Jump to content
IGNORED

Bought an MGI Zip Navigator Remote Control Cart


Recommended Posts

After much time looking, reviewing and finger crossing I went ahead and ordered a MGI Zip Navigator with remote and a new golf bag to go with it. It arrived yesterday and I got a chance to try it out today. I know I spent a ton of money on the thing so my review will be biased, of course, but I think the thing is great. With the new cart I was able to walk 18 holes which, for me, is a very big step forward (so to speak). I usually am only good for 12 holes on my home course.

What do I like about it? Well, it was dead simple to use. The remote control worked flawlessly and the controls were as easy to figure out as they are on the remote to my TV. OK. Maybe a bad analogy but you get what I mean. Press the forward button once and it starts going forward and speeds up with each additional press. Left and right buttons worked just as expected and I was easily able to control the cart over a couple of small bridges though I did walk close to it, just in case. I was easily able to guide the cart to my ball, pull a club, hit the shot and start walking to the next one. Soooo nice not to have to push the cart through the soft wet grass. 

What concerns do I have? Well, the way it's set up now the cart is doing a bit of a balancing act - it bounces slightly between the front wheels down and back onto the anti-tip over wheel. Definitely needs a bit more weight low down in the front. I think I'll put my water and other drinks down there. That should help. Keep in mind that it didn't seem to be a problem. Just something that I noticed. I also noted that it had a very slight tendency, when headed straight down the fairway to very slowly angle its way to the left. Nothing a tap on the remote couldn't handle but it is something I will talk to support about. Probably not tomorrow, though, as the weather should be even better and I'm headed out to the course again

Speed - 3 clicks forward was just a tad to fast for me to walk. 2 clicks forward was just a tad too slow. On the treadmill I walk at 2.8 mph (or so the treadmill indicates) so I'm guessing I was doing 2.5 or 2.6 on the course. For someone able to walk at 3 mph it would probably be perfect at 3 clicks. Again, not a problem. I'd just let it go ahead for a bit then slowed it down and I would catch up to it.

For what I spent on it I could have rented an electric rider cart for 3 years from my course but the problem with that is that sometimes the course is closed to rider carts due to lots of rain or other course conditions but it's never closed to walking so I should be able to get a lot of use from it. Also, ain't walking good for you?

Zip-Navigator.thumb.jpg.2c84e09301b6deb8661df105b1c5360d.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
8 hours ago, Zippo said:

After much time looking, reviewing and finger crossing I went ahead and ordered a MGI Zip Navigator with remote and a new golf bag to go with it. It arrived yesterday and I got a chance to try it out today. I know I spent a ton of money on the thing so my review will be biased, of course, but I think the thing is great. With the new cart I was able to walk 18 holes which, for me, is a very big step forward (so to speak). I usually am only good for 12 holes on my home course.

What do I like about it? Well, it was dead simple to use. The remote control worked flawlessly and the controls were as easy to figure out as they are on the remote to my TV. OK. Maybe a bad analogy but you get what I mean. Press the forward button once and it starts going forward and speeds up with each additional press. Left and right buttons worked just as expected and I was easily able to control the cart over a couple of small bridges though I did walk close to it, just in case. I was easily able to guide the cart to my ball, pull a club, hit the shot and start walking to the next one. Soooo nice not to have to push the cart through the soft wet grass. 

What concerns do I have? Well, the way it's set up now the cart is doing a bit of a balancing act - it bounces slightly between the front wheels down and back onto the anti-tip over wheel. Definitely needs a bit more weight low down in the front. I think I'll put my water and other drinks down there. That should help. Keep in mind that it didn't seem to be a problem. Just something that I noticed. I also noted that it had a very slight tendency, when headed straight down the fairway to very slowly angle its way to the left. Nothing a tap on the remote couldn't handle but it is something I will talk to support about. Probably not tomorrow, though, as the weather should be even better and I'm headed out to the course again

Speed - 3 clicks forward was just a tad to fast for me to walk. 2 clicks forward was just a tad too slow. On the treadmill I walk at 2.8 mph (or so the treadmill indicates) so I'm guessing I was doing 2.5 or 2.6 on the course. For someone able to walk at 3 mph it would probably be perfect at 3 clicks. Again, not a problem. I'd just let it go ahead for a bit then slowed it down and I would catch up to it.

For what I spent on it I could have rented an electric rider cart for 3 years from my course but the problem with that is that sometimes the course is closed to rider carts due to lots of rain or other course conditions but it's never closed to walking so I should be able to get a lot of use from it. Also, ain't walking good for you?

Zip-Navigator.thumb.jpg.2c84e09301b6deb8661df105b1c5360d.jpg

Thanks for posting. I can edit the title for you with the name of the cart if you would like. It would make it easier for folks to find. Also, more picks would be a nice addition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Bought an MGI Zip Navigator Remote Control Cart

I bought that same cart last year from Costco for $1500. I like that I can control it from 20-30yds away so it can get to my ball before I do, or it can start moving to the next hole while I am getting off the green. What I didn’t like is if I want to walk under the umbrella - I cannot find the right speed. It’s either too slow or too fast for my pace to walk alongside it. I also think the uphill balancing wheel is too small and if I forgot to extend it, the cart will tip over since my course is at the foothills and there are lots of slopes to climb. A few weeks after buying it, the price went down to $1200. Costco was nice enough to give me the difference eventhough they didn’t have to.

I have only used it for a few months - I ended up getting a golf cart because I didn’t want to walk anymore. Then a few months later I joined a different club that included carts in my membership, so I now have an electric push cart and a golf cart sitting in my garage collecting dust...

Edited by FlyingAce
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
10 hours ago, chicub15 said:

Nice wheels! I've been contemplating purchasing something along these lines. What other carts did you mostly consider?

Thank you! I considered the Bat Caddy models and definitely considered the Alphord eWheels V2. I did want a cart that had a swivel front wheel for sharper turns and less wear on the front wheel. I could have bought a cart like that and added the V2 but thought this was the easiest for me. The cost would have been comparable. There were a couple of other carts on the long list but their prices were simply too high for me to consider at this time.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks for posting. I can edit the title for you with the name of the cart if you would like. It would make it easier for folks to find. Also, more picks would be a nice addition.

Please edit away. I thought I'd put the name of the cart in the title but I must have missed doing so. Sorry. And, in case anyone were to wonder - I have no financial interest whatsoever in any of the cart manufacturers. I will see what I can do about a few more images but I didn't want to go overboard.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Guess you made your decision from that topic. 🙂

Indeed I did and I looked very closely at your suggestion. It was a good one and had some great reviews so thanks again for that.

Edited by Zippo
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Indeed I did and I looked very closely at your suggestion. It was a good one and had some great reviews so thanks again for that.

FWIW that wasn't a comment per se, I was just trying to help others who find one topic find the other.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Those front wheels are kinda small. You'll have to let us know how it gets through some thicker rough or some softer conditions.

Hmmm. Hadn't considered that. I've been through some pretty soft conditions and it's light enough on the front that it hasn't yet been an issue. But, I'll run it through some rough tomorrow and see how it goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 2 of these at our course.  Rather expensive to buy but there is nothing like walking!

Club-Car-Logo-Color-PNG.png

Meet Club Car's autonomous, hands-free caddie designed to make walking your round more...

I use it every time I go out.  The remote is the size of a beeper.  I put it on the back of my belt.  Toggle button on and off.  Flip it on and it follows about 5’ behind you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

We have 2 of these at our course.  Rather expensive to buy but there is nothing like walking!

Club-Car-Logo-Color-PNG.png

Meet Club Car's autonomous, hands-free caddie designed to make walking your round more...

I use it every time I go out.  The remote is the size of a beeper.  I put it on the back of my belt.  Toggle button on and off.  Flip it on and it follows about 5’ behind you.

There is a course in Ann Arbor that has 4 of these.   I've not tried it but next time there I will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, iacas said:

Those front wheels are kinda small. You'll have to let us know how it gets through some thicker rough or some softer conditions.

A friend has one, and his went through the rough just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

We have 2 of these at our course.  Rather expensive to buy but there is nothing like walking!

Club-Car-Logo-Color-PNG.png

Meet Club Car's autonomous, hands-free caddie designed to make walking your round more...

I use it every time I go out.  The remote is the size of a beeper.  I put it on the back of my belt.  Toggle button on and off.  Flip it on and it follows about 5’ behind you.

I considered a cart with the "follow me" option but I decided I wasn't comfortable with a powered caddy cart behind me. I like having it where I can keep an eye on me in case it "decides" that I'm such a bad golfer that I should be eliminated or my wife hacks the programming...

2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

A friend has one, and his went through the rough just fine.

Most of the rough on the course I play is pretty short this time of year and I haven't had a need to run it through any rough. I will try to take a video of it in what passes for rough when I go out again Saturday.

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Almost as good as a caddie.  But does it read the green for you and wipe down your clubs?  I'm waiting for that version.

Not yet. But I also haven't had to give it a percentage of my winnings or give it a tip or buy it a drink or listen to it snigger as I thin a ball in the fairway...

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great cart.  I've been using the Cart-tee for 4 seasons.  Perfect?  No, but very close to it.  I like the back wheel and the remote.  I've got over 150 rounds with it, still using the original battery.  For someone looking at this thread because you're interested in a remote cart, I'd highly recommend the Cart-tee as another great option to MGI.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I finally got a video of my Zip Navigator rolling through what passes for the rough at the Grandview Golf Course today. It might have been easier to get a video of it underwater with a snorkel given the conditions here lately! Anyway, I think it does OK in the rough though I can't imagine why I would want to run it there as a matter of course...

It does bounce the clubs around in the thick stuff as you can probably hear. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It seems to have the most trouble in very wet, muddy grass if it's got any speed on. The wheels spin like a truck stuck in the mud. I've found it works best if I slow it down and let it crawl through the goop. I'm glad to be walking again.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I now have a bit over 60 miles walking with this cart (yes, it does have an odometer - actually 3 odometers - Trip A - Trip B and Total). I think I know a bit more about the good and not so good so thought I'd update this post in case someone is contemplating one of these in the future. These are my opinions, though, and not in any particular order:

1 - The cart has a GPS holder but, because of the placement, it's not very useful. It is located just about the bag portion holding my driver and fairway woods which makes it somewhat difficult to pull the clubs without bumping the GPD holder. I use Arccos and it would be very useful to be able to clamp my phone into the holder so that I could see the Arccos yardages, etc, as I worked my way around the fairways. 

2 - The scorecard holder is just a clip on the handle. This means that you need to remove the card from the clip and hold it in your hand to mark down a score and then return it to the clip. It would be nice if it was located on an accessible flat spot so you could mark down a score without having to remove and replace the card.

3 - Speed control. I would prefer if speed control was smoothly variable in an increasing or decreasing manner. Currently, the speed increases or decreases in small increments and I find that one speed is just a hair too fast for me and the next lower is just a hair too slow. Not a big deal and I find, as I walk more, it's getting a bit easier to keep up with the faster speed for more holes, but still.

4. - I've found that the cart works well on very wet and muddy courses. I've also found that it's best to slow down for mud and water otherwise the cart gets painted with an interesting pattern of muddy dots necessitating another cleaning. Also, traction is improved at the lower speed and the wheels don't spin out in the mud.

5 - I've found that the cart will climb some amazing slopes without tipping over and I enjoy the fact that going downhill the cart maintains its speed without going faster and faster.  On those hills that I think might be just a bit too steep for it I just walk alongside and gently hold the handle to help keep it from tipping backwards but most of the time it does just fine on its own.

6 - The cart is a bit harder to clean than I might like. It would be great if one could just take the hose and spray it off after one of those muddy rounds but they say not to do that so I put it on a table in the garage and go at it with damp rags. The wheel design is somewhat intricate and I've found it best to remove them for cleaning. Easy to do - just push a button and pull the wheel but they do take a bit of time to clean.

7 - The Lithium battery lasts a long time. A couple of times I've forgotten to charge the battery before the round but so far, knock on wood, it has not let me down. I'm pretty pleased with how long it lasts.

8 - There is a button the the top of the handle that allows you to control the speed while walking with the cart instead of using the remote. I don't use it but at least twice in the last 60+ miles I've bumped the button while pulling a club and had the cart unexpectedly begin to move forward. I can stop it by tapping the button again or pressing Stop on the remote but I do wish there was a way to deactivate the button on the cart so that it was controlled by the remote only. Or, conversely, deactivate the remote so it was controlled by the handle only.

9 - I really like that it will rotate 360 degrees in place. Choosing the rotating front wheels was the right choice. I've had the cart on the edge of a pond or bunker and can easily 180 it away from the hazard when done. A great feature.

10 - The cart folds easily and fits alongside my bag in the back of my car very easily. Of course I do have a Jeep Grand Cherokee so there is a goodly amount of room back there! It's light enough that I can pick it up and place it in the back or remove it and place it on the ground without straining. And it unfolds just as easily.

So, would I buy it again? Oh, yeah. It's been great for me not feeling like I'm trudging along shoving the cart ahead of me. I really enjoy being able to walk down the course freely. I like that I can bring it to me when needed and send it along when not needed. I can leave it on one side of a green or tee box and have it meet  me on the other side. It's been a great addition to my game. I hope the info above will help someone else make a more informed choice should they be contemplating a similar purchase.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • In a Chapman style two man scamble (net) me and my partner shot 81 on a tough private course. It was a bit long for us, both seniors, at 6270 yds. Strangely, though, it wasn't as much the distance as our approach shots, even inside 100 yds. For me, I am having issues with distance, not direction, hitting 60 yd lob shots over the green a bit (5 yds into the rough). We did manage to come in 2nd with a Net 75. Beautiful day in michigan for golf!
    • I have been going to Golf Tec a couple years.  My  first teacher left in March and I took a instructor who was much more organized and has begun to take me step by step. Now he is leaving and I had just signed up for a year because I was excited to have him.  Anyway the owner teaches Stack and Tilt and said he would take me on even though his schedule is busy. Any opinions on Stack and Tilt from experienced people here.  I ask as this thread is older. Also, I had a pro analyze my swing after I bought, "The Hanger" online. (It was part of the package), and his opinion was that Stack and Tilt was ineffective.  I struggle with consistency. Handicap 28.    
    • Better get your facetious meter re-calibrated. 😉 This was a take off on the silly idea that DeMarco gifted the 2005 Masters to Tiger.  😄
    • Not near as essential as ball striking. Approach shots>Drive>Short game > putting. Just the facts.
    • I see some variables: 1) is the course long? 2) are you comfortable putting with another club? If the course is long, then I’d go driver, 5w, 7i, and PW.    If the course isn’t long, then I’d go driver, 7i, PW, and putter. You can opt for another club if you don’t mind putting with other than putter. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Billy B
      Billy B
      (42 years old)
    2. Golf hack
      Golf hack
      (61 years old)
    3. GrinderUK
      GrinderUK
      (61 years old)
    4. macuis
      macuis
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...