IGNORED

What Are Your 2021 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, Troy Ocker said:

After a decent round yesterday i finally reached goal number 1 this season: HCP-index: 9,9. 

Now let's keep it there or lower. 

Hey Troy,

Thats fantastic mate, well done..!

I also hit a very similar goal on Saturday, l shot a gross 76 to take my handicap index to 9.5

To say im over the moon is a massive understatement.

My goals at the beginning of this season were: Break 80, single figure HC, work on a Draw

So far my lowest gross round this year has been 74, ive broke 80 5 times now, ive actually broke 75 once also, i have my single figure HC, but l still cant hit a draw consistently hahahaha

Im devastated that the season is all but over here in Scotland, the nights are dark and the weather is closing in

Brendan

• Like 1

There are one or two tournaments in my home club this year and I am hoping to play well enough to win some trophy.  Of course, it isn't easy given I play once a week at best and am not playing my home course regularly, but hope is eternal

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, mashienib said:

I am a firm believer in writing down goals so that they are not just a wish.  Here are mine

1 Win my senior club championship

2 Contend at the provincial senior amateur championship

3 Play in the Canadian Senior Amateur

4 Get the 2022 Scotland trip planned and start the reservation process

I have not played enough true competition in the past few years so I am using the fact that this is my first year as a senior to get me back into it.  I have a legitimate shot at #1, and #2 is not a stretch as it is being played at my course.  #3 is possible as it is played about 4.5 hours from me and I want to give it a shot.   Goal #4  - only problem here is spending too much time on this one!

To get these goals -

1   I have already started working on my putting stroke in the basement,  Stroke path is the focus.

2   My Speedsticks arrived this week .  Will start this training in March so I am ready for the season opening.

3  Getting new shaft in my driver.  Despite being fit for the old one, recent testing says it is not right for me at all.

4 Maintain focus throughout round - can take the game seriously AND relax and have fun too.  It's not life or death on every shot.

Check back in in 7 or 8 months.

So I can now report on my goals for the year.

1  Did not win the senior club championship.   Actually played in the "regular" division and totally played like shit.

2   Played well enough in the provincial seniors to get to the Nationals

3  Did play in the Canadian Senior Amateur.   Pleased to report that I made the cut and was in the top 15 goin into the final round.  Didnt finish well but was right there.

4  Scotland trip is all planned and deposits are in place.   Here we go baby!

Proud to say that the goals were pretty well addressed this year.   Still some things to reach for next year.

• Like 2

My 2021 Golf Goals are :

1. Learn yardages for each golf club.

2.Schedule an on-course lesson based on the strategy.

3. Make three birdies in the first 18 holes.

4. Complete around with no three-putts

5.Make a string of ten consecutive three-foot putts.

6. Work on my golf swing with my MISIG .

Actually play better than I thought when I started at age 61. Played a lot of golf in a short time but never a long hitter. In the last few weeks have decided that a goal of shooting my age would be pretty neat so that's my new goal. Have shot a couple 75's a few years ago and get to add a number in a couple of months plus playing shorter tees it might be possible. Play and maybe practice a little more is the plan. 

• Like 1

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

On 9/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, Bree1982 said:

Hey Troy,

Thats fantastic mate, well done..!

I also hit a very similar goal on Saturday, l shot a gross 76 to take my handicap index to 9.5

To say im over the moon is a massive understatement.

My goals at the beginning of this season were: Break 80, single figure HC, work on a Draw

So far my lowest gross round this year has been 74, ive broke 80 5 times now, ive actually broke 75 once also, i have my single figure HC, but l still cant hit a draw consistently hahahaha

Im devastated that the season is all but over here in Scotland, the nights are dark and the weather is closing in

Brendan

Thanks, mate!

The season is soon coming to an end here as well. I still can't shoot a controlled draw either, but my fades are getting more and more precise though. It's been a great season: I'm down to 8,0 HC now and I've gone 7,5 shots lower on average on my homecourse this year compared to last year. I've shot sereral rounds in the 70's on shorter courses this season, but still haven't broken 80 from the mens tee (6250 yards, 72,7 rating, 147 slope) at my homecourse. I've shot 80 three times and the last time I went +4 on the last 3 holes, so I know I got it in me. 

3-club (5i, PW and putter for me) tournament coming up on Sunday - can't wait! 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

8 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

Thanks, mate!

The season is soon coming to an end here as well. I still can't shoot a controlled draw either, but my fades are getting more and more precise though. It's been a great season: I'm down to 8,0 HC now and I've gone 7,5 shots lower on average on my homecourse this year compared to last year. I've shot sereral rounds in the 70's on shorter courses this season, but still haven't broken 80 from the mens tee (6250 yards, 72,7 rating, 147 slope) at my homecourse. I've shot 80 three times and the last time I went +4 on the last 3 holes, so I know I got it in me. 

3-club (5i, PW and putter for me) tournament coming up on Sunday - can't wait! 

Well done on the HC, your home course sounds like a real test..!  My home course is 69.8 rating and 125 slope, so shorter and easier i feel than yours.

Thats so unlucky going +4 on the last few holes, you probably did what l do and instantly regret it, checked your score..?

Enjoy the tourney, im toying with a round tomorrow, but 12 degrees, rain, 18mph wind, im not feeling it right now....

Brendan

It's really hard to hear my friends up north talk about putting their clubs away for the winter. I feel very lucky to live in Miami, Florida, where I know people who put their clubs away during the worst heat and humidity of summer. The best golf weather of the year here, however brief, is about to come.

As far as my goals I wrote about previously, mostly that I wanted to settle on one set of clubs that worked best for me, I got close, but I wouldn't call it an accomplishment. I've had back and shoulder issues and a Cobra one length set of irons has turned out to work best for me. I still have a normal staggered set of PXG clubs, but I'm not sure how much action they will see in the future.

My goal for the coming year, and I do hope we'll duplicate this thread for 2022, is simply to get in better physical shape so I can continue to play golf late into my 70s. Physical therapy for my injuries and surgeries is one thing, but it's left me lazy about taking care of the rest of my body. I need to do better.

And at 72 now, I still hold onto the goal of shooting my age in the coming years.

• Like 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

3 minutes ago, Bree1982 said:

Well done on the HC, your home course sounds like a real test..!  My home course is 69.8 rating and 125 slope, so shorter and easier i feel than yours.

Thats so unlucky going +4 on the last few holes, you probably did what l do and instantly regret it, checked your score..?

Enjoy the tourney, im toying with a round tomorrow, but 12 degrees, rain, 18mph wind, im not feeling it right now....

Brendan

You too! Well done!

Yeah, that finish sucked, especially considering I was mid-FW and 3 putted for a double on 16, GIR -3-putt for bogey on 17 and 2-putted from 4 feet for bogey on 18.  In other words a classic blow up finish. 🤮   

Your weather sounds similar to here nowadays. Hopepully it doesn't rain too much on Sunday though and if we're lucky we'll get 4 more weeks of golf before the frost kicks in.  

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

5 minutes ago, DennisMiller said:

It's really hard to hear my friends up north talk about putting their clubs away for the winter. I feel very lucky to live in Miami, Florida, where I know people who put their clubs away during the worst heat and humidity of summer. The best golf weather of the year here, however brief, is about to come.

As far as my goals I wrote about previously, mostly that I wanted to settle on one set of clubs that worked best for me, I got close, but I wouldn't call it an accomplishment. I've had back and shoulder issues and a Cobra one length set of irons has turned out to work best for me. I still have a normal staggered set of PXG clubs, but I'm not sure how much action they will see in the future.

My goal for the coming year, and I do hope we'll duplicate this thread for 2022, is simply to get in better physical shape so I can continue to play golf late into my 70s. Physical therapy for my injuries and surgeries is one thing, but it's left me lazy about taking care of the rest of my body. I need to do better.

And at 72 now, I still hold onto the goal of shooting my age in the coming years.

Thats fantastic that you are still getting to play..!

I live in Scotland right now, but we are immigrating to the USA, Charleston SC to be more specific, so l hope to enjoy golf well into these months from next year on 🙂

I love my PXG, l have driver, 3wood, 19 & 22 degree hybrids all PXG and i adore them, Mizuno JPX 921 Forged atm in irons and l cant see me changing them anytime soon, they are brilliant

Hope you get your 72...!

Brendan

2 minutes ago, Troy Ocker said:

You too! Well done!

Yeah, that finish sucked, especially considering I was mid-FW and 3 putted for a double on 16, GIR -3-putt for bogey on 17 and 2-putted from 4 feet for bogey on 18.  In other words a classic blow up finish. 🤮   

Your weather sounds similar to here nowadays. Hopepully it doesn't rain too much on Sunday though and if we're lucky we'll get 4 more weeks of golf before the frost kicks in.  

Just noticed your in Norway, somewhere ive always wanted to visit, there and Sweden.  You guys have a colder winter than us, but l think you could enjoy it more as its a proper winter, with snow and ice.  We just get rain, rain, wind oh and some more rain.... till April  I absolutely hate the weather in Scotland.

But as l said on another post, pastures new next year and golf will be playable all year round, SC is very mild through our winter season.

Brendan

On 10/8/2021 at 5:28 AM, DennisMiller said:

Drinks on me if you shoot your age!  The odds are incredibly steep.  More than the odds for a hole-in-one.  0000089% of golfers shoot their age.  9 in 1 million.  Though some golfers have done it multiple times.  (My free drinks offer is only for the first time you do it)

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Drinks on me if you shoot your age!  The odds are incredibly steep.  More than the odds for a hole-in-one.  0000089% of golfers shoot their age.  9 in 1 million.  Though some golfers have done it multiple times.  (My free drinks offer is only for the first time you do it)

I never knew the odds are so low. I used to regularly play with an older gentlemen in his late 70s into his early 80s and he was shooting his age about 10 times a year (he was playing 2 to 3 times a week at that course), from the very forward tees: always down the middle, hardly ever a penalty stroke, a decent approach and good to very good short game. I told him I wanted to be like him when I grow up... 🙂

Shooting my age is my long term goal in golf. While in theory, it could happen any day, realistically I would have to wait another 15 years or so for it to happen, and if I can still play golf adequately then, even without breaking my age, I'd be ahead of the game, walking on this side of the grass. 👍

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Hi SJDuffers... You're right, the odds are low. Here's the thing though...

I was a +1 handicap through my 30s and early 40s. There is still some knowledge about how to play and score between my big floppy ears. That helps when my old body cooperates with me.

I've lost a lot of distance over the years, but I haven't really lost much accuracy. To make up for the lost distance, the course I play most these days is barely over 6000 yards. I can still hit driver and a mid to short into most par 4 holes.

Also, my putting is still much closer to what it once was than the rest of my game, so I'm sometimes able to save a score.

Sure, I could be overly confidant about it, but most of the time when I don't break 80, I can usually point to shots that cost me more shots. Avoiding mistakes like those goes back to the first paragraph.

My mind still wants to work like Arnold Palmer. I still want to hit the spectacular save from the mouth of an alligator and such. If I could spend a day when things come together, but at the same time, overcome what my mind tells me I could do long ago, I'm confidant it's still possible to shoot my age.

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Good point. When I was reading about the odds it did mention it was for courses over 6,000 yards.

Ok then. By the time I really try for it (say another 10 years or so to be in the mid-70s), I will play from less than 6000 yards, maybe 5700-5800. It still not an easy task, considerably more difficult than the no-sixes challenge, which itself is not so easy.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Up early and thinking, dangerous. A few of us have shooting our age as a goal and that got me to thinking about the reasons why it might be so hard. I only know one man personally that has done that I have played very much with and he didn't until he was 90. Looking at the 20/25 people that I have played the most with maybe a chance to do it, there's only a couple left that are able to play. Several have died and several are just not able physically to still play. Don't want this to seem negative because it is not intended to be but maybe harsh reality. We are playing this morning, age 75 & 87 and both appreciate that we can do it. Do have one friend that probably does shoot his age fairly regular but he is at a different level than most of us and doesn't play often with us. To sum this up, the golf may not be the hardest part.

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

2 hours ago, gg194 said:

To sum this up, the golf may not be the hardest part.

I totally agree. At 72, within the past 5 years I've had surgeries on my shoulders and one wrist, all of which kept me from playing for a period of time during the recovery. Most of all, every time, it got harder to get back what I considered the best game I'm capable of.

There was one benefit of that, which turned out to be fun. I made space in the backyard and set up a mat, full shot net and chipping net to practice on.

Note: This thread is 832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!