IGNORED

Moe Norman

iacas
Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I never found infos on that topic either, but you have to be careful, if you call somebody "short" that played like 40 years ago - just because he didnt bomb it out there 300y back then, doesnt mean its impossible to do nowadays with the new technology available (and despite that - short distances not necessarily have to come from a different swing - they can be body related - i guess Moe wasnt that much into Yoga and stretching

He was short at every stage of his career compared to the average golfer at his level with a more traditional swing.

I think,the normal amateur struggeling around 15-20 hcp doesnt need more distance, he needs more consistency and obv. a simplified approach to the game, since he doesnt have the time to practice that much to ingrain the traditional golf swing in a reasonable amount of time to make it consistent for him.

Yes, but the average golfer is also disillusioned and doesn't want to put a ceiling on their improvement, even though 99% of them will never hit that ceiling... and they'd view this swing as a sort of ceiling. Non-traditional. Plus a lot of them wouldn't want to take a step backwards to take two steps forward (eventually).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vijay also hits the ball pretty well, wouldn't you say?

Did he really hit that many balls? In one of the video he says " i hit 3 million ball in my life" he looks 60+ in the video and he started play around 10. 3m/50= 60,000. 60K/365= 164 balls a day every day in his life. Granted that allot of balls but not some amazing number that other could come close to. Vijay hit 500+ ball a day 4-5 days a week, I would guess that even at his age heover the 3M mark.

Ok... about distance... it's over rated. Moe hit a 7 iron 150, but a 7 iron back then is closer to a 8 1/2 or 9 iron today. So, you give Moe an 8 iron today, and he will hit it 150.. at least.... if he were still alive.

He might have been a little shorter than most other guys back then, but again, the courses were very short, so if you only hit a driver 250 instead of 270, it did not make much difference. Instead of hitting a 9 iron, you might hit a 7 iron... so what? They did not have many par 4's you had to kill a driver then hit a 4 iron too. Today, that is standard, but back then, it was not the rule, but the exception. So, all he had to do is make par on those hard holes and tear up the shorter, easier holes. Most of the guys hit 6, 7, 8, or 9 irons to holes. If you hit those close, you will win a tournament, because everyone hits it close from 100.

My distances vary depending on the situation. Sometimes I try to max out a club, but most of the time I take the longer club and control the trajectory to control the distance. So, sometimes from 100 yards, I hit the PW instead of the GW. And sometimes from 150 I hit the 7 iron instead of the 9 or the 8. But these are the general guidelines.

58 - 90 yards max.
54 - 95-105...110 max, max
pw - 130
9 - 145
8 - 160
7-170
6-185
5-200
4 hybrid - 210
3 hybrid 220
2 hybrid 230
3 wood - 220 + what ever I need up to 250 (not all carry)
Driver - depends on where I want to hit it and the course I play. sometimes it's 275, other times it over 300.

P.S. Moe hit more than 5 million balls. He almost hit 600 balls a day plus playing 54 holes in his prime.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Ok... about distance... it's over rated. Moe hit a 7 iron 150, but a 7 iron back then is closer to a 8 1/2 or 9 iron today. So, you give Moe an 8 iron today, and he will hit it 150.. at least.... if he were still alive.

That is a very important qualification

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
For any golfer, this is going to be the best golf book you will ever read.

Yeah, I doubt that... Hyperbole doesn't help to sell things to cynical people.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm probably a bad Canadian, but I've already read quite enough about Moe Norman. Yeah he was weird and hit the ball really straight. Next.

I'd rather read a George Knudson or Stanley Thompson bio.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Moe is a legend. I don't see other folks learning his swing style, but that doesn't make it any less impressive.

Even though I'll pass on the bio, I'd rather follow a group of guys trying to copy Moe's swing than a group of "grip it and rip it" guys. Short and "in play" is better than 300 yards in random directions.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don’t know much about him. Was he autistic?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Even though I'll pass on the bio,

Hell, me too, I don't plan on reading it:)

But Moe was a ball striking genius. In a world where everyone copies everyone else, Moe told everyone to F themselves and found his own swing. In Bagger Vance tradition, his true "authentic swing". Ha ha.. I have read accounts where the tops pros of his time commented that they had never seen anyone hit the ball as straight as Moe. A rare bird that Moe. -Dan

The book is finally out!!!! For any Moe Norman fan or any golfer, this is going to be the best golf book you will ever read.

Maybe I'm just a contrarian, but simply based on the grandious claims ("best golf book you will ever read".....c'mon, really???) and the amateur feeling of the website, I'm not impressed. I usually read almost any golf book, but I'll pass on this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Reviving an old thread!

It's advertising. That assumes hyperbole.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!