IGNORED

Ryke Effect - Is This a Valid Mechanism for Closing the Clubface?

Here is a video by Kevin Ryan demonstrating something called the 'Ryke Effect'  (a mix of his christian and surname).

He freely admits that he was wrong to infer that the 'effect' increases clubhead speed but he still claims it's a mechanism for closing the clubface . 

I thought that Dr Sasho Mackenzie's 'passive torque' concept (image below) could be a method to close the clubface without excessive muscular forearm rotation but this 'Ryke Effect' has thrown another possible mechanism into the mix .  

What are other members thoughts regarding the 'Ryke Effect' and is it a viable mechanism that could be used to square the clubface in the late downswing?  I am assuming that to evoke the effect requires the upper lead arm to move on a steeper plane relative to the horizontal.

image.jpeg.31b20426ba753fbfce050d67e0e56755.jpeg

• Administrator

I think…

• The takeaway from this video is that perhaps amateurs have a smaller angle and better players have a larger angle (~20°) at impact between the shaft and lead forearm.
  • That the clubhead is pulling quite a bit at the bottom of the swing, which will extend the arms and unhinge the wrists and cause the face to roll that way as well.
  • The Sasho stuff still applies.
  • He could have much better explained why the pendulum rotates "under" instead of over the top. I mean, I know why it does that, but it's rolling the "other" direction - as if you'd be hitting the ball with the back of the clubhead. He could have explained that much better.
  • If you didn't make it past the first bullet point in my list, you're still fine. If you didn't even read that one… You're still fine. Let your instructor worry about this stuff.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • I will be brief, since others have weighed in and I echo the vast majority of what they've said (plus I love bullet points).  Naga-Waukee War Memorial - 6 A fun course, architecturally interesting Several nice views Walkable Passes the "I'd play here often" test Club at Lac La Belle - 6.5 Great Parkland golf.  I think the score suffered a little because all the other courses were so unique, but if this place were near my house it'd be one of the better courses available to play publicly. Walkable Firm, well-maintained greens with interesting contours Good combination of tough holes and less-challenging ones Not many real recovery options on a bad shot - most often, you're punching out from trees or laying up from a fairway bunker Passes the "I'd play here often" test  Favorite hole: #16 Lawsonia Links - 8 Unique and visually interesting Walkable Well-maintained greens with interesting contours, with play varying based on hole location (2) Par-3's were too long for me to really enjoy playing them Too many blind tee shots Some of the most fun approach shots I've had to play Passes the "I'd drive a couple hours to play here" test Favorite hole: #7 Mammoth Dunes - 8 Visually stunning Walkable Huge greens and fairways Turns out, I really enjoy "resort golf".  Separation value (which @iacas) referred to above is different for a 14-hcp...I liked that a wider range of shots were rewarded, but you still have to hit the ball solidly. Passes the "I'd drive a long way to stay/play here again" test Sand Valley - 8.5 Visually stunning Walkable Huge greens and fairways This is an aspirational course for me - breaking 90 the second day, even from an easier set of tees, felt like a real accomplishment...something I had to work damn hard for.  This is the kind of course I want to be good enough to play well.  At the end of the day, that's what ticked it 0.5 above Mammoth Dunes. Passes the "I'd drive a long way to stay/play here again" test
    • Our school district announced that they are going back to masks. It will be required for anyone under the age of 11, and then strongly recommended for anyone not vaccinated and recommended for anyone vaccinated. My wife (vaccinated) will likely wear one. My son will have to wear one. Honestly, I’m a little relieved. I think it’s the right choice, given the circumstances. There are probably better ways to do it, but they would involve mandating the vaccine for students and staff. I’m betting that’s coming before the start of 2022, but this is good enough in the interim. 
    • Working with my instructor on some simple grip and setup issues. I actually shortened my driver shaft and regripped with the same grip(gotta love pure grips) after testing some things out. I then added a bit of throw in the DS as mentioned in the last post to get some nice high ball flights with lots of carry and no more bottom half strikes. I am really liking the extension post impact, might need to work on the upper center getting a bit more forward but good progress for now. I don't need as much of a Bubba move as @saevel25 pointed out that I had at SV to counter an over rotating clubface. This will be counted as my yearly swing thread post with video. 😉  
    • This drill will help more for that. Try and keep the right elbow from bending more than 90 degrees too.
    • The numbers are ticking up for daily vaxxing, from what I read.  So that’s some good news.   My wife and I can’t wait for the under 12 to be approved.   It drives us crazy that non-vaxxed adults are doing whatever they want with their kids while we mostly keep ours home and limit contact with people until it’s safer. My wife said there was a long line at Walgreens yesterday for people getting the vaccine.   Fingers crossed.   
  • Today's Birthdays

1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...