IGNORED

Talking to a Competitor About Their Shot Before They Hit

MattM
Note:Β This thread is 944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have thin skin. I suck at low percentage shots and if someone gets under my skin I almost def turn them into zero percentage shots.

What can I can I say, it sucks to suck. Hope you meet more sympathetic competitors.Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Right.Β  I fail to see how this is any different from any other sport.Β  Play another sport, and you rarely hear folks complaining about another's trash talk.Β  If a person is rattled just because of simple comments made by a competitor, that speaks to that person's lack of ability.Β  People try to overcomplicate and mystify golf as some hugely cerebral game when it mostly boils down to: can you put a ball in the hole?Β  You won't hear a RB in football complain because a LB said "watch out when you come up the middle because we're coming for you." πŸ™‚Β 

FWIW, all those other sports have fights all the time, so I think the trash talk is a contributor.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There're a couple of guys I play with who try to get into my head... in a fun way.Β  I generally outdrive them by 30-40 yards so I hear, "Don't hit it too far and go in the water." or, "It's in the water!" or, "It hit the hillside and is backing up!"Β  I take it with a grain of sand and enjoy the banter.Β  Others, I'm game for tit for tat.Β  I can dish it back but always keep it civil.Β  And clever, if I can pull it off.Β  I like everybody IΒ play with.Β Β 

@MattMΒ  USGA does have rules which address Etiquette and you could ask the Committee if the player you are describing crosses the lineΒ 
with the intention of his conduct.Β  I often golf with guys who Trash Talk a lotΒ and I can dish it out with the bestΒ when necessary.
Usually when the smack starts flying, I'll up my game which usually settles them down.
I often just hit them where it hurts the most, "their pocket book"

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.

You should check to see whether the Committee has adopted a Code of Conduct, as you could get a penalty if you do not follow it.

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

@MattMΒ  USGA does have rules which address Etiquette and you could ask the Committee if the player you are describing crosses the line

And the Committee would be justified in laughing in his face.

• Booooooooo 1
  • Funny 2

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 4:48 AM, MattM said:

I've been playing in these money tournaments for about 3 years now and it has 120+members and I have never played in a foursome during a tournament where someone was blatantly pulling this.Β  I assumed there was some rule against it since I haven't had someone try that before.

If this is as blatant as you say, it is against the rules.

Rule 1.2a states: "All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by...Β Showing consideration to others – for example... not distracting the play of another player."Β 

The Committee is allowed to DQ for "serious misconduct". Others members may be aware and not like it either.Β Β 

• Like 1

Our Mens Golf Association has bylaws that talk about keeping things in the spirit of the game and polices certain behaviors and situations. Β The person who runs it is a fierce competitor and when he talks match play strategy, he will say things about how he plays to put pressure on people to win and get into their head by trying to bury them or play aggressively at the start to make an opponent go in the defensive. Β  He doesn’t trash talk or say things to mess with people.

As golfers, or people, there are going to be people who try and exploit anything they can get away with and it’s best to be prepared to deal with it and not let it bother you. Β People who are jerks and push it too far will get reputations and in the end if they are excessive, it’ll rebound on them.

Β 

β€”Adam

Β 

The only answer is to get mentally tough enough to overcome. and learn to give it back in ways that are effective against whomever is gaming you. Just depends on how far you want to push it.

Myself, when I am playing against someone who makes "comments" is that in my mind I reframe it to pretend they are really wanting me to succeed.

For example, they say "that sure is a tough pitch over all that sand" turn is into "Focus now, this is important, beΒ aggressive to the spot".

Β 

Works sometimes, sometimes not. But regardless, you have to get mentally tough.Β ;-)Β 

Β 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;Β  Β  Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Something I'll add.Β  Someone I played withΒ a lotΒ when I tookΒ  up golf would do things like that, sometimes worse, to distract me or try to get me angry during a round.Β  I think he thought it was funny and friendly.Β  At the time, I hated it.Β  I still do, but nowadays, unless someone is tryingΒ to distract me or annoy me, I tend to be okay.Β  So if we're playing, and you are having a conversation and I step up to my ball, it'd be nice if you stop, but you don't have to for me.Β Β 

OP, it would be nice if you could get to where I am.Β  I wish I could tell you how I got from there to here.Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do tell.

I wish I knew.Β  Maybe it's just that someone talking during my swing, but who wasn'tΒ tryingΒ to distract me doesn't bother me as much?Β  Maybe I got used to a person talking during my swing.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Kind of an old thread, but I would tell the OP he has to get mentally tougher. He wouldn't last 15 minutes in my group, we can be pretty brutal to each other.

As far as being against the rulesΒ 

22 hours ago, reidsou said:

If this is as blatant as you say, it is against the rules.

Rule 1.2a states: "All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by...Β Showing consideration to others – for example... not distracting the play of another player."Β 

The Committee is allowed to DQ for "serious misconduct". Others members may be aware and not like it either.Β Β 

Walking by and saying what he did is no where near "serious misconduct". It's kind of a dick move, but as a competitor you have to be mentally strong enough to get over something as trivial as that.Β 

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Kind of an old thread, but I would tell the OP he has to get mentally tougher. He wouldn't last 15 minutes in my group, we can be pretty brutal to each other.

As far as being against the rulesΒ 

Walking by and saying what he did is no where near "serious misconduct". It's kind of a dick move, but as a competitor you have to be mentally strong enough to get over something as trivial as that.Β 

Others compared this to trash talkΒ in football or basketball. But golf is an individual sport. The rules correspondingly specify "the spirit of the game" and "showing consideration to other players", which includes "not distracting" them.Β 

I agree this one incident is not "serious misconduct". But if, as described, the same player is continually attempting to distract others, then that is against the spirit of the game. A committee code of conduct (rule 1.2b) could address.Β 

Individual results should not be dependent on avoiding being paired with "dick move" players.Β 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, reidsou said:

Others compared this to trash talkΒ in football or basketball. But golf is an individual sport. The rules correspondingly specify "the spirit of the game" and "showing consideration to other players", which includes "not distracting" them.Β 

I agree this one incident is not "serious misconduct". But if, as described, the same player is continually attempting to distract others, then that is against the spirit of the game. A committee code of conduct (rule 1.2b) could address.Β 

Individual results should not be dependent on avoiding being paired with "dick move" players.Β 

Good luck with all that, though.

Nobody would really take that approach.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Β 

16 hours ago, reidsou said:

Β 

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Good luck with all that, though.

Nobody would really take that approach.

Why not? After all, if the purpose of a player is to distract other players it very much sounds like misconduct and when repeated could be subjected to a penalty. At least it should be.

The easiest way to get rid of such behavior is to write it down in the Code of Conduct of the competition. Easy to add and easy to implement, Rule 1.2a.

Edited by Ruler

Note:Β This thread is 944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!