IGNORED

Moe Norman

iacas
Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MikeLowry5

The best way to put it for description purposes would be to look at it like this.  There are more people out there who's swing looks like David Ledbetter than Charlie Wi on the PGA tour.

I wonder if Charlie Wi can even put "That dumb guy on that dumb guy"?

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has ben posted before.

2 Candian Amateur Championships

54 Tournament Victories

33 Course Records

shot 59 3 times

shot 61 4 times

17 hole in ones

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I was a good video, I'm pretty sure it's been on here before though... or at least something very similar.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That was fun to watch

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Never heard of him before seeing the video. Truly one of the best ever to play the game!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Actually, I used to play Natural Golf and Moe was the figure head for the company.  I tour my right bicept and have not been able to swing like that since.   It is definetley a straighter, more powerful swing.  At least for me it was.

If you like Moe - you should also check out Count Yogi. The count is another "golf recluse" with resume to rival kim jung il.

Count Yogi "has" :

1. Shot 26-29 for a 55 at Bunker Hill Golf Course, a regulation course, winning the 1934 Chicago golf championship. Included two back-to-back holes-in-one (187 and 347 yards) while playing with Al Espinosa and Terry McGovern
  2. Also has shot scores of 55, 57, 58 and 59 in 18-hole rounds.
  3. Shot a 59 in winning the best ball title at Greenview Country Club, Chicago.
  4. Shot seven birdies in a row for a world tournament record (held for eighteen years) in the 1941 Chicago Open at Elmhurst Country Club.
  5. Averaged 67 per round for 203 rounds of 18-hole golf in 1940, playing either right handed or left handed.
  6. Played a 550-yard hole in two strokes in Corpus Christi, Texas, driving 453 yards and sinking the next shot with a wedge.
  7. Shot par or under for 267 of 273 successive shows
  8. Drives of 453, 450, 435 and 425 yards.
  9. Fifty-five holes-in-one; nine of them on par-4 holes, two in succession (187 and 347 yards); one 416-yard hole-in-one
  10. Fourteen putts for eighteen holes (score 29-29=58) on par-72 Wilson Golf Course, Griffith Park, Los Angeles, former scene of Los Angeles Open, 1951.
  11. 645-yard par-6 hole in 3; 59 on par-74 course, 1933.
  12. Eight birdies and two eagles in succession in a 58 at Paw Paw Lakes Links, Michigan, 1939.
  13. Played eighteen holes in fifty-seven minutes and 69 shots; fastest round (not cycling, but walking), mid-City Golf Course, Chicago, 1948.
  14. 31-32=63 course record at Bel Air Country Club, Los Angeles, 1948.
  15. 34-31=65 par-73 to win Metro Goldwyn Mayer's annual Open, 1949.
  16. 31-36=67 at Western Avenue Golf Course (Los Angeles) to win Universal International event, while in Hindu suit, 1949.
  17. Seven wins and two runner-up positions in Pro-Ams, 1949.
  18. 31-32=63 on par-72 Grossinger, New York; broke record of Sam Snead, Lew Worsham and Lloyd Mangrum, 1952
  19. Sixty-four with Jerry Zalkind at Glenbard Country Club, Chicago, March 31, (first day out on par-72 course, broke record of George Dawson, the great amateur vice-president of A. G. Spaulding), 1944.
  20. Seven rounds of eighteen-hole golf from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Not running-just proving infallible mental routine; 69, 66, 67, 66, 67, 68, 67, Bunker Hill Country Club, 1940.
  21. Seven birdies in succession at Golfmoor Country Club; broke Walter Hagen's record with 64, 1932
  22. Sixty-four, Timber Trails (wooded fairways) to win Visking event, 1938.
  23. Sixty-three, Elmhurst Country Club to win National Furniture Championship, 1939.
  24. Sixty-five, Westward Ho Country Club to win National Tool and Die, 1939.
  25. Sixty-nine or under almost every round of professional career.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

• 1 month later...

This is a great website that talks about moe and his life of golf.

http://moenorman.org/

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

2bGood - You don't actually believe that stuff, do you?  It was for a good laugh like Kim Jung Il's..what was it..7 holes in one in his first round of golf ever?  Which means that course had more than four par 3s or he three hole in ones on par 4s as well. LOL.

As far as Moe Norman goes, I simply don't understand what you lot are trying to discuss.  The Moe Norman swing can teach you a few things about golf mechanics the same way many unique swings can.  However, Moe Norman's swing cannot be used today because it generates no power.  In the same fashion where extremely high club head speed can result in a shot going offline just by the tiniest inaccuracy, most of Moe Normans accuracy comes from the exact opposite effect.  When your clubhead speed is that slow, I am pretty confused as to why people are amazed at the accuracy.  Tiger can his his 4 iron as far as Moe Norman could hit his driver (I just picked Tiger, just because - I could use Phil or Ernie or anyone else), and I guarantee you he could hit it in the fairway as often as Moe Norman could his his driver in the fairway.  Most of his accuracy came from just simple lack of clubhead speed.  Granted, there were mechanics involved that helped, however, there are no mechanics involved in Moe Normans swing that any educated PGA pro or golf analyst or even fan doesn't already know about.  Moe Norman's swing holds no secrets and it would not work for anybody on Tour.

Also, it seems some people are confused about Moe Norman history of competition.  Moe Norman mostly competed on the Canadian Tour, where he still holds tons of ridiculous records.  I believe I read that he had recorded 7 double eagles on the Canadian Tour, but I would have to have that verified considering his length would make one figure such a feat impossible unless he was playing from the ladies or senior tees.

Anyway, Moe Norman did in fact attempt to compete in the United States.  However, Moe Norman was very aware of how "different" he was (he appears to have been a high functioning autistic) and his little quirks and habits earned him many weird looks and whispers which made Moe feel uncomfortable.  This was mainly attributed to his poor play in the US, where he struggled to make cuts and withdrew from a couple of events by just walking off the course.  The last time he walked off the course, he basically went straight to the airport and back to Canada and never competed in the US again.

Moe has given quite a few clinics where he puts on a show with how accurate he can hit the ball, as well as hitting the ball off of coke cans, or hitting the ball off of three foot high tees, etc. and I am sure you can find  a lot of them on youtube if you look.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I wonder sometimes where people get these stories I Knew Moe and played with him a lot as a young man.  a good friend of Moe's said " Moe has heard these stories so often he"s beginning to believe them himself". a lot of golfers hit over a bridge but not by choice. Moe's first car was a Cadillac not a truck. many people have visions , those of us who knew Moe know the truth. Ive talked to people who tell me a Moe story and when asked " did you see it" the answer is no I heard it". read Moe & Me by Rubinstein it's the best one written that Ive read. i don't recall any inaccuracies. I also knew some of the Norman family members. not bragging but I occasionally shoot my age each year or better . Im 83 this year.  just tell the truth folks there are still some good stories.

• 1 month later...
I've tried moe's swing, learn by my self (and internet)......and i love it i will update later...

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!