IGNORED

Is Golf a Serious Game for You?

False hopes
Note: This thread is 1251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Is golf a serious game for you". I take the pleasure I get from golfing very seriously. I take the pleasure I get from petting our cats very seriously, too. Do I slam the club into the ground and curse loudly when I blow a shot? Not at all. How about when I blow three shots in a row? Nope. Would I cheat so that I could "beat" the folks I'm playing with? Not a chance. Do I care when everybody laughs when I make the fastest, smoothest swing ever seen, only to have the club whizz by an inch above the ball? Heck no.

But for some luck, a quick thinking spouse, and some pretty remarkable technology I would not be here now. So, for me, every shot I make - or miss - is one I might not otherwise have had the chance to make - or miss. And I'm enjoying each and every one.

I guess by serious I mean how the game affects you.  Does a bad round put you in a sour mood?  I once went from a 84 to 106 on the same course, played in consecutive days.  Yes I was stoked by the 84 but I wasn't in a bad mood after the 106.  Maybe that's what I mean by taking it seriously.  My performance doesn't change the joy of golfing for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, False hopes said:

I guess by serious I mean how the game affects you.  Does a bad round put you in a sour mood?  I once went from a 84 to 106 on the same course, played in consecutive days.  Yes I was stoked by the 84 but I wasn't in a bad mood after the 106.  Maybe that's what I mean by taking it seriously.  My performance doesn't change the joy of golfing for me.

Thanks for the clarification. No. I don't really have "bad" rounds anymore. Some rounds I score better than others but I thoroughly enjoy them all so I agree with your sentiment - "My performance doesn't change the joy of golfing for me."

It serious to me in as much as I always play/practice with my best effort always put forth. 

I like shooting lower scores, and some serious practice regimes help with that. 

Am I so serious that I don't have fun with my golf game? Nope. I always have fun when out playing.   

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I respect the Game.  I play by the rules and take good care of the course.  Wish I walked more.

And, I take my game seriously.  I practice, take lessons and so on.  Wish I did more of that.

Myself and my score?  I don't take those two too seriously.   At least I hope not.

Last week I had a tee time to play with a buddy who's currently being treated for two kinds of cancer (talk about winning the lottery!).  Fortunately, he is, as my late father in law used to say, in pretty good shape for the shape he's in.  But, the golf would have been secondary, and I'd have cheerfully given him any putt inside the flag stick.

Sometimes the golf should be secondary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!