IGNORED

A “Solution” to the Growing Number of Gap Wedges

Note: This thread is 948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

This is why I thought that when the Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 irons first came out, the lofts on the bottom were brilliant because you could literally call a club whatever the hell you wanted.

exactly! but then the other brands cant say their 7 irons goes the farthest.... because its a straight comparison.

39 minutes ago, nclra said:

some people need help at the top of the bag, others at the bottom. calling them the same club is the issue for me.  There is lots of confusion lack of clarity etc.  I guess caveat emptor..

The target market for the Titleist T400 clubs does not need to fill their bag with multiple wedges to fill gaps. People with slow swing speeds don’t have large gaps to begin with and the 49° W2 likely slots exactly where it needs to be ahead of their SW.

On the other side, the long irons are easier to launch and that makes them more playable for these players. That’s more fun and maybe even lowers their scores a bit because they have a 180 club again.

If these kind of clubs aren’t designed for your game, stop trying to make sense of them through that lens. A Lamborghini isn’t a bad car just because it’s not as safe as a Volvo and neither is a Volvo because it can’t do a 10 second quarter mile. They’re just different, with different design philosophies and target markets.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

The target market for the Titleist T400 clubs does not need to fill their bag with multiple wedges to fill gaps. People with slow swing speeds don’t have large gaps to begin with and the 49° W2 likely slots exactly where it needs to be ahead of their SW.

On the other side, the long irons are easier to launch and that makes them more playable for these players. That’s more fun and maybe even lowers their scores a bit because they have a 180 club again.

If these kind of clubs aren’t designed for your game, stop trying to make sense of them through that lens. A Lamborghini isn’t a bad car just because it’s not as safe as a Volvo and neither is a Volvo because it can’t do a 10 second quarter mile. They’re just different, with different design philosophies and target markets.

why should I stop? because you dont like how my thinking is different then yours? you agree so its ok? I dont agree so Im wrong?

5 minutes ago, nclra said:

why should I stop? because you dont like how my thinking is different then yours? you agree so its ok? I dont agree so Im wrong?

I’m just trying to explain that you might be looking at it from the wrong perspective. You seem to completely misunderstand what I’m saying.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

@nclra, my wedges have numbers 1, 2, and 3 on them. They’d be the same clubs if they had Wilma, Fred, and Barney stamped on them, wouldn’t they?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

@nclra, my wedges have numbers 1, 2, and 3 on them. They’d be the same clubs if they had Wilma, Fred, and Barney stamped on them, wouldn’t they?

Yes, @iacas your wedges would be the same. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Yes, @iacas your wedges would be the same. 

Right, so what’s it actually matter what’s stamped on them?

Get clubs that fit the spots you need them to fit in your bag. Done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What did we learn today? The Sand Wedge and Lob Wedge are sacred by most manufacturers due to utility and function, the term pitching wedge means nothing other than being the iron after the 9 iron, no one got (or acknowledged) the Rodney Dangerfield reference, and that @iacashas a penchant for the Flintstones. The only question left is the obvious. Does he call his driver Betty? It would make sense because everyone knows that Betty was the bomb! 

• Funny 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

9 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

What did we learn today? The Sand Wedge and Lob Wedge are sacred by most manufacturers due to utility and function, the term pitching wedge means nothing other than being the iron after the 9 iron, no one got (or acknowledged) the Rodney Dangerfield reference, and that @iacashas a penchant for the Flintstones. The only question left is the obvious. Does he call his driver Betty? It would make sense because everyone knows that Betty was the bomb! 

Are they really that sacred though? Very few stamp “S” or “L” on the bottom any more. They all stamp the loft and some add the bounce or grind. Also, I think the driver would be Bam Bam, no?😀

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Are they really that sacred though? Very few stamp “S” or “L” on the bottom any more. They all stamp the loft and some add the bounce or grind. Also, I think the driver would be Bam Bam, no?😀

They are more sacred than anything else in golf and most companies may not label them but they do categorize them in their marketing materials as such. I will give you Bam Bam and revise my Betty reference for the putter! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think it would be best if we simply go back to the old designations, brassie, niblick, rut iron, and all the rest.  FWIW, I remember seeing a 10 iron at least once (can't remember the manufacturer), and I know that Hogan at one time labeled the iron with more loft than the 9-iron with an E, for Equalizer.  Whatever, as long as I know which club to select for a xxx-yard shot, I'm happy, I don't care what's written on the bottom of it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

33 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

They are more sacred than anything else in golf and most companies may not label them but they do categorize them in their marketing materials as such. I will give you Bam Bam and revise my Betty reference for the putter! 

• Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 12/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, onthehunt526 said:

All I’m saying is SGI iron set “wedges” are not wedges they’re irons.

I agree with you on this in many ways. I would also say I actually prefer it that way. I like to use my pitching (45 degrees) and gap wedge (50 degrees for reference) to hit full shots. Therefore, I prefer it to look and act a lot more like an iron than a wedge. I also DON'T like a "wedge shaft" in either my pitching or my gap wedge. I find the wedge shaft makes it harder to flight the wedge down, which I try to to a lot with both the pitching and the gap wedge. I like to use the same shaft (and same head style actually) for the PW and GW as in the 8 and 9 irons. I find that helps me with my full shots. 

If I want to bump and run or chip with the PW or GW I have no problems doing so with the "iron" style shafts. But I do have problems hitting full shots and flighted shots with the "wedge" shafts. I will also bump and run or chip with the 6 - 9 ions as well as my hybrid sometimes as well. Those have more "iron" style shafts and it works fine. 

I carry 4 wedges but the only 2 that have "wedge" shafts in them are the sand wedge (54 degrees) and the lob wedge (58 or 60 degrees depending). Those two have "wedge" shafts in them and I never ever ever hit full shots with them. 

So, if they wanted to change my PW and GW to a 10 and 11 iron I'd have no problem with it at all. Because that's how I use them. However, if they leave them PW and GW (actually it's labeled AW) I'm perfectly fine with that too. 

I mean, come on, if this was the biggest problem I had to deal with in my life it would be pretty awesome. 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Right, so what’s it actually matter what’s stamped on them?

Get clubs that fit the spots you need them to fit in your bag. Done.

@iacas. That's the obvious answer.

I'm enjoying this little discussion. No, it's not any kind of critical issue which needs to be solved. But it's a nice distraction that's fun to chit chat about on this forum where I enjoy hanging out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Are they really that sacred though? Very few stamp “S” or “L” on the bottom any more. They all stamp the loft and some add the bounce or grind.

I think very few manufacturers stamp their “real wedges” with anything other than the loft. They do it with their set “wedges” though, like PW, AW, UW.

Not many even offer a sand or lob wedge with their iron sets. The only one I can think of is Ping. They do it with their GI clubs like the G410, but I don’t think many people are ordering the sand wedge from the iron set anyway. They usually just order 4-GW (U in Ping) or something.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Hogan at one time labeled the iron with more loft than the 9-iron with an E, for Equalizer

That was a Hogan thing, yea. My Apex II set has an E instead of a PW.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm enjoying this little discussion. No, it's not any kind of critical issue which needs to be solved. But it's a nice distraction that's fun to chit chat about on this forum where I enjoy hanging out. 

Me too. Its more philosophical for me, but I cut my teeth on 48-56-60 for the longest time. I am not losing any sleep and think its a little funny when someone tells me they bomb their pitching wedge 150 but only hit their driver 230.  Approach wedge, gap wedge, 11 iron, whatever, it still comes down to getting the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes. Play on gentlemen! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:36 AM, boogielicious said:

Ping puts S and L on theirs, (if they’re part if the iron set) and so does Cleveland on their SmartSole wedges, and Mizuno on their JPX 900 and 919 wedges. 

The problem causing all of this bullshit, is the long end of the iron set. You dont need a 18 or 19 degree 4-iron, I don’t care where you say you’re putting the weight. It’s a myth, it’s 4-6 mm lower than a blade, that’s all. So 21° should be sufficient for a 4-iron, and no more of this 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 5.5, 7 gapping shit. The long end is too compressed and the short end is far apart. Titleist to their credit does do this in the meat of the T400 set. I think it goes 20, 23, 26, 29, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53 something like that i’d have to look. I’m not saying that 4° between every club is correct, I’m saying the Compressed longer iron gaps are creating the wedge problem. 

The 4-iron is can not be hit consistently by one carrying SGI irons anyway. But loft compression at the long end is causing these dumb ass lofted pitching wedge lofts and the need for 2-3 clubs between your “P club” and your traditional sand wedge.

Loft compression in the long irons is what has caused this.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

16 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Ping puts S and L on theirs, (if they’re part if the iron set) and so does Cleveland on their SmartSole wedges, and Mizuno on their JPX 900 and 919 wedges. 

The problem causing all of this bullshit, is the long end of the iron set. You dont need a 18 or 19 degree 4-iron, I don’t care where you say you’re putting the weight. It’s a myth, it’s 4-6 mm lower than a blade, that’s all. So 21° should be sufficient for a 4-iron, and no more of this 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 5.5, 7 gapping shit. The long end is too compressed and the short end is far apart. Titleist to their credit does do this in the meat of the T400 set. I think it goes 20, 23, 26, 29, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53 something like that i’d have to look. I’m not saying that 4° between every club is correct, I’m saying the Compressed longer iron gaps are creating the wedge problem. 

The 4-iron is can not be hit consistently by one carrying SGI irons anyway. But loft compression at the long end is causing these dumb ass lofted pitching wedge lofts and the need for 2-3 clubs between your “P club” and your traditional sand wedge.

Loft compression in the long irons is what has caused this.

My 4 iron is 24 degrees. My 4H is 23. But my irons are cavity back.

Scott

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

My 4 iron is 24 degrees. My 4H is 23. But my irons are cavity back.

Scott I don’t know what kind of irons you have, but I’m guessing not T400s? Or Epic Stars?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!