Jump to content
IGNORED

"Topping" Question


Recommended Posts

Is there any easy way to tell, on the course, if the ball you just topped was struck with a descending or ascending blow? Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think topping has more to do with the point of contact, between the club face and the ball, than it does the path of the club head.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
7 hours ago, Zippo said:

Is there any easy way to tell, on the course, if the ball you just topped was struck with a descending or ascending blow? Thanks.

Come out to Lake Padden and I’ll let you know which way is more likely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, iacas said:

No way to tell, no.

Thank you. I was afraid that would be the answer.

15 hours ago, phillyk said:

Come out to Lake Padden and I’ll let you know which way is more likely. 

Thanks for the offer, @phillyk. I do plan on playing Lake Padden again in the late spring when the weather has improved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Piz said:

I think topping has more to do with the point of contact, between the club face and the ball, than it does the path of the club head.  

If the bottom of my swing is a bit too far forward that might cause the club to contact the ball while still descending. Bottom too far back could cause the opposite. Not sure both would be caused by the same swing fault(s) and thought/hoped there might be a way to tell which when on the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Zippo said:

If the bottom of my swing is a bit too far forward that might cause the club to contact the ball while still descending. Bottom too far back could cause the opposite. Not sure both would be caused by the same swing fault(s) and thought/hoped there might be a way to tell which when on the course.

Tons of people have the bottom too far back and thin the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Zippo said:

If the bottom of my swing is a bit too far forward that might cause the club to contact the ball while still descending. Bottom too far back could cause the opposite. Not sure both would be caused by the same swing fault(s) and thought/hoped there might be a way to tell which when on the course.

When I top a shot I have usually come out of my stance.  It happens most often when I swing too fast and/or the ball is below my feet.  I think my brain decides, mid-swing, that there isn't enough room between me and the ball to allow for the full extension of my arms.  So I straighten up a bit...which doesn't work out very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Tons of people have the bottom too far back and thin the ball.

Thanks. Is it wrong if I make two assumptions?

1. The difference between a "top" and a "thin" is where on the ball the clubhead strikes it, and

2. In either case it's usually the leading edge of the club contacting the ball instead of the "sweet spot"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the bottom changes. I don't play on a perfectly flat surface , like a range mat. The course is rolling terrain.

Up hill, down hill, side hill, grass height...effects where the club bottoms, sometimes closer to the lead foot, sometimes closer to the rear foot. 

I can hit them thin in any position if I don't adjust for that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 1puttit
      1puttit
      (56 years old)
    2. Al Vorster
      Al Vorster
      (42 years old)
    3. alczervik4
      alczervik4
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...