking balls. Having new ones makes the experience a lot better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for your replies. Today I had my laser range finder and used it for the first time on the range. With the rangefinder, I was horrified to find out that the 240 yard sign is only 210 yard away. May be the owner mislabeled the sign on purpose. I had been hitting my driver for a while here and usually carry to near the 240 yard sign and believed that I carry 230 yard which reflects what I see on the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, khalespace said:

May be the owner mislabeled the sign on purpose.

I always believed that was standard practice, that they adjust the yardage signs to account for the reduced ball flight?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Coder said:

I always believed that was standard practice, that they adjust the yardage signs to account for the reduced ball flight?

Right - maybe your range did that. If it reflects what you see on the course, then maybe it’s just that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the differences between my old home courses and my new club is the range. 

The old range was actually one of Kittyhawk's better features. The place was huge and we had standard issue (if clearly used) golf balls to hit. There was no significant difference in distance. My new range at Miami Shores has much nicer turf but is smaller. A big hitter would put normal balls in the corn, so they use the limited flight balls. 

Threw me for a loop early on, but I've gotten used to it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, phillyk said:

The course I previously worked at had full distance srixon range balls. My current course has srixon flight limited balls. Through some messing around with mevo and both types of range ball, it came really close to 10% less carry on long clubs. Short clubs/wedges were actually pretty close, energy transfer is already low  

We order new range balls every year.  Many people hate used looking balls. Having new ones makes the experience a lot better. 

How about ordering some Titleist range balls, setting them aside from the bulk container, and charging a premium for a bucket of them for use on the range.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
48 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How about ordering some Titleist range balls, setting them aside from the bulk container, and charging a premium for a bucket of them for use on the range.  

How much are you willing to pay?  Haha 

Its an interesting idea. It would be a little annoying to constantly sort through balls after picking but to hit some good balls would be nice. The 1 rule would be irons only I think, with the woods and ability of some to lose balls over the fence in summer. I doubt we’d order a ton so we don’t want to be losing a couple balls every bucket. I do know a private course that has regular balls for irons and limited flight for woods specifically for not losing balls past the fence  

Regarding yardage signs with limited flight, I’d prefer the placement to be at actual yardage.

Edited by phillyk
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, phillyk said:

How much are you willing to pay?  Haha 

Its an interesting idea. It would be a little annoying to constantly sort through balls after picking but to hit some good balls would be nice. The 1 rule would be irons only I think, with the woods and ability of some to lose balls over the fence in summer. I doubt we’d order a ton so we don’t want to be losing a couple balls every bucket. I do know a private course that has regular balls for irons and limited flight for woods specifically for not losing balls past the fence  

Regarding yardage signs with limited flight, I’d prefer the placement to be at actual yardage.

The premium would cover the extra labor to separate the balls.  I'd go up $3 or $4 from my usual bucket.  But I wouldn't use them all the time... just when I want to see true flight, true distance and when gauging club distance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

A range near me has Srixon practice balls that they say are true flight. My MEVO and range work there seems to confirm that. They replace the balls each year. 

The other range I go to in the same town has balls that have been hit a minimum of 4338 times from the look of them. Then, they run them over in the parking lot with a semi to get that out-of-round look I love so well,.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, boogielicious said:

A range near me has Srixon practice balls that they say are true flight. My MEVO and range work there seems to confirm that. They replace the balls each year. 

The other range I go to in the same town has balls that have been hit a minimum of 4338 times from the look of them. Then, they run them over in the parking lot with a semi to get that out-of-round look I love so well,.

I especially like the range balls with the dimples beaten off them.  That way I can practice my knuckle ball shots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • Don't go losing your sponsorship with RL...
    • Feels like there should be a "That's what she said" joke here someplace..... Would that be appropriate? ... Probably not. 
    • For better or worse, this is entertainment, like all sports.  What the players "deserve" is some fair percentage of the revenue from all sources, which I imagine is primarily from TV rights, tournament sponsorships, and, to a smaller extent, physical attendance.  TV rights are directly related to what the broadcaster can get for the advertising, which relates to viewership.  Until the viewership for the LPGA gets close to that of the PGA, the purses for the players won't be close.  I have a hard time believing this will happen in my lifetime. This isn't to say that the players work less hard at their games, that they're not as competitive, or that women's golf isn't exciting to watch, only that the money coming in won't be enough to allow the purses to increase to get close to the men's.
    • Ding! I'd like to see the purses for Women's Golf equal the purses for men's golf. If that means that the ratings for women's golf equal the ratings for men's golf.  Which is something I'd like to see. I enjoy watching the women and I enjoy watching the men. I enjoy college golf. I enjoy the Euros. I watch all of it. But, I realize that I'm the exception. I know this because for among other reasons when I'm at the range chit chatting with the folks there. I can talk PGA golf and everyone knows what I'm talking about. If I talk women's golf people still think Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie are relevant players. 
    • I would prefer to drive.  I usually keep a good eye on my ball and I get tired of telling the driver where to go only for them to ignore me because they think the ball is 50 yards short of where it is.  I've also run into driver's that will not go up to my ball, ie it is on the far left of the fairway, because another in our group is 5 yards shorter and on the far right.  If I'm not interfering with their shot, get me to my ball so I can get ready to make my shot!  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AdTravi
      AdTravi
      (44 years old)
    2. cutchemist42
      cutchemist42
      (35 years old)
    3. donjp6
      donjp6
      (37 years old)
    4. gogreen03
      gogreen03
      (24 years old)
    5. rudder97
      rudder97
      (46 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...