Jump to content
IGNORED

Thoughts on Mid-Iron Hybrids


Recommended Posts

I’m wondering if people have an opinion on this.  I hit my driver, fairway wood, and 3 and 5 hybrids really well.  I mean, really well – straight every time.  I also hit my pitching wedge quite well.

My problem is hitting my 6,7, 8, and 9 irons.    When I hit them well, it sounds, feels, and looks beautiful.  But, in doing some analysis I am finding that I am only getting clean hits around 75% of the time.  The other 25% are worm burners, fats, hooks, and slices.  In fact, from 150 yards away, I rarely hit the green with my 7-iron.  I like to say I can hit long, or I can hit straight, but I can’t do both :-) at least with the irons

This is likely costing me four or five strokes a round. Contrast that with my 5h and I am pretty much on the green every time from 160 to 170 yards away. 

in looking to upgrade my irons, I started thinking that maybe I should pick up hybrid versions of 6-9.  It’s going to sound funny saying this, but I almost feel dirty doing it.  I mean, it seems like proper golf would require me to use real irons and not hybrids in those shorter clubs.  

Are hybrids the easy way out? Should I just suck it up and learn to hit those irons better? I just don’t know if I will regret having a bag full of hybrids and no irons.  

does anyone play with hybrids for their short irons? What are your thoughts?
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Acquire and employ the proper tool for the job.  If your current club set-up doesn't work for you, change it.  Don't worry about how others will look at you.  If you play well, that is all that matters.

I do not own mid-iron hybrids (yet) so I can't speak to your specific questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, ajl said:

I’m wondering if people have an opinion on this.  I hit my driver, fairway wood, and 3 and 5 hybrids really well.  I mean, really well – straight every time.  I also hit my pitching wedge quite well.

My problem is hitting my 6,7, 8, and 9 irons.    When I hit them well, it sounds, feels, and looks beautiful.  But, in doing some analysis I am finding that I am only getting clean hits around 75% of the time.  The other 25% are worm burners, fats, hooks, and slices.  In fact, from 150 yards away, I rarely hit the green with my 7-iron.  I like to say I can hit long, or I can hit straight, but I can’t do both :-) at least with the irons

This is likely costing me four or five strokes a round. Contrast that with my 5h and I am pretty much on the green every time from 160 to 170 yards away. 

in looking to upgrade my irons, I started thinking that maybe I should pick up hybrid versions of 6-9.  It’s going to sound funny saying this, but I almost feel dirty doing it.  I mean, it seems like proper golf would require me to use real irons and not hybrids in those shorter clubs.  

Are hybrids the easy way out? Should I just suck it up and learn to hit those irons better? I just don’t know if I will regret having a bag full of hybrids and no irons.  

does anyone play with hybrids for their short irons? What are your thoughts?
 

 

I was thinking the same thing for myself not too long ago. Spent a little time with Erik at a group event and he did some swing analysis for me that helped. Now I am hitting my irons more like I used to.

At one time irons were the best part of my game and my driver stunk. Once I got fitted for a new driver, I was hitting it really great, but it then caused the rest of my game to slowly deteriorate. Your 3w and hybrids won't suffer like your irons since they have wide soles and can accommodate what would otherwise be a fat shot with an iron.

I became so afraid of hitting my irons that this fear actually made it worse as trying to "control" and guide the shot would have my hips stall. The key for me was to get through the ball. I have been working with a drill where I bring the club back with my right hand only and then on my down swing I am forced to start with my lower body and get a full body turn.

Before that Erik had me set up with a super-strong grip and then bring the iron back in a severely closed face position, which kind of does the same thing as the other drill in that it forces you not to "flip" just before impact. This approach takes a lot of the timing out of the wrist action and forces your body to have a more appropriate secondary spine angle (less tilt backwards).

When I got a good driver motion going and swinging with an upward angle of attack, I would often forget that was not what I wanted to be doing with the other clubs. You need to be more over top of the ball and be hitting down. The 3w and hybrids, like I said you can get away with not necessarily having a descending blow, but with the irons you can't.

Last year I joked about having a full bag of hybrids besides my 3h and 4h. Now I am glad I did not give up. I am even considering going back to my 4i or 3i depending on the course I am playing. I hope my rambling has made some sense. For reference my HC index was down to a 5.4. Have not played as much this year and was having a lot of difficulty with the irons and the HC suffered.

Edited by Carl3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Carl3,

thanks for the thoughts.  I had a bad round with some shanks a few weeks ago with my 7i, and from then on, I've been terrified of shanking the ball ever since.  So, guess what I do?  Yep, I shank it more!!  Using some foot powder, I discovered that I'm not hitting off the hosel but rather hitting off the toe, and having the club turn in my hand.  So, I grip harder, tell myself don't shank it, don't shank it, and then go ahead and shank it.  

I do think the better option is to hit the irons better.  But like bkuehn 1952, I feel like I can hit a hybrid with my eyes closed and in my sleep so maybe just do that and forget the irons.  

I might just buy a 7h head from Monark Golf and slap one of my old shafts on it just to see how it plays. That way, I'm only out $20.  If it's as dead-on as the other hybrids, I may finish out the set.  If not, I'll likely pick up a set of irons from Maltby.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Thoughts on Mid-Iron Hybrids
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, ajl said:

Carl3,

thanks for the thoughts.  I had a bad round with some shanks a few weeks ago with my 7i, and from then on, I've been terrified of shanking the ball ever since.  So, guess what I do?  Yep, I shank it more!!  Using some foot powder, I discovered that I'm not hitting off the hosel but rather hitting off the toe, and having the club turn in my hand.  So, I grip harder, tell myself don't shank it, don't shank it, and then go ahead and shank it.  

I do think the better option is to hit the irons better.  But like bkuehn 1952, I feel like I can hit a hybrid with my eyes closed and in my sleep so maybe just do that and forget the irons.  

I might just buy a 7h head from Monark Golf and slap one of my old shafts on it just to see how it plays. That way, I'm only out $20.  If it's as dead-on as the other hybrids, I may finish out the set.  If not, I'll likely pick up a set of irons from Maltby.

 

Just as a follow-up, I went ahead and bought the 7h from Monarch.  Best move I’ve made in months.  I normally shoot around 45–47 when I play nine holes. With the hybrid I am now in the 40-43 range. Any shot between 135 - 150, and I pull out the 7h.  I’m usually on the green.  Sometimes, from 180 I’ll use it and that will get me around 30 yards from the pin so I can use my PW to get it close to putt. 
 

sometimes, even try to play a shot to be within 150 yards now.

from 120, I think I am comfortable with my 9i, and the PW is likely better as an iron for more control.  The next few times I play I’m going to see how often I am between 130 and 150 yards from the pin.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2020 at 8:15 AM, ajl said:

I’m wondering if people have an opinion on this.  I hit my driver, fairway wood, and 3 and 5 hybrids really well.  I mean, really well – straight every time.  I also hit my pitching wedge quite well.

My problem is hitting my 6,7, 8, and 9 irons.    When I hit them well, it sounds, feels, and looks beautiful.  But, in doing some analysis I am finding that I am only getting clean hits around 75% of the time.  The other 25% are worm burners, fats, hooks, and slices.  In fact, from 150 yards away, I rarely hit the green with my 7-iron.  I like to say I can hit long, or I can hit straight, but I can’t do both :-) at least with the irons

This is likely costing me four or five strokes a round. Contrast that with my 5h and I am pretty much on the green every time from 160 to 170 yards away. 

in looking to upgrade my irons, I started thinking that maybe I should pick up hybrid versions of 6-9.  It’s going to sound funny saying this, but I almost feel dirty doing it.  I mean, it seems like proper golf would require me to use real irons and not hybrids in those shorter clubs.  

Are hybrids the easy way out? Should I just suck it up and learn to hit those irons better? I just don’t know if I will regret having a bag full of hybrids and no irons.  

does anyone play with hybrids for their short irons? What are your thoughts?
 

 

I’ve never done it... but just a thought a couple of OEMs make hybrids for the entire set of irons. I’m not talking like “clone” companies either.

Tour Edge has their Hot Launch E521 line and if your a little pressed for cash the HL4 model is on clearance.

Cleveland has the Launcher HB Turbo that are stupid easy to hit. I’m a 3 hdcp and I was surprised how forgiving and easy to hit they were. (I tested them for shits and giggles back before COVID) I believe Cleveland sells them individually as well. As Tour Edge does with their C521 line. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

onthehunt526: I used to live in Ithaca a bunch of years ago. Loved it there.  I hadn’t picked up golf yet, but always parked next to the Robert Trent Jones course when I worked at Cornell.  I can’t wait to get back for a visit and play a few courses up there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ajl said:

onthehunt526: I used to live in Ithaca a bunch of years ago. Loved it there.  I hadn’t picked up golf yet, but always parked next to the Robert Trent Jones course when I worked at Cornell.  I can’t wait to get back for a visit and play a few courses up there.  

I don’t live in Ithaca anymore, but I still visit quite often... I used to play Tburg and Newman a lot haven’t played Trent Jones in a while. 
 

But just a thought, next time you are in the market for new irons, give hybrid irons a serious thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

    This is how I roll, not being afraid to employ hybrids. I have been thinking of getting an 8h 33* to replace the 7 iron, and don't feel bad about it. The heck with feeling bad about it, I am going to use whatever works best for me! 

 

      Driver           230 yds
      4w   16.5°   210 yds
      4h    21°      190 yds
      5h    24°      180 yds
      6h    27°      170 yds
      7h    30°      160 yds
      7i     31°       150 yds
      8i     35°       140 yds
      9i     40°       130 yds
      pw   45°       120 yds
      aw   50°       110 yds
      sw   54°       50-100 yds
      lw    58°        50  yds

Link to post
Share on other sites

My only reservation about higher lofted hybrids for trying to hit the green is that my hybrid shots tend to roll out quite a bit. I am concerned that if I go 6h or 7h I'll be able to hit the green but my ball will just roll off the back. Completely defeating the purpose of having them. That being said, I currently bag 3h and 4h and I am considering a 5 as well. 

On 12/21/2020 at 10:26 PM, onthehunt526 said:

I’ve never done it... but just a thought a couple of OEMs make hybrids for the entire set of irons. I’m not talking like “clone” companies either.

Tour Edge has their Hot Launch E521 line and if your a little pressed for cash the HL4 model is on clearance.

Cleveland has the Launcher HB Turbo that are stupid easy to hit. I’m a 3 hdcp and I was surprised how forgiving and easy to hit they were. (I tested them for shits and giggles back before COVID) I believe Cleveland sells them individually as well. As Tour Edge does with their C521 line. 

 

I can vouch for the Tour Edge HL4 ironwoods. I currently have those in my 5 and 6 iron slots. The new 521 series looks very interesting too. But I still think hybrids will be a bit easier to hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, tehuti said:

My only reservation about higher lofted hybrids for trying to hit the green is that my hybrid shots tend to roll out quite a bit. I am concerned that if I go 6h or 7h I'll be able to hit the green but my ball will just roll off the back. Completely defeating the purpose of having them. That being said, I currently bag 3h and 4h and I am considering a 5 as well. 

I can vouch for the Tour Edge HL4 ironwoods. I currently have those in my 5 and 6 iron slots. The new 521 series looks very interesting too. But I still think hybrids will be a bit easier to hit.

I think hybrids might be a little bit easier to hit, but when you get to 6-7-8 iron lofts. Ironwoods(R) would probably be easier to control, and stop on greens. Because their face is more like an iron. They’re in-between a numbered iron and hybrid, but they actually act more like an iron. 
 

 By the way, Tour Edge is the only company that can these clubs, Ironwoods (R).. David Glod actually holds the patent and Trademark on that name. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, ajl said:

Carl3,

thanks for the thoughts.  I had a bad round with some shanks a few weeks ago with my 7i, and from then on, I've been terrified of shanking the ball ever since.  So, guess what I do?  Yep, I shank it more!!  Using some foot powder, I discovered that I'm not hitting off the hosel but rather hitting off the toe, and having the club turn in my hand.  So, I grip harder, tell myself don't shank it, don't shank it, and then go ahead and shank it.  

I do think the better option is to hit the irons better.  But like bkuehn 1952, I feel like I can hit a hybrid with my eyes closed and in my sleep so maybe just do that and forget the irons.  

I might just buy a 7h head from Monark Golf and slap one of my old shafts on it just to see how it plays. That way, I'm only out $20.  If it's as dead-on as the other hybrids, I may finish out the set.  If not, I'll likely pick up a set of irons from Maltby.

Someone told me long ago that the golf Gods don't hear the word 'don't' so if you say to yourself "don't shank it" you'll shank it, same with going over a sand trap next to a green, "don't hit it in the trap" sure enough you'll hit it in the trap. I have deleted the word 'don't' from my golf vocabulary.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:26 AM, onthehunt526 said:

I’ve never done it... but just a thought a couple of OEMs make hybrids for the entire set of irons. I’m not talking like “clone” companies either.

Tour Edge has their Hot Launch E521 line and if your a little pressed for cash the HL4 model is on clearance.

Cleveland has the Launcher HB Turbo that are stupid easy to hit. I’m a 3 hdcp and I was surprised how forgiving and easy to hit they were. (I tested them for shits and giggles back before COVID) I believe Cleveland sells them individually as well. As Tour Edge does with their C521 line. 

 

I'm 69 years old and have had thee back surgeries so I don't play well anymore and I need clubs that were easy to hit so I bought a set of the Cleveland Launcher HB, 4 through GW. You are correct, they are really easy to hit although I think I lost some distance with them which is OK, I just club up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Someone told me long ago that the golf Gods don't hear the word 'don't' so if you say to yourself "don't shank it" you'll shank it, same with going over a sand trap next to a green, "don't hit it in the trap" sure enough you'll hit it in the trap. I have deleted the word 'don't' from my golf vocabulary.

I'm 69 years old and have had thee back surgeries so I don't play well anymore and I need clubs that were easy to hit so I bought a set of the Cleveland Launcher HB, 4 through GW. You are correct, they are really easy to hit although I think I lost some distance with them which is OK, I just club up. 

Yeah that’s why I don’t use “don’t hit it in the shit”, I use “stay out of the shit.”, oh and call the zoo. It’ll change your golf game forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...