21 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Got my new Titleist  T-200 irons today with the KBS S-Taper shafts.  Took them on the course this afternoon, really liked the trajectory and spin.  We’ll see how it goes when I get a chance to use them during a real round, but just in the 9 holes I hit them, the ball travelled farther and turned with much less spin then my AP-2’s.  Next on the list is the new Titleist driver.  :beer:

We didn't talk about this, but I got T200s this spring, replacing my old AP2s.  The new ones go about a club longer, but that's logical based on the decreased lofts.  Despite the loft, they launch just like the old ones.  Another way to look at it is that my new 150-yard club (8-iron) flies higher than my old 150 yard club (7-iron).  So far I'm pretty happy with them.  My next thing to replace is probably a couple of wedges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We didn't talk about this, but I got T200s this spring, replacing my old AP2s.  The new ones go about a club longer, but that's logical based on the decreased lofts.  Despite the loft, they launch just like the old ones.  Another way to look at it is that my new 150-yard club (8-iron) flies higher than my old 150 yard club (7-iron).  So far I'm pretty happy with them.  My next thing to replace is probably a couple of wedges.

I think you did show them too me on the range at Stoneleigh, when we played with @billchao the last time.  I think you had the AMT-Red shafts on them.

I need new wedges too, especially with the different gaps, I now have.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So basically the stronger lofted clubs launch higher and will use descent angle for stopping power rather than spin or did you find that the T200 8 Iron got the same spin as the AP2 7 Iron?

30 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

So basically the stronger lofted clubs launch higher and will use descent angle for stopping power rather than spin or did you find that the T200 8 Iron got the same spin as the AP2 7 Iron?

I didn't look at spin numbers specifically, but I'm having no problem stopping the ball.  And for @jsgolfer, I made sure to get the 48* second wedge (the PW is 43, if I remember right), which corresponds to my previous PW in distance.  

1 hour ago, Lugowskins said:

The T200 7 iron had much less spin then my AP2 7 Iron, that was the iron I used for the fitting.  Less spin, higher launch and farther distance, by more than a club according to trackman.  Trackman had me hitting the T200 7-Iron 180 carry and my AP2 160 (which is pretty much what I hit this on the course).    

2 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

The T200 7 iron had much less spin then my AP2 7 Iron, that was the iron I used for the fitting.  Less spin, higher launch and farther distance, by more than a club according to trackman.  Trackman had me hitting the T200 7-Iron 180 carry and my AP2 160 (which is pretty much what I hit this on the course).    

Yeah I knew that would be the case more wondering at certain distances how the spin rate compares. Something I never understood about fitting is why they compare everything based on the numbers on the club instead of the distance the ball is traveling. Like why are we not comparing descent angle and spin rate based on the carry rather than the arbitrary number on the club? All well and good if I'm hitting my 8 iron as far as my 7 now but if it's not helping me stick the green at that distance what's it matter other than "bragging" you hit that club further than your buddies? 

4 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Yeah I knew that would be the case more wondering at certain distances how the spin rate compares. Something I never understood about fitting is why they compare everything based on the numbers on the club instead of the distance the ball is traveling. Like why are we not comparing descent angle and spin rate based on the carry rather than the arbitrary number on the club? All well and good if I'm hitting my 8 iron as far as my 7 now but if it's not helping me stick the green at that distance what's it matter other than "bragging" you hit that club further than your buddies? 

That's what we looked at, spin rate, smash factor, launch angle, ball height, ball speed, etc.  The new clubs, spin less, launch higher, go higher and fly farther. and land softer.  My old clubs had lots more spin on them, especially sideways spin as I draw (sometimes hook) the ball.  The new clubs, which I've only hit once, had much less turn, went higher, landed softer and didn't spin hard left like my old clubs.    

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

That's what we looked at, spin rate, smash factor, launch angle, ball height, ball speed, etc.  The new clubs, spin less, launch higher, go higher and fly farther. and land softer.  My old clubs had lots more spin on them, especially sideways spin as I draw (sometimes hook) the ball.  The new clubs, which I've only hit once, had much less turn, went higher, landed softer and didn't spin hard left like my old clubs.    

Yeah but you checked them all against a 7 iron when you said you hit the new clubs about a club longer so why not compare the new 7 against your old 6? Just something I find odd that they do in fittings.

9 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Yeah but you checked them all against a 7 iron when you said you hit the new clubs about a club longer so why not compare the new 7 against your old 6? Just something I find odd that they do in fittings.

That might work if you're fitting for a single choice of clubhead, try to find the original club that compares to the new 7-iron, although it definitely adds a step to the process.  But if you're deciding between a number of potential choices, how do you compare the T200 against the T100, or the Ping, or the TM, when they each might go a different distance?  Do you stock 3 or 4 different irons from each line, so you can compare the T200 7-iron to the Ping 8-iron and the TM 6-iron?  A fitter could probably answer this better, but I see issues with both the stocking of the fitter, and the time required to make the comparisons you suggest.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That might work if you're fitting for a single choice of clubhead, try to find the original club that compares to the new 7-iron, although it definitely adds a step to the process.  But if you're deciding between a number of potential choices, how do you compare the T200 against the T100, or the Ping, or the TM, when they each might go a different distance?  Do you stock 3 or 4 different irons from each line, so you can compare the T200 7-iron to the Ping 8-iron and the TM 6-iron?  A fitter could probably answer this better, but I see issues with both the stocking of the fitter, and the time required to make the comparisons you suggest.

My thought is that you'll have your own set there so you can still only hit their 7 irons from each potential set but compare the numbers to the equivalent yardage in your current set. That seems like a much better way to distinguish actual improvement in my opinion. So say you hit your 7 and you're carrying it 170 go to try out a set with a weaker loft and you hit it 160 why not hit a few with your 8 iron and compare those numbers instead.

8 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

My thought is that you'll have your own set there so you can still only hit their 7 irons from each potential set but compare the numbers to the equivalent yardage in your current set. That seems like a much better way to distinguish actual improvement in my opinion. So say you hit your 7 and you're carrying it 170 go to try out a set with a weaker loft and you hit it 160 why not hit a few with your 8 iron and compare those numbers instead.

I was looking for something that went higher and had less spin then my current set, regardless of the number on the club.  My new 7 iron is the same loft as my current 6 iron.  But it was the height and spin rate that I was looking to get more control of, which seems to be the case based only on my limited time of hitting them.  We shall see how it goes over the coming year, as I play more with them.

7 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I was looking for something that went higher and had less spin then my current set, regardless of the number on the club.  My new 7 iron is the same loft as my current 6 iron.  But it was the height and spin rate that I was looking to get more control of, which seems to be the case based only on my limited time of hitting them.  We shall see how it goes over the coming year, as I play more with them.

Wasn't necessarily speaking about your experience more fittings in general. Just ranting lol

1 minute ago, Lugowskins said:

We shall see how it goes over the coming year, as I play more with them.

Now that you've essentially gained a club did you add a wedge to fill the gap that I'm assuming it created at the bottom of your bag?