Jump to content
IGNORED

I Was Chasing 80s, Now I'm Chasing 90s


Recommended Posts

I was shooting consistently in the low 90's. I tried to make a push into the 80's (only having shot in the 80's once in playing golf on and off for twenty plus years (however playing consistently for the last 4-5 years with golf tec lessons).

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds. I've actually added 10 strokes to my game. 

Very frustrating!

 

I'm open to suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • woodzie264 changed the title to I Was Chasing The 80's & Now I'm Chasing The 90's
  • iacas changed the title to I Was Chasing 80s, Now I'm Chasing 90s

If you don’t have it already, I’d suggest purchasing a copy of Lowest Score Wins and implementing the approaches I the book. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's kind of hard to assess this question without more information. Where are you seeing the extra 10 strokes show up? Is it short game, off the tee trouble, 3 putting? An extra 9 shots is an average of  half a stroke per hole so they do sneak up in a hurry. If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

...If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

@TourSpoon is on the mark.  Learning a new swing takes time to unlearn the poor swing and learn the new.  I have been told it takes 6 months minimum for the body and brain to imprint the physical process of making a new swing.  Expect poor results for a fairly long time, with occasional flashes of brilliance as you incorporate the changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
24 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have been told it takes 6 months minimum for the body and brain to imprint the physical process of making a new swing.

I've seen students change their swing, truly change it, in a month.

It depends on so much. How long they've been playing. How much they practice. Etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

It's kind of hard to assess this question without more information. Where are you seeing the extra 10 strokes show up? Is it short game, off the tee trouble, 3 putting? An extra 9 shots is an average of  half a stroke per hole so they do sneak up in a hurry. If you are taking lessons now, remember that it is a process. 

I've actually been taking lessons very inconsistently for a couple of years 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
17 hours ago, BK124TT said:

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds.

What do you mean by this, tried breaking into the 80s?  Are you thinking of a number, right from the first tee?  If so, stop it, think of one shot on the first tee.  Not even a hole score ("I need to par this one"), think of hitting a normal solid first shot.  Chasing scores is seldom positive, preparing for each shot as an individual project often tends to produce good scores at the end of the day.

If you're taking lessons, make sure you practice properly to ingrain the changes that the lessons should produce.  Taking lessons is only a step in the process, good practice is an additional step.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So its probably not a dramatic swing change we are talking here so where do you see the strokes adding up? A typical bogey golf hole for a par 4 would be an acceptable drive, approach somewhere near the green, chip/pitch on the green with 2 putts.  Given that scenario where do you see the breakdown? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

So its probably not a dramatic swing change we are talking here so where do you see the strokes adding up? A typical bogey golf hole for a par 4 would be an acceptable drive, approach somewhere near the green, chip/pitch on the green with 2 putts.  Given that scenario where do you see the breakdown? 

 

I've thought about this answer for a bit. The bad shots are inconsistently showing up. Cant really narrow it down to a certain club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

If you don’t have it already, I’d suggest purchasing a copy of Lowest Score Wins and implementing the approaches I the book. 

This.

Dude just play golf. If you have a consistent shot shape play it. Don’t think about score too much, stay out of the shit, call “The Zoo”. That kind of stuff. I’m trying to get down to scratch. I don’t add up my score until the end. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, BK124TT said:

I was shooting consistently in the low 90's. I tried to make a push into the 80's (only having shot in the 80's once in playing golf on and off for twenty plus years (however playing consistently for the last 4-5 years with golf tec lessons).

As soon as I "tried" breaking into the 80's I now find myself back in the low hundreds. I've actually added 10 strokes to my game. 

Very frustrating!

 

I'm open to suggestions. 

This describes me the past few years. Spend all summer in the 91-95 range chasing that 80s round and once I get it it’s like I lose my fire and am up shooting 98-105. Let me know if you figure it out!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 1puttit
      1puttit
      (56 years old)
    2. Al Vorster
      Al Vorster
      (42 years old)
    3. alczervik4
      alczervik4
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...