IGNORED

Do You Have a "Go To" Club Around the Green?

Wanzo
Note: This thread is 1211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Short game club choice  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a club you use 90+% of the time around the green?

• Yes
    • No

I prefer the 56 most of the time. I alternate depending on the trajectory and roll desired between the 56 and the 52. I don't like a higher lofted wedge for my game, I'd rather open up the 56 and add more glide/bounce.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted no. I carry four wedges right now: a PW, don’t know what degree, then 50/54/58. With probably half of of my chips and pitches I use the 50 or 54 (I can shut down the 50 and open up the 54), but if I’m hitting into a hill I’ll sometimes use a lower lofted club, not infrequently a 6- or 7-iron, to bump-and-run it. It’s very rare to see me pull the 58 because I’m not very good with it at all.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I use my 55 wedge most of the time, but that may be only 60 or 70%, nowhere near 90%. If I am really short sided, or the green is running away from me with a regular short side, I might use my 60 wedge (or in bunkers, depending on how far I have to go). I pitch with the 55 or the 50 gap wedge from within 40-50 yards. I bump and run with anything from a 9 iron to the 55. It all depends on the situation. 

One club I don't use much around the green (except from within a couple of feet of it) is the putter. I can't get my head around the changes in speeds as the ball transitions through the various cuts of grass. So, no Texas wedge for me! 😉

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Most of the time I pulling my lob wedge, but it isn't 90% of the time. 

Shorter shots, downhill shots, green running away from me... I will go with the lob wedge. 

Longer shots, uphill lies, green not running away from me... I will go with a 56 or 52 degree wedge. 

General considerations. Sometimes I got with lob wedge all the time, and other times its' like 50/50.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I replied No:

I use one of my wedges from PW, 48, 52, 56 as well as my Putter. 

I let the situation dictate the club.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

As others have mentioned, I have a stock club and shot, but not at 90% of the time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Nope.

I use my 58° and 54° a lot, but neither one more than the other.  I also use my PW and GW, as well as my 9 and 8 irons.

That said, my short game was a hot mess yesterday, but I haven't been on a course in a while.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

According to my stats, no. I use my LW (60 degree) 57% of the time, SW (55 degree) 18% of the time, putter 13% of the time, and a selection of other clubs make up the last 12%.

My go to club is usually LW. The course I play has small greens, and forgiving, fluffy rough around the greens, and I feel most confident with the LW to get the ball up quickly and land softly without too much roll.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

So many variables. 90%? No. I carry 4 wedges for a reason.. Different lofts, different bounces. All capable of being hit full bore ( Which I seldom do with the 60) every other one better at thick or thin lies. All working best for me being laid somewhat open, using the bounce + and being a bit aggressive. Yet today I went to an 8 iron off my back toe to run a ball 25 yards up to a small shelf the pin was on, perched between the hill and a sharp drop off to a bunker. It wasn't even a fair pin placement, much less design. The designer should be doing courses where the clowns nose lights up when you get close. The jackknob who put the pin on that sliver of ground should be tarred and feathered,

Edited by Esox

A 48 Pitching wedge. If its short grass and no obstacles, I'll putt from 5 to 10 feet off the green, Depends on the rough. My wife will putt from 20 yards. She is deadly

I don't. I usually go to my 60, 56, or 52 depending on distance and or lie. I have tried to exclusively use my lob wedge, messing with loft, but I suck too much to get any consistency that way at this point. 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

I use my SW (56) 80% of the time.  If I have to get it up and over a bunker or if I'm really short sided, I'll try a flop shot with my 60.  I feel very confident I can put the 56 within 3-4 feet of the pin which is why it is my goto club.

Mark in Colorado

I either use my 56 or my Pw for all shots inside 80. With my 56 I am comfortable with hitting it anything 3/4 swing or less. If I try and nuke it and get max distance I tend to come up on it. I’d rather lay off a 52 than juice a 56. So the 56 is the go to for a vast majority of my shots from 80 in. I use my PW for any bump and run shot near the green. It’s a matter of whether I want to go low to the ground or not as to whether I chip with a PW or 56. I know a lot of players use a 7 iron for longer bump and run shots but I’ve never. Since I was young I exclusively played bump and run with a Pw and have just gotten good at it. So the answer to the question is yea my 56 is my go to but there is a scenario where I will use a different wedge.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Note: This thread is 1211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!