IGNORED

NHL 2020-21 (or just 2021)

iacas

Oh you mean Tampa’s superstar *Cough* Kucherov playing for Veteran league minimum and having incentivized bonuses that don’t count toward the salary cap? This shit is done in football and basketball, too. It’s nothing new.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Oh you mean Tampa’s superstar *Cough* Kucherov playing for Veteran league minimum and having incentivized bonuses that don’t count toward the salary cap? This shit is done in football and basketball, too. It’s nothing new.

No.

His cap hit is $9.5M. His base salary is $3.5M.

logo_square.png

Nikita Kucherov cap hit, salary, contracts, contract history, earnings, aav, free agent status

The NHL doesn’t work like the NBA or NFL.

It counts toward the cap.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.

His cap hit is $9.5M. His base salary is $3.5M.

logo_square.png

Nikita Kucherov cap hit, salary, contracts, contract history, earnings, aav, free agent status

The NHL doesn’t work like the NBA or NFL.

It counts toward the cap.

But he’s making $12M this season… way to circumvent the CAP….

• Administrator

Look at his 2026-27 season where he is making $7M… and counts as $9.5M against the cap.

The NHL is nothing like football here. What they paid is what counts against the cap, averaged.

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

I know it’s average annual value of the contract. 8y/$76M is $9.5M a year.

Right so there’s no cap circumvention.

The issue with them this year was LTIR loophole.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Basically the player gets screwed in the end of long term deals?

No.

In fact it’s better for them to get more up front because if they retire they lose out on less.

It benefits the team too because if they retire the cap hit savings outpace the costs.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.

In fact it’s better for them to get more up front because if they retire they lose out on less.

You have a point… So why is hockey the only sport with a salary cap where you aren’t allowed to use incentivized bonuses? The NHL pays the player’s salary in the playoffs anyway.

You get a certain amount of money depending how far you go in the playoffs and that is not counted toward the cap. (It is this way is all four major sports, and from my NFL encyclopedia, and NBA encyclopedia I know it to be true, I just don’t have a Hockey one handy). So why can’t teams incentivize player performance, and just give them an extra bonus for winning the Art Ross, or the Hart Memorial Trophy, or if it’s a goalie the Vezina? Why does it seem to be frowned upon when all three of the other North American sports leagues do it? Hell I even think MLS does it.

Edited by onthehunt526
Grammar

(edited)

This is pretty hard to watch.

No I didn't think another upset was in the cards again Tampa Bay. They are just another class.

I'm disappointed because I thought they would give them a harder time than this. Maybe, just maybe, they can win Monday and avoid a sweep.

Hopefully, they learn a little from this. They aren't as far away as some.

Edited by mcanadiens

NBC's coverage of the NHL ends after the Stanley Cup finals.
NBC found out this was going to be their final season in April, after the NHL finalized seven-year deals with ESPN/ABC and Turner Sports.

History is on the Lightning’s side. Only one team, the 1942 Maple Leafs, has come back from a 3-0 deficit to win in the Cup final. And just four teams have won a playoff series after being down 3-0.

History is on the Lightning’s side. Only one team, the 1942 Maple Leafs, has come back from a 3-0 deficit to win in the Cup final. And just four teams have won a playoff series after being down 3-0.

History really doesn't have anything to do with it, but talent does. Montreal has been outplayed badly, even in their win last night they were outshot 34 to 21. They basically squeaked by with a victory, and Tampa almost want it in the last moments of the game. Montreal was fortunate to win last night. Tampa has better talent and is more disciplined.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Billy Z said:

History really doesn't have anything to do with it, but talent does. Montreal has been outplayed badly, even in their win last night they were outshot 34 to 21. They basically squeaked by with a victory, and Tampa almost want it in the last moments of the game. Montreal was fortunate to win last night. Tampa has better talent and is more disciplined.

Talent has to do with why Montreal was in a 3-0 hole to start with. History shows how very unlikely it is that they'll win The Cup at this point.

Montreal barely made the playoffs with a 24-21-11 record and that was out of the North Division that everyone said was historically weak. The upset of Toronto had Leaf fans beside themselves. Winnipeg was a little less surprising, but then beating Vegas was another shock. Sure Tampa Bay (AKA defending Stanley Cup Champion) has better talent. Who didn't know that? 

I'm thrilled they managed to win Monday and avoid the sweep. I'm hoping for another miracle tonight. Even if it doesn't happen, how can anyone take anything away from what the Canadiens have done this postseason?  

Edited by mcanadiens

37 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

how can anyone take anything away from what the Canadiens have done this postseason? 

Yes, they have had a great run during the playoffs. :beer:
Price played incredible with support from the rest of the team during their run.
Wasn't really sure about how they would handle TBL heading into the Cup Finals.

While the Big Lady is warming up her vocal cords, it ain't over until it's over ...   :whistle:

• Like 1

History is on the Lightning’s side. Only one team, the 1942 Maple Leafs, has come back from a 3-0 deficit to win in the Cup final. And just four teams have won a playoff series after being down 3-0.

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Sure Tampa Bay (AKA defending Stanley Cup Champion) has better talent. Who didn't know that? 

Maybe the one who made the first comment? 

12 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Talent has to do with why Montreal was in a 3-0 hole to start with. History shows how very unlikely it is that they'll win The Cup at this point.

Montreal barely made the playoffs with a 24-21-11 record and that was out of the North Division that everyone said was historically weak. The upset of Toronto had Leaf fans beside themselves. Winnipeg was a little less surprising, but then beating Vegas was another shock. Sure Tampa Bay (AKA defending Stanley Cup Champion) has better talent. Who didn't know that? 

I'm thrilled they managed to win Monday and avoid the sweep. I'm hoping for another miracle tonight. Even if it doesn't happen, how can anyone take anything away from what the Canadiens have done this postseason?  

This Montreal team reminds me a lot of the ‘86 team that had no business winning the Cup. And the ‘93 team a little too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

What a great game, congrats to the TB Lighting team and fans ...  :dance::dance::dance:

Gotta give em their due. About three emojis less enthusiastic, but there it is.