IGNORED

What Are Your 2021 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The goalΒ this year is to start playing again. I didn’t pay a single round in 2020 due to a combination of a lack of time and some back issues but that’s behind me now and I’m ready to play again.Β 
Β 

Hopefully I can get out once or twice a month.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a firm believer in writing down goals so that they are not just a wish.Β  Here are mine

1 Win my senior club championship

2 Contend at the provincial senior amateur championship

3 Play in the Canadian Senior Amateur

4 Get the 2022 Scotland trip planned and start the reservation process

I have not played enough true competition in the past few years so I am using the fact that this is my first year as a senior to get me back into it.Β  I have a legitimate shot at #1, and #2 is not a stretch as it is being played at my course.Β  #3 is possible as it is played about 4.5 hours from me and I want to give it a shot.Β  Β Goal #4Β  - only problem here is spending too much time on this one!

To get these goals -

1Β  Β I have already started working on my putting stroke in the basement,Β  Stroke path is the focus.

2Β  Β My Speedsticks arrived this week .Β  Will start this training in March so I am ready for the season opening.

3Β  Getting new shaft in my driver.Β  Despite being fit for the old one, recent testing says it is not right for me at all.

4 Maintain focus throughout round - can take the game seriously AND relax and have fun too.Β  It's not life or death on every shot.

Β 

Check back in in 7 or 8 months.

Β 

Goal Number 1: PLAY MORE GOLF!!!!!!!!!

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  I think I only played about a half dozen full rounds of golf last year. ... ugh.Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  I've already signed up for a Wednesday Night Men's League. That should help.Β 

Goal Number 2: Keep a Handicap.

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  I think the league I signed up for will allow me access to keep a handicap. If not, I'll have to find another way.Β 

Goal Number 3: Take at least one golf related trip.Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Right now I'm either going to Las Vegas in late April/early May or playing in the Wisconsin trip that's talked about here:

Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

This is really getting old to say but I just wish l could start making time again to play, now that the virus may be becoming less burdensome on our lives I really need to make a real effort. I loveΒ this game so much simply because I feel it parallels life on so many ways, its just you against the course no other teammates to make up for your mistakes or hide from. I love the realization of improvement meaning you suddenly start realizing your seeing scores drop and how your playing certain holes different than say 3 months ago. I really miss posting my scores and watching where my index changes. Anyways my goal right now is just get out there and just do it and any encouragement fram anyone is welcome.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 2 weeks later...

- Get my index down to single digits (11,5 now)

- Play at least 50 18-hole rounds.Β 

- Break 80 from yellow tees at my home course (rated 73, 6350 yards)Β 

- Be more consistant with my driver. Now it goes both left and right and I hit less than half the fairways.Β Β 

- Get at least one eagle on a 500+ yards par 5 (my home course has 5 par 5sΒ  (500 - 550 yards from yellow tees),whereΒ the shortest one plays a lot longer with the green situated 25 yards higher than the tee,Β but all reachable in 2 with 2 close to perfect shots)

I will start the season with a 3 days "golfschool" with minimum 8 hours of pro lessons on the range and on the course, and put in enough hours/rounds this year to get there. I will also be more focused on not rushing shots and apply the "every shot counts the same" mindset as much as possible.Β Β Β 

Winter is slowly turning into spring here now, so with some luck the local golf courses might open up in a month or so. I really can't wait.Β 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.Β Β Very happy with the set and the gapping.Β 

No courses open, but the range was. I pulled out some 2009 Cleveland fairway woods. I was hitting the snot out of them. 2009 Cleveland hybrids, ditto.Β  I was able to work the ball gently both ways with a minimum of effort. TM's and Pings might have to sit on the shelf for a while.............

7 minutes ago, Esox said:

No courses open, but the range was. I pulled out some 2009 Cleveland fairway woods. I was hitting the snot out of them. 2009 Cleveland hybrids, ditto.Β  I was able to work the ball gently both ways with a minimum of effort. TM's and Pings might have to sit on the shelf for a while.............

Be careful about those range sessions.Β  I had a range session yesterday that Brooks Koepka would have envied.Β  I played today and a 36 handicapper would not have envied my round.Β  (A little dramatic license taken here...)

• Funny 1

Great topic!

My Goals for 2021:

GOALS

• Single digit IndexΒ (Currently 11.6)
  • More birdies that "others" (blow up holes are myΒ AchillesΒ heal)
  • GIR: 40%+Β 
  • FIR: 55%+ (currently 48% and I'm generous in what I consider a fairway hit)
  • Scrambling 25%+
  • Play a lot of golf!

ACTIONS

• Track hole by hole stats on every round
  • Focus on swinging "within" myself - tempo and control - I get too aggressive and leads to problems
  • Mental toughness - nicer to myself after screw upsΒ 
  • Getting my hips through (swing thought is hitting the ball with my right hip)
  • Proper fitting and gear upgrade as makes sense
  • Reread Lowest Score Wins! - embrace the wisdom for smarter golf
  • Consistent fade with driverΒ - Currently a 2-way miss is giving me fits
  • Lock in on my putting set up
  • Develop a more consistent golf fitness planΒ 

Did some testing at the range, trying to work towards my hitting better drives goal. Found that the TM SLDR is still the longest driver I think I have ever hit.Β  But it punishes minor mishits with a vicious hook. Over the winter my kid got me a Ping G400, it isn't the longest driver, but without a doubt the most forgiving.Β  I think it will stay in the bag for a while.

4 minutes ago, Esox said:

Did some testing at the range, trying to work towards my hitting better drives goal. Found that the TM SLDR is still the longest driver I think I have ever hit.Β  But it punishes minor mishits with a vicious hook. Over the winter my kid got me a Ping G400, it isn't the longest driver, but without a doubt the most forgiving.Β  I think it will stay in the bag for a while.

Try different shafts. Hook may indicate you "could" get better dispersion with a stiffer shaft.Β 

1. Shoot mid to high 80’s on my weekly outing.

2. Shoot low to mid 90’s on unfamiliar courses. Β 
How:

1. Lessons with a pro.Β 
2. practice more

3. figure out why the back nine scores are worse than the front (stamina, nutrition, focus, what????)

Β 

Having played golf for 30 years now and finally coming into my own after retirement, like everyone else my goals have changed each year.

Last year I accomplished something that I thought I would never be able to do and that is to win a championship at my club as a first year member. I was able to weather the brackets and win our Club Men's Match play Championship. Doing so reminded me that anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

So this year my goals for 2021 are as follows:

Reduce my handicap to at least 9.0 And maintain that or better throughout this year. I’m currently on the cusp of going back up to an 11 handicap after some recent setbacks in my personal game.

For the last two years I have attempted to make our club Challenge Cup team and failed to do so. So this year I would like to make our team so as to represent my club against Β another club in the area.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

Β 

Β 

My Dad had heart surgery last year. He nearly died, then had a wonderful recovery and decided to pick up the game of golf again after 25 years of not playing. It has helped him regain strength and gets him outside.Β So my goal this year is simple, play as much golf with my Dad as possible and be thankful for every minute of it.Β 

(But I will be trying to break 80 too!)

• Like 1

- Mark

Golf goals for 2021

1) Improve handicap. Am currently at 15 and looking at around 12 or so

2) Win a prize at a tournament this year in my home club. Open may be difficult, but handicap is more practical

3) Break 80. My home course is a par 70 so will be single digit over par

4) Learn and master one new shot to help improve my game

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 2 weeks later...

I only have two goals this year. Complete the birdie challenge either on the home course, on the away courses or (of course) both. Β I managed to finish the away courses last year, so let's repeat that.

The other goal is to stay in the single digits another year.

I am just happy with the little game I have: it won't get much better and I don't feel like working at it at this point. I have a decent short game (except from greenside bunkers, but it must be a mental thing), am not and will never be a long hitter, but don't make too many course management mistakes so I am ok with taking a bogey here and there.

I am just enjoying whatever round I am playing, with whomever I am playing it, wherever.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway:Β Maverick Driver,Β 3W, 5W Big BerthaΒ 
:mizuno:Β JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:Β  T7 55-09 and 60-10Β forged wedges,
:odyssey:Β #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 1/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, bweiss711 said:

My 2021 goals:

1) Maintain detailed stats for every round I play using Arccos, TheGrint, and a homemade spreadsheet.

2) Maintain an active streak for the entire calendar year in the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge.

• Focus of this year's practice will be ball striking.
  • Improved tee-to-green will get my score below 90 more often.Β 
  • Won't worry about short game or putting in an official capacity until tee-to-green improves.

3) Lower my index by hitting more greens and giving away fewer shots.

• Index lower than 17.2 (my current index).
  • 25% GIR (22% in 2020)Β 
  • 75% GIR+nGIR
  • Average less than 3 penalty strokesΒ per 18 holes.

4) Play at least 10 courses I've never played before.

After 81 "preseason" holes, I'm adjusting some of my goals to be more realistic.

Β 

My 2021 goals:

1) Maintain detailed stats for every round I play using Arccos, TheGrint, and a homemade spreadsheet.

2) Set an intentionΒ on staying focused during shorter practice sessions and avoid mindlessly hitting shot after shot.Β  Every shot and action should have a specific purpose.

• Focus of this year's practice will be ball striking.
  • Improved tee-to-green will get my score below 90 more often.Β 
  • Won't worry about short game or putting in an official capacity until tee-to-green improves.

3) Lower my index by hitting more greens and giving away fewer shots.

• Index lower than 17.2 (my current index).
  • 25% GIR (22% in 2020)Β 
  • 69% GIR+nGIR
  • Average less than 3 penalty strokesΒ per 18 holes.

4) Play at least 6Β courses I've never played before.

Edited by bweiss711

1.Β  Get my Index back to what it was about six months ago, 17.4.Β  I forgot how to swing, and play, it seems, and hit the hard cap.Β  So that means I need a five stroke improvement.Β  Since I know I have it in me, that should be doable.Β Β 

The rest are somewhat less goals, as steps to reach the main goal.

2.Β  Get more fit.Β  I'm 60 now, been through cancer, and the surgeries and chemo to beat that.Β  But, any tiny bit of physical conditioning I had (which was not much) went away. So, I will now:

Β  a.Β  Walk most rounds.Β  I got an electric caddie in January, and have almost 100 miles on it.Β  I have only ridden twice since then.Β  Once, the first week, when I had blister issues on my toes, the second on a course that just a lot more elevation change, as sell as distance between holes.Β  I believe I would have been too slow, even if I was fast.Β  I hope that I can walk even through the Arizona summer, time will tell.

Β b.Β  I subscribed to GolfForever.Β  Don't know yet if it is really any good, but it gives me some structure, and is doable, at least so far, a week in.

3.Β  Lessons.Β  I had taken a series at GolfTec (I know, maybe not the best, on the other hand it got me from about 27 to 17.4 in the year after I took them, so they certainly helped.Β  I am no longer a massive slicer.Β  I am taking another series now, I may change to online, or something else when that's complete, but I did shoot 43 on the back nine the other day (never mind the front), so I think there is improvement.

4.Β  Practice.Β  Getting to a lit range in the evening is a challenge.Β  Work, dang it!Β  So, I got a net, a mat, and a SC300 that I can use in the backyard.Β  And a light that I can set up on the wall behind it.Β  I wish I could see more of the flyout, but I can tell difference in contact, for sure.Β  Now I want to work on getting consistent wedge distances.Β  I think it will be useful for that.Β  I have a putting mirror and mat coming this week.Β  I can putt anything from pretty well (made two 30 footers in one round) to awful (I can miss any two footer in the world), I think it is partly inconsistent eye position.Β  At least I will be able to get to consistent, and go from there.Β  I plan do do some kind of practice at least 3 or 4 times a week.Β  I know every day would be good, but I want to be realistic.Β  Though, if you count practicing slow body movements while riding (alone) in the elevator, or waiting for the microwave, maybe I make every day!

Last, a fun goal.

5Β  My partner and I should win our summer work golf league!Β  That will be hard, the handicaps really even the field, and it means we both have to play well, but what the heck!

Β 

• Like 1

Note:Β This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!