IGNORED

What Is The Longest Club That You Would Want For A 2nd Shot into a Par-Four?

Longest Clubs into Par Fours  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Longest Club You'd Want into a Par 4?

• 3W/Hybrid
    • 4I/5I
    • 6I/7I
    • 8I/9I
    • Wedge

I voted 6/7. I’m going to hit most greens with a 6 or 7. My percentage drops once I have a 5 in hand. Most courses I play I’m long enough that I’m not hitting many long irons. I do play back tees at some courses just so I set myself up with more long irons for practice and I have hit a lot more greens with a 4 iron than I thought I would..... but I still don’t like the shot. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I chose 3w/hybrid because if I hit a decent drive and still have that much left into a hole it means I'm playing a "big boy" course and it feels challenging.

Now, if the question is more about with which club I would be confident hitting the green, then realistically, I'd have to vote 8/9.  I'm roughly a 4 handicap at this point (haven't played too much, so possibly closer to a 5-6 realistically) and I am way more likely to miss the green than hit it if I'm 7 iron distance or more out.  It's a sad truth lol.

Edited by Golfingdad
Typo
  • Like 1

I voted 3w/hybrid. The course I play most often has one par 4 that is 445y and routinely into the wind. I love the challenge of this hole as there are a few other very short par 4s to make up for it. I don't mind having one of two holes like this per round. Confidence wise I love my 2i and enjoy hitting it, but then my confidence wavers until I get back to my 6 iron or less.  

Assuming a well-struck drive, all the par 4s at my home course can be reached with irons or wedges except for the 13th, which is at least a driver-hybrid affair. I’m fine with hitting hybrids into par-4s, but I don’t want a lot of driver-wood holes.

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

5 minutes ago, djake said:

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

2 minutes ago, djake said:

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

1 minute ago, djake said:

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

... and if you make the hole-in-one you'll have the biggest "I told you so" in history!

• Like 1

My chances of hitting a green with anything longer than my 7 iron are slim, but I am getting more confident with my 4 hybrid so I would choose that as the longest. Especially since I am a short hitter off the tee.