Jump to content
IGNORED

New Member from Chicago


Recommended Posts

I’ve lurked around this forum for awhile but decided to take the plunge today. I’m a 45 yr old guy who lives on the north side of the city and plays in the north suburbs. I played in college and have been bouncing around between +1 and 3 for most of my adult life but, to be honest, it was pretty phony. I barely played much, never practiced but all the years of playing and competing meant I was always able to scrounge up a handful of good rounds each summer to keep the number low.  This summer, I really caught the bug and had a run for about six weeks where I felt like I was in college again. I have not felt this enthused about the and had this much desire to improve since about 1995. I love the idea of some of these accountability threads to keep me on track with my improvement plans and goals for the winter. Now I just have to hope the city doesn’t completely shut down so I don’t lose my hitting bay and Trackman.  I guess if (when) that happens, I’ll find out how much cold I’m willing to tolerate in the backyard to get better at this dumb game.

—Dave

Edited by Daveje97
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Daveje97 said:

I’ve lurked around this forum for awhile but decided to take the plunge today. I’m a 45 yr old guy who lives on the north side of the city and plays in the north suburbs. I played in college and have been bouncing around between +1 and 3 for most of my adult life but, to be honest, it was pretty phony. I barely played much, never practiced but all the years of playing and competing meant I was always able to scrounge up a handful of good rounds each summer to keep the number low.  This summer, I really caught the bug and had a run for about six weeks where I felt like I was in college again. I have not felt this enthused about the and had this much desire to improve since about 1995. I love the idea of some of these accountability threads to keep me on track with my improvement plans and goals for the winter. Now I just have to hope the city doesn’t completely shut down so I don’t lose my hitting bay and Trackman.  I guess if (when) that happens, I’ll find out how much cold I’m willing to tolerate in the backyard to get better at this dumb game.

—Dave

Welcome, Dave.

I'm about a half decade your senior. And you're considerably better at this game than I. 

I grew up in the North Suburbs of Chicago. I didn't start playing until after getting my first job out of college. My first round was at St Andrews in West Chicago, IL.

Having started my golfing life in Chicagoland and the North Suburbs, I may have fixed a few ball marks on the same greens as you. I left Chicagoland in 1999, so I'm going from memory here. But some of the courses I used to play a fair amount back in the day include. Chapel Hill in McHenry, IL. Boone Creek, in Bull Valley, IL. and then there was Crystal Woods and Craig Woods in Woodstock, IL. ... those two may have been combined into the same course now. Not sure. 

There was also one... maybe on HWY 47... I remember it was built on top of an old garbage dump... Something Mountain, maybe???? 

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Enjoy it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, Daveje97 said:

I’ve lurked around this forum for awhile but decided to take the plunge today. I’m a 45 yr old guy who lives on the north side of the city and plays in the north suburbs. I played in college and have been bouncing around between +1 and 3 for most of my adult life but, to be honest, it was pretty phony. I barely played much, never practiced but all the years of playing and competing meant I was always able to scrounge up a handful of good rounds each summer to keep the number low.  This summer, I really caught the bug and had a run for about six weeks where I felt like I was in college again. I have not felt this enthused about the and had this much desire to improve since about 1995. I love the idea of some of these accountability threads to keep me on track with my improvement plans and goals for the winter. Now I just have to hope the city doesn’t completely shut down so I don’t lose my hitting bay and Trackman.  I guess if (when) that happens, I’ll find out how much cold I’m willing to tolerate in the backyard to get better at this dumb game.

—Dave

Welcome! I grew up in the first couple suburbs north of the city. Left the area in ‘08. I definitely miss the golf out there, I’ve been meaning to go back and play Shepherds Crook. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Welcome, Dave.

I'm about a half decade your senior. And you're considerably better at this game than I. 

I grew up in the North Suburbs of Chicago. I didn't start playing until after getting my first job out of college. My first round was at St Andrews in West Chicago, IL.

Having started my golfing life in Chicagoland and the North Suburbs, I may have fixed a few ball marks on the same greens as you. I left Chicagoland in 1999, so I'm going from memory here. But some of the courses I used to play a fair amount back in the day include. Chapel Hill in McHenry, IL. Boone Creek, in Bull Valley, IL. and then there was Crystal Woods and Craig Woods in Woodstock, IL. ... those two may have been combined into the same course now. Not sure. 

There was also one... maybe on HWY 47... I remember it was built on top of an old garbage dump... Something Mountain, maybe???? 

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcome.  

 

You were a little further north and west from where I grew up and mainly played. I wouldn’t be surprised if I played some tournaments out that way since it seemed like I was racking up tons of miles to get to and from events.

11 hours ago, phillyk said:

Welcome! I grew up in the first couple suburbs north of the city. Left the area in ‘08. I definitely miss the golf out there, I’ve been meaning to go back and play Shepherds Crook. 

I grew up in Glencoe so about the 5th suburb north.  Shepherds Crook is a lot of fun. I haven’t been up there in years but would love to get back next summer.

Edited by Daveje97
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • @Shorty, @boogielicious, and @iacas thank you for adding well-reasoned and factual statements to counter @Billy Z’s nonsense.   While I tend to agree to a limited extent that people can be overly sensitive these days, “Indian” and the equivalent (“red skins” and the like) are, as all of you pointed out, offensive—and not just a nitpicky level of sensitivity—but offensive to all reasonable people, given historical context and usage. Therefore, I think the ball club made the right decision. However, I’m not a fan of “guardians,” but I’m happy to see the change. 
    • This nails it. And if he read this he’d think..’yeah…another minion.’ 
    • In the video, one of them had #7 as their favorite hole 🙂 Then sadly he liked #9 Here are my course reviews... Lac La Belle - 6.0/10 Visually this course is good. The mix of fescue, bunkers, and marshy areas outline the holes nicely. There is a lot of target golf going on here. Some of the holes were a bit wonky, like hole #2. Also, the 600 yard par 5 was kind of bad. I am just glad that the fescue was not thick and tall, it was very playable from. If not, this course would be unbearable. The massive putting green with basically a putt putt course was really fun. In the end, it's a good course, but I would not enjoy playing this course a lot. Just too much target golf.  Course Layout - 5/10, Course Condition - 8/10, Visual - 8/10, Clubhouse - N/A Lawsonia - 7.0/10 I really enjoyed this course. It has a unique style that isn’t around my area. Holes 1 thru 8 were good. For me, a bit too many blind tee shots. Holes 9-18 were more open from the tee. Luckily, there wasn’t much in the terms areas the ball would end up unplayable on the holes with blind tee shots. If you aimed over the mounds, and hit a decent shot you would have a shot at the green. There was a good variety of holes. This course was really fun to play.  Course Layout - 7/10, Course Condition - 8/10, Visual - 6/10, Clubhouse - N/A Mammoth Dunes - 8.0/10 A visually stunning course. It is much more of a friendly course than Sand Valley due to the green complexes having more areas to feed the ball into the green on errant shots. Each hole was like a problem to solve off the tee even though there was wide landing areas. I really enjoyed playing this course. The first tee shot of the day was really awesome teeing off from an elevated tee over looking over the expanse of the property. It really gives you a sense of the grand scale of the course. The bins of water on the course were nice since  you have to walk the course.  Course Layout - 8/10, Course Condition - 8/10, Visual - 8/10, Clubhouse - N/A Sand Valley - 8.5/10 A visually stunning golf course. The green complexes are tough with a premium on hitting the flat areas or areas with backstops. Balls would routinely run off the edges where severe slopes were located at. When you miss the green, you usually had a few options to play. Mostly, the high risk through the air or try to putt it to a spot on the green for a longer putt. I think the back nine is much stronger than the front nine. Overall, I prefer the test of this course.  Course Layout - 9/10, Course Condition - 8/10, Visual - 8/10, Clubhouse - N/A Bonus - Sandbox - 10/10 This little gem of a course is just a joy to play. Each green complex is unique and with the variety of pin placements and tee boxes changing daily, each time playing is slightly different. I thoroughly looked forward to starting every day at the Sandbox. 
    • I guess it's easier for some people to think that their enemy is a cult rather than a bunch of informed individuals. Saves one the bother of introspection. 🙃
    • I am watching that thread.  Just in wait & see mode
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Armando Araujo
      Armando Araujo
      (46 years old)
    2. chris3putt
      chris3putt
      (54 years old)
    3. CrazyHorsePete
      CrazyHorsePete
      (34 years old)
    4. DHak20
      DHak20
      (44 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...