IGNORED

NHL 2020-21 (or just 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wilson, who has been suspended five times and fined three more in just eight seasons, was instead given a $5,000 fine. 

If the NHL wanted to get rid of goon type behavior, they could do so very quickly. If you come down hard on this type of behavior, like a 5 game suspension w/o pay it would stop immediately. Look at this guy's track record above and he only gets a $5K fine, pocket change to these guys. A suspension or fine is supposed to act as a deterrent, but I doubt it will have that effect in this instance.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

If the NHL wanted to get rid of goon type behavior, they could do so very quickly. If you come down hard on this type of behavior, like a 5 game suspension w/o pay it would stop immediately. Look at this guy's track record above and he only gets a $5K fine, pocket change to these guys. A suspension or fine is supposed to act as a deterrent, but I doubt it will have that effect in this instance.

Five games is weak, too. Stronger than $5k but still, weak.

And I think all suspensions are without pay. I think their pay is donated to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Five games is weak, too. Stronger than $5k but still, weak.

And I think all suspensions are without pay. I think their pay is donated to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Yes probably a bit weak, and I would love to see some stiff suspensions and you would see this stuff disappear quick! I like good physical hockey, but clean hockey.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

And of course f***ing Keith Jones thinks "credit to the players" for handling this, etc. Said "this would have happened even if Tom Wilson had been suspended for a game." Bullshit.

Jones as a commentator hasn't aged well.

I agree that a suspension, even a fairly short one, would have avoided a lot of it. Other than maybe Smith, they aren't adept fighters. I'm sure they didn't really relish what they felt they needed to do Wednesday night. However, when the league doesn't step in, you got to show up and show you won't let yourself get pushed around.

The NHL wants to avoid these occasional situations, they'll learn a lesson here. The alternative clearly would signal that they don't.

Edited by mcanadiens

• Administrator

Gostisbehere's suspension (two games) was right. Wilson's should have been about ten. Maybe more considering his history.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was going to start a new thread but I thought I would post a question in here, the title seems a bit generic so I will ask here.

How long is the NHL season?
The 2018–19 NHL season was the 102nd season of operation (101st season of play) of the National Hockey League. 31 teams competed in an 82-game regular season. The regular season began on October 3, 2018, and ended on April 6, 2019. Also, two weeks of pre-season games at the 2nd half of september. With PO's running to the beginning of June.

This year is a bit different than other years, but hockey is going into July. My question, based on a normal season, is how do you enjoy the length of season the NHL has established? Would you change the length? Would you change the start/finish dates? # of games? etc

Here is the PO schedule dates for this year, definitely an anomoly:

On 5/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, Billy Z said:

Would you change the start/finish dates? # of games? etc

I don't think there is any question that the quality would be better with fewer games. They could go back to a 72-game schedule like in the old days and it would be fine with me.

That said, they'll never do it. Each game played means revenue. Nobody, owner or player, wants to give back money at this point.

• Booooooooo 1

16 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I don't think there is any question that the quality would be better with fewer games. They could go back to a 72-game schedule like in the old days and it would be fine with me.

That said, they'll never do it. Each game played means revenue. Nobody, owner or player, wants to give back money at this point.

You probably hit the nail on the head with your comment!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, mcanadiens said:

Interpret the reaction as expressing sadness at how right you are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ouch, nasty collision for Tavares tonight.  I'm not a Leaf fan in any shape or form, but you don't want to see guys hauled out on a stretcher like that.

Corey

• 2 weeks later...

Even without Tavares, I never would have guessed the Canadiens would take out Toronto this year. 

Watched the game with a Maple Leaf fan friend of mine. It was sort of weird watching him go from nervous to frustrated to upset and then finally despondent.

I really impressed myself with how gracious I was.

13 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Even without Tavares, I never would have guessed the Canadiens would take out Toronto this year. 

Watched the game with a Maple Leaf fan friend of mine. It was sort of weird watching him go from nervous to frustrated to upset and then finally despondent.

I really impressed myself with how gracious I was.

I can see the Habs taking out Winnipeg, too.  But then they'll be swept by the juggernaut known as the Avalanche.

Corey

5 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

I can see the Habs taking out Winnipeg, too.  But then they'll be swept by the juggernaut known as the Avalanche.

Only caught a very little bit of the Avalanche so far, but what I saw looked scary.

7 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Only caught a very little bit of the Avalanche so far, but what I saw looked scary.

Me too! Colorado looks like a team that could win it all. I will go out on a limb and say Colorado wins the cup. Amazing speed on that team. McKinnon blew around a couple Dman and scored a beautiful goal the other night! One of the most impressive goals I have seen in awhile. Watch this:

https://youtu.be/wRrHNTFhn5I

Edited by Billy Z
fn typo

5 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Me too! Colorado looks like a team that could win it all. I will go out on a limb and say Colorado wins the cup. Amazing speed on that team. McKinnon blew around a couple Dman and scored a beautiful goal the other night! One of the most impressive goals I have seen in awhile. Watch this:

https://youtu.be/wRrHNTFhn5I

D-man helped him a lot by going the wrong way at the start but the move and shot were butter.

Nasty hit near the end of the Montreal Winnipeg game, where a Winnipeg player charged a Montreal player and just leveled him. Not sure the names of the players.

Montreal player = Jake Evans

Winnipeg player = Mark Scheifele

Edited by Billy Z

2 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Nasty hit near the end of the Montreal Winnipeg game, where a Winnipeg player charged a Montreal player and just leveled him. Not sure the names of the players.

Montreal player = Jake Evans

Winnipeg player = Mark Scheifele

Was the hit completely unnecessary or only mostly?

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!