IGNORED

Getting Fitted, Iron Suggestions?

Note: This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One thing that's cool about Mizuno is their irons cost the same no matter what grip you put on them. They also generally have way more shaft options as standard. They have a huge array of "no-upcharge" shafts. I've always liked that about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you're doing a fitting, I'd bet they'll have both clubheads available.  Take a look, maybe swing both, and see if one of them fits what you want. 

You have a whole bunch of iron candidates on your list, I don't know if you'll have the time (or endurance) to try all of them at one session, you might want to narrow the selection before you actually get to the fitting.  I'm not a big believer in a "perfect choice", I think that as long as you select a good manufacturer and a competent fitter, you can get a club that will work great.  

I'd like to get the list down to about 5 which is partially what this post was originally about, is 5 too many? I will stay there all day I'm in my garage practicing for 3+ hours all the time not concerned about endurance lol I'm prepared to spend over 2 grand while I'm there so I'm for sure going to cover my bases! 

11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

One thing that's cool about Mizuno is their irons cost the same no matter what grip you put on them. They also generally have way more shaft options as standard. They have a huge array of "no-upcharge" shafts. I've always liked that about them.

That's a good point. I'm going into it hopefully with the mindset of price doesn't matter (to a degree) just get whatever is going to fit the absolute best. I know the shaft options aren't as vast as the woods and I have ideas where I'd like to start so hopefully that will go quick and I can bounce around trying heads until I land on something. Then once I have the iron set picked out re-assess the budget and #1 find a new hyrbid shaft #2 try out driver shafts then #3 look at getting fit for a new 5 wood.

26 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

I know the shaft options aren't as vast as the woods

You may be surprised here. 

Some might say there are more shaft options for irons. Remember there are both steel and graphite for irons. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Five seems like lot, but you might be able to eliminate a few quickly based on looks at address. This might be helpful:

image.thumb.png.f0dc4fabc196f125d2a57410660624ea.png

If you are not familiar with the Maltby Playability Factor, it supposedly indicates how forgiving a club might be. The higher the number, the more forgiving. Based on this, I personally would pass on the Wilson with the 224 rating. If you gravitate to the Titleist or the 2019 Mizuno's you might have a better chance of scoring a discount on price.

I got fitted four years ago and was looking at the Ping G30, G, and ie1. I quickly eliminated the G30 based on looks. I hit a number of 7i shots from my then-current set of G5s to get a base line. I then hit about 8 to 10 with the 7i of the other two sets and we reviewed the data on Trackman. This was in a sheltered portion of an outdoor range (January, Ohio). I think it is important to see the total ball flight and not just see a shot get absorbed into a net.

The Trackman indicated that the game improvement 7 iron flew a little farther, but the dispersion was greater. I went with more on a conventional ie1. I also got fitted for driver, 3w and 3h that day. Took about 1-1/2 hours. The normal $100 fee was reduced to $50 since I bought that day.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out!

Edited by Carl3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Five seems like lot, but you might be able to eliminate a few quickly based on looks at address. This might be helpful:

image.thumb.png.f0dc4fabc196f125d2a57410660624ea.png

If you are not familiar with the Maltby Playability Factor, it supposedly indicates how forgiving a club might be. The higher the number, the more forgiving. Based on this, I personally would pass on the Wilson with the 224 rating. If you gravitate to the Titleist or the 2019 Mizuno's you might have a better chance of scoring a discount on price.

I got fitted four years ago and was looking at the Ping G30, G, and ie1. I quickly eliminated the G30 based on looks. I hit a number of 7i shots from my then-current set of G5s to get a base line. I then hit about 8 to 10 with the 7i of the other two sets and we reviewed the data on Trackman. This was in a sheltered portion of an outdoor range (January, Ohio). I think it is important to see the total ball flight and not just see a shot get absorbed into a net.

The Trackman indicated that the game improvement 7 iron flew a little farther, but the dispersion was greater. I went with more on a conventional ie1. I also got fitted for driver, 3w and 3h that day. Took about 1-1/2 hours. The normal $100 fee was reduced to $50 since I bought that day.

Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out!

Excellent info thank you! I'll definitely be diving into that tonight. It wont be for another month or so before I go in so I hope I remember to come back to this!

Edited by Lugowskins

After a lot of deliberation I have narrowed my search down to 5 iron sets i think that's a good number. I am looking to set the date for February 5th the day after my birthday it's a Friday and I already put in for the day off work couldn't be more excited.

Srixon ZX7 and ZX5 combo set (the leader in the clubhouse just based on looks and will be released by then) If they still have the 785s available I'll look at those since last I saw they were on sale for almost half the price of the new irons. Little worried about gapping with a combo set I don't want to all of a sudden have a 25-30 yard gap between my 7 and 6 iron.

Mizuno MP20 MMC 

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour both Mizunos are a little hotter than my current set worried about losing spin but have a feeling once I hit them I'll be in love

Titleist T100 closest to what I'm playing now correct shafts might make them perfect.

Cobra King Forged CB/MB combo set kind of a dark horse but they certainly fit everything I'm looking for so looking forward to trying them

• iacas changed the title to Getting Fitted, Iron Suggestions?
  • 1 month later...

So yesterday was the day! It was literally the worst day possible to go unfortunately as we had our worst winter storm of the year so far. Its about an hour 45 commute as is but turned into closer to 2 and a half stressful hours of mostly highway driving. Anyway, it was awesome once I got there. The fitter was cool, the technology was incredible, getting to see all my numbers was eye opening, and testing out a bunch of equipment was addicting. I could have spent all day in there (and almost did).

I ended up testing into the same shafts I was already playing the KBS C-taper 130 X which I thought was interesting. I tried out some lighter ones which I was swinging faster but had a tougher time controlling the face. This was backed up by the numbers, my feel, and the shaft optimizer tool they had (I think that's a Mizuno tool).

I was incredibly excited to hit the new Srixon ZX7s and was really hoping a combo set with the ZX5s would be where I wound up but I simply hit them too far. The lofts are only 2 degrees stronger than the clubs I ended up with but in 9 shots with the 7 iron (minus one skanky one) I was carrying 195 on average while 180 was my goal distance. They felt good and dispersion was decent but descent angle and spin were far too low for my liking. 

I also hit the Ping I210s which ended up being the shortest iron and didn't feel as smooth, the Titleist T100s which were close to getting picked as they hit all the numbers I just wanted to move away from Titleist, the Cobra CB/ MB combo which again were close but didn't feel as good as the winner.

It took about 3 swings with the Mizuno JPX 921 Tours before I knew that's where I wanted to go. I hit probably 15-20 shots total with them averaged 179 carry with high spin and descent angle at 50 degrees (some will say that's too steep but I play on firm greens and we were hitting off mats which from my understanding increases launch angle slightly). They felt incredible and the ball flight was just different. I got those in the PW-6 iron and I combined them with the 4-5 in the MP20 MMC. I could have gone with the forged line in the JPX series but I already loved the MMCs they were more forgiving than the tours and I hit a few of them and they felt great and hit the numbers I wanted.

Now the best takeaway from the fitting was that I need to be playing 2 degrees upright once we made that change it was a night and day difference. I wont use the term "striping it" but contact point and ball flight improved once we did that which was greatly encouraging.

The only other purchase I made while there I spent probably an hour and a half in the putting bay and worked through dozens of putters but I definitely found my forever putter. The Evnroll ER2 murdered out with a gravity grip holy smokes no other putter feels like this thing. I bounced around a lot but I kept going back to this. It took some time and tons of putts to convince myself spending over $350 for a putter was a good idea but I am so glad I pulled the trigger I absolutely love this thing. 

So overall a great experience and a fun day I am looking forward to going back someday possibly for a gapping session and new wedges. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

high spin and descent angle at 50 degrees (some will say that's too steep but I play on firm greens and we were hitting off mats which from my understanding increases launch angle slightly).

Good call man. Many neglect to consider this. 

3 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

So yesterday was the day! It was literally the worst day possible to go unfortunately as we had our worst winter storm of the year so far. Its about an hour 45 commute as is but turned into closer to 2 and a half stressful hours of mostly highway driving. Anyway, it was awesome once I got there. The fitter was cool, the technology was incredible, getting to see all my numbers was eye opening, and testing out a bunch of equipment was addicting. I could have spent all day in there (and almost did).

I ended up testing into the same shafts I was already playing the KBS C-taper 130 X which I thought was interesting. I tried out some lighter ones which I was swinging faster but had a tougher time controlling the face. This was backed up by the numbers, my feel, and the shaft optimizer tool they had (I think that's a Mizuno tool).

I was incredibly excited to hit the new Srixon ZX7s and was really hoping a combo set with the ZX5s would be where I wound up but I simply hit them too far. The lofts are only 2 degrees stronger than the clubs I ended up with but in 9 shots with the 7 iron (minus one skanky one) I was carrying 195 on average while 180 was my goal distance. They felt good and dispersion was decent but descent angle and spin were far too low for my liking. 

I also hit the Ping I210s which ended up being the shortest iron and didn't feel as smooth, the Titleist T100s which were close to getting picked as they hit all the numbers I just wanted to move away from Titleist, the Cobra CB/ MB combo which again were close but didn't feel as good as the winner.

It took about 3 swings with the Mizuno JPX 921 Tours before I knew that's where I wanted to go. I hit probably 15-20 shots total with them averaged 179 carry with high spin and descent angle at 50 degrees (some will say that's too steep but I play on firm greens and we were hitting off mats which from my understanding increases launch angle slightly). They felt incredible and the ball flight was just different. I got those in the PW-6 iron and I combined them with the 4-5 in the MP20 MMC. I could have gone with the forged line in the JPX series but I already loved the MMCs they were more forgiving than the tours and I hit a few of them and they felt great and hit the numbers I wanted.

Now the best takeaway from the fitting was that I need to be playing 2 degrees upright once we made that change it was a night and day difference. I wont use the term "striping it" but contact point and ball flight improved once we did that which was greatly encouraging.

The only other purchase I made while there I spent probably an hour and a half in the putting bay and worked through dozens of putters but I definitely found my forever putter. The Evnroll ER2 murdered out with a gravity grip holy smokes no other putter feels like this thing. I bounced around a lot but I kept going back to this. It took some time and tons of putts to convince myself spending over $350 for a putter was a good idea but I am so glad I pulled the trigger I absolutely love this thing. 

So overall a great experience and a fun day I am looking forward to going back someday possibly for a gapping session and new wedges. 

You're right the roads were bad!   Congrats on what sounds like a great fitting.   I'm guessing because of the dozens of putters you spoke of, you went to Carl's, yes?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@Lugowskinsi am pmpressed. You drove from the Thumb yesterday. My wife & I worked from home because of the roads and our drive would be much shorter and I doubt nearly as bad as you got in the Thumb.  Glad the fitting went well.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

You're right the roads were bad!   Congrats on what sounds like a great fitting.   I'm guessing because of the dozens of putters you spoke of, you went to Carl's, yes?

Miles of Golf down in Ann Arbor place was awesome could have spent all day in their range even with the wind blowing snow into my bay lol

1 hour ago, StuM said:

@Lugowskinsi am pmpressed. You drove from the Thumb yesterday. My wife & I worked from home because of the roads and our drive would be much shorter and I doubt nearly as bad as you got in the Thumb.  Glad the fitting went well.

It was pretty wild on the way in but the way home was much worse as the wind really picked up, it made for an interesting day! Thank you it was a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Good call man. Many neglect to consider this. 

Its been a boring winter I had plenty of time to study up lol

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, Lugowskins said:

Also, another fitting question. Along with the iron fitting there are a couple other improvements I want to make. I need to get a new shaft for my hybrid i bought it secondhand and its one of my favorite clubs but it has a regular shaft feels like its made of rubber as I swing it 100mph. I want to try other driver shafts I have the G410 LST head that I love but I have their ping x flex 75 gram shaft that I hit well but feel like I could gain a good amount of club head speed with a lighter shaft. And lastly would love to get fitted for a new 5 wood I don't hate my old Taylormade RBZ but again it has a regular flex shaft and I'm not consistent with it. So should I see about doing all this in one session or should I do the iron fitting and do this in a second session? 

75 gram shaft is heavy, most driver shafts are down in the 50 to 60 gram weight these days.

I would take my entire bag to a fitting and work through all your clubs.. You may not need new irons, perhaps just a shaft change unless you just want a new set. 

If you're having trouble with your 4 and 5 irons perhaps look at hybrids to replace them.

Seems like you have a mixed bag that you are trying to straighten out, a good fitter with lots of options could really help you get on the right track.

Best of luck.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:46 PM, cooke119 said:

75 gram shaft is heavy, most driver shafts are down in the 50 to 60 gram weight these days.

I would take my entire bag to a fitting and work through all your clubs.. You may not need new irons, perhaps just a shaft change unless you just want a new set. 

If you're having trouble with your 4 and 5 irons perhaps look at hybrids to replace them.

Seems like you have a mixed bag that you are trying to straighten out, a good fitter with lots of options could really help you get on the right track.

Best of luck.

4 & 5 are nowhere near bad enough to move to hybrids just looking for a little more forgiveness and I think I got that getting them in the mp20 mmc.

Moving to a lighter and possibly shorter shaft for my driver is on my agenda we didn't have time to get to that in my fitting only focused on irons. 

Intend on going back for a gapping session and tweaking some things before the season starts but I'm happy with the purchases I made. 

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

Nice job researching, testing and finding the clubs you like. It's sometimes a bit difficult to read the posts from people who go out and buy a set of clubs and then come ask if they got the right ones. But, I'm betting you are going to be happy with yours for a long time.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I have been a Ping iron player since 1986 until about 2 years ago. I had a pro recommend switching to graphite to reduce wear and tear on my body. I chose 919 Hot Metals because the price was the same for steel or graphite shafts. Also, I liked the Recoil 95s more than the Ping stock graphite, and there was no upcharge. I think Ping wanted $30 per club for the Recoils.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

Finally!

2661.jpeg

Don't be a tease!  All I see is a box! and they are a dime a dozen (maybe more now)  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Bag appeal! This finally completes my bag I want to do a driver fitting next year but other than that this will be it for a long time. Ping G410 LST, Cobra F9 Tour 5 wood, Titleist  816 H1 21 degree hybrid, Mizuno MP20 MMC 4 and 5 iron, Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 6 through PW, Mizuno S18 wedges in 50 54 and 60 degree, and finally my EVNROLL ER2 putter which is my baby lol.

Oh and you might notice there's an extra club in there its an old Wilson gooseneck 2 iron I cleaned up and re gripped that I mess around with from time to time. I want to make a whole other bag with just clubs from the late 80s early 90s that's the next project. 

16162413503652961260098009770631.jpg

16162414433331728853407319198534.jpg

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!