IGNORED

What Is The Longest Club That You Would Want For A 2nd Shot into a Par-Four?

Note: This thread is 1022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Longest Clubs into Par Fours  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Longest Club You'd Want into a Par 4?

• 3W/Hybrid
    • 4I/5I
    • 6I/7I
    • 8I/9I
    • Wedge

I voted 6/7. I’m going to hit most greens with a 6 or 7. My percentage drops once I have a 5 in hand. Most courses I play I’m long enough that I’m not hitting many long irons. I do play back tees at some courses just so I set myself up with more long irons for practice and I have hit a lot more greens with a 4 iron than I thought I would..... but I still don’t like the shot. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I chose 3w/hybrid because if I hit a decent drive and still have that much left into a hole it means I'm playing a "big boy" course and it feels challenging.

Now, if the question is more about with which club I would be confident hitting the green, then realistically, I'd have to vote 8/9.  I'm roughly a 4 handicap at this point (haven't played too much, so possibly closer to a 5-6 realistically) and I am way more likely to miss the green than hit it if I'm 7 iron distance or more out.  It's a sad truth lol.

Edited by Golfingdad
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I voted 3w/hybrid. The course I play most often has one par 4 that is 445y and routinely into the wind. I love the challenge of this hole as there are a few other very short par 4s to make up for it. I don't mind having one of two holes like this per round. Confidence wise I love my 2i and enjoy hitting it, but then my confidence wavers until I get back to my 6 iron or less.  

Assuming a well-struck drive, all the par 4s at my home course can be reached with irons or wedges except for the 13th, which is at least a driver-hybrid affair. I’m fine with hitting hybrids into par-4s, but I don’t want a lot of driver-wood holes.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

5 minutes ago, djake said:

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

2 minutes ago, djake said:

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

- Dean

1 minute ago, djake said:

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

... and if you make the hole-in-one you'll have the biggest "I told you so" in history!

• Like 1

My chances of hitting a green with anything longer than my 7 iron are slim, but I am getting more confident with my 4 hybrid so I would choose that as the longest. Especially since I am a short hitter off the tee.

• 2 months later...

I said 8/9i because I am around 60% to hit the green from that distance (150-165 ish).  If I am playing very well, I know my dispersion patterns and average error.  Somewhere around 7-8% is very good for me on full shots and 10% is not the best.  On shorter shorter shorts, the error isn't much side to side like a long pointy ellipse where as on longer shot of say 200-220 yards (4/5i), I am looking at a circle approximately with a radius of 14-22 yards.  Those are not really good odds depending on the size and firmness of the greens.  I do not even have a percentage but probably 25-30%, so, my thinking is to manage the miss.  I probably should have said wedge because I rarely miss then.

I really only play one par 4 hole regularly needing such a long approach and it is guarded by bunkers and water.  Since it is 485yards and usually into the wind and the fairway lie is a bit hangy and the fairway is soft, I don't often go for it.  I aim front right and short.  It is puttable.  It is always safe.  If I miss and pull it, only I know I missed the shot when I hit the green or sometimes you get a really good bounce.

I want to make sure I have a club in my bag to reach the green on a par 4 sometimes!   Realistically, I'd like at least a 7 iron into the green. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

27 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have never been a long hitter and I have lost distance over the past 7-8 years. I would like to be inside 150 yards and hit a 7 iron or less.

I selected 3W/Hybrid because I, too, try to be around the 150 pole, and it's a 5W or 3W from there.

I score much better than my handicap on short courses because my accuracy is good but my length is not.  Generally speaking, I'm an 8-10 at 5200 yards, and 18-20 at 6200 yards.

Stay safe.

😷

Man of the Year in Michigan 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll say 6i/7i. I feel like if I have one of those clubs in my hands for my approach that I have a pretty decent chance of at least being close.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

The longest club I feel confident swinging in this scenario would be my 8 iron. I want to feel that way about my 7 and 6 irons, but the truth is I'm most likely to miss the green with one of those clubs. 

...The longest club I'd want is my PW though... 🙂

Note: This thread is 1022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!