IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

another round, no birdies. A lot of pars though (for me). 81 for one of my better rounds of the year.

Added birdies on 4 and 18, both 18 feeters. 😁

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I was just remembering that this challenge also has an "Away Course" section. 

I haven't been putting those in... oops. I'll have to see if I can find any of my cards so that I can add them.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Birdied 3, 6, 7, and 8 the other day on a composite (away) course. So, I added those.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Got off to a great start today with birdies on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Had a chance at 5, 6, 7, and 8. 45 footer on 9 was not the best chance, but I hit… every green and shot an "easy" 32 in pretty windy, firm conditions. In 2:15 because the course was slow. I was in a twosome, waiting on every shot.

Hadn't realized I hadn't birdied #3 yet. So good to knock that one out. Also, 1 and 2 were the last two holes I birdied last year.

Holes 9 (only front nine hole left) and then 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, and 18 are left.

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/3052435

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Got off to a great start today with birdies on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Had a chance at 5, 6, 7, and 8. 45 footer on 9 was not the best chance, but I hit… every green and shot an "easy" 32 in pretty windy, firm conditions. In 2:15 because the course was slow. I was in a twosome, waiting on every shot.

Hadn't realized I hadn't birdied #3 yet. So good to knock that one out. Also, 1 and 2 were the last two holes I birdied last year.

Holes 9 (only front nine hole left) and then 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, and 18 are left.

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/3052435

Wow, that sounds like a great start to the round. 

I had a great start today too (by my standards...) I narrowly missed a Birdie putt on 1, chipped in for birdie on 2 (I already had that one.) Had tree trouble on 3. Made birdie on 4 (That one was new.) I had another great opportunity for birdie on 9. 

Anyhow, 10 rounds into the season, I have 9 birdies. I'm averaging almost 2 birdies per round. (Some of them are repeats.) 

One thing that continues to baffle me is the best I've done on number 11 is a boogie. Odd, cause its the 6th handicap hole on the course. I just seemed to always find a way to screw it up... 

• Like 1

I had a nice Birdie on hole number 3 today, draining a 40-footer!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

8 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I had a nice Birdie on hole number 3 today, draining a 40-footer!

Long putts that drop for birdies are tight!

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Long putts that drop for birdies are tight!

It was a par 3 elevated green where my ball landed in the fringe and stayed there. I was just hoping to at least 2 putt, never expecting to make the putt of that length. It was really a good feeling because I could have easily 3 putted.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Had three birdies today on my home course and missed a fourth 7 foot putt. Only one was new, #8. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Added a Par on #10 yesterday.  Still have a long way to go....but the season is young.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:45 PM, iacas said:

Just like the 2020 topic, we're gonna do it again here in 2021!

Like last year, I'd like to birdie every hole at Whispering Woods in 2021 (and maybe every numbered hole on other courses). I'd like you to join me on this quest. This year's spreadsheet is below:

3v-n0ppv-uAnE3BEmrCgJ-zEkgO6LDgPI25QevBE

Home Course Welcome to the 2021 TST Birdie Challenge. Rules? There...

Please click through, add your name, home course, and location, and when you make a par or a birdie, add that score to the sheet, with the idea that you're going to birdie all 18 holes on your home course this year.

If you're above a certain handicap and would like to make it a par challenge, go for it! Just add that note to the Notes column.

We can all cheer each other on and see where this takes us!

Edit: if you truly play a TON of different courses, then follow these two guidelines:

• If you just play a lot of golf, but still get 20 or 25 (or more) rounds in on one course, consider making that your home course and just doing the birdie challenge there.
  • If you truly play only 20-40 rounds per year, and never more than a handful at the same course, consider trying to birdie holes numbered 1 to 18 across all of your courses. Or even doing it twice. Yeah, some hole #17s will be easier birdies than others, but that's why you might do it twice.

Is there any way you could take a look at the tracker and fix my formula that totals the birdies up? I’m good with xcel but not this spreadsheet. I believe I’m #37 on the home course side. I have all of my correct birdie counts in but they are not adding correctly. You will be able to see what cell the formula is broken in without much issue. It’s the one with a birdie count that isn’t shaded green. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Is there any way you could take a look at the tracker and fix my formula that totals the birdies up? I’m good with xcel but not this spreadsheet. I believe I’m #37 on the home course side. I have all of my correct birdie counts in but they are not adding correctly. You will be able to see what cell the formula is broken in without much issue. It’s the one with a birdie count that isn’t shaded green. 

I fixed it. You don't write -4 down if you birdie a hole four times. You can write -2 if you make an eagle. But the thing is not cumulative, it's just your best score for the year.

Three more rounds and 3 more birdies that I already have. I am still chasing the elusive #2 and 16. I had a chance on 16 with a 12 footer that just missed.  So close! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I fixed it. You don't write -4 down if you birdie a hole four times. You can write -2 if you make an eagle. But the thing is not cumulative, it's just your best score for the year.

Thanks for clarification! That explains why it let me do -2’s and 3/4 was an issue. Thank you sir!

2nd year as a member at this course and still have not birdied 2 which is a downhill par 3 that can be as much as 4 iron depending on the tees. I stuck a 5 to 12 feet last night and just missed. Still chasing 12 which is a par 4 that a solid drive leaves me a gap wedge in. Shocked I haven’t managed birdie there yet. And still chasing 13 which is an 8/9 iron par 3 most days. Again can’t believe I haven’t managed a birdie there yet!

Edited by Dunit507

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

Thanks for clarification! That explains why it let me do -2’s and 3/4 was an issue. Thank you sir!

You could type -14 if you wanted. I’m not sure what you mean about 3 or 4.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

You could type -14 if you wanted. I’m not sure what you mean about 3 or 4.

I was logging every birdie and the formulas worked fine for the holes I have 1 or 2. Never saw the formula quit working until I went to 3 and 4 birdies on hole 11. That’s all.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

I was logging every birdie and the formulas worked fine for the holes I have 1 or 2. Never saw the formula quit working until I went to 3 and 4 birdies on hole 11. That’s all.

I'm still not sure what you mean. Again, you can put -3 or -4 or -21 as I did here and it still "works" just fine:

image.png

But again, yeah, unless you make an albatross you shouldn't be putting -3 in. Just your lowest score this year on 18 separate holes. So, for many after a round or two, that's a par on most holes with a few birdies. Many don't even bother to list the bogeys, as they assume they'll par them eventually.

P.S. In case it's not clear I put "-21" in for my 18th hole temporarily and the formula just adds holes 1 to 18. A par written as "-" or "0" or "E" doesn't mess up the total column, which just adds up the numbers available, or the Birdie or Better column, which just counts negative numbers.

Note: This thread is 823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!