IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm still not sure what you mean. Again, you can put -3 or -4 or -21 as I did here and it still "works" just fine:

image.png

But again, yeah, unless you make an albatross you shouldn't be putting -3 in. Just your lowest score this year on 18 separate holes. So, for many after a round or two, that's a par on most holes with a few birdies. Many don't even bother to list the bogeys, as they assume they'll par them eventually.

P.S. In case it's not clear I put "-21" in for my 18th hole temporarily and the formula just adds holes 1 to 18. A par written as "-" or "0" or "E" doesn't mess up the total column, which just adds up the numbers available, or the Birdie or Better column, which just counts negative numbers.

Total misunderstanding. I was looking at it completely wrong. I was interpreting it as if you put a -4 in a hole that it was going to count 4 in the birdie or better total. That’s what made me think the formula was “broken” for that cell. I get it now. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

Total misunderstanding. I was looking at it completely wrong. I was interpreting it as if you put a -4 in a hole that it was going to count 4 in the birdie or better total. That’s what made me think the formula was “broken” for that cell. I get it now. 

Oh okay.

Yeah, that number is capped at 18, obviously. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 5/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, iacas said:

Oh okay.

Yeah, that number is capped at 18, obviously. 😄

I’m still keeping a tracker of my own in my note pad on my phone to track my total birdies for the season. The one on 9 the other day was my favorite this season. I hit a crushed drive and from center of fairway I hit a SW that landed on the lip and bounced up off the stick. Ended up a 6” tap in. This after I jarred a 25 footer to save par at 8. Had several great 12 foot and in looks that day and the only one I was able to make birdie was that 9th hole. We played 11 before darkness and was able to 2 putt on 11 for birdie after sticking a hybrid to 15 feet in 2. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

It feels like forever since I've made a "new" birdie, but I got one today.  I have 11 of 18, with most of the toughest holes remaining.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

A nice hybrid to 4’ on #14 today.  Number 4 hcp hole and a perennial challenge for me.

6 to go.  It’s getting tough...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No new birdies. No redo birdies. ...but two quads 😭 and seven lost balls. 

...can't wait until the next time!

• Funny 1

• Administrator

So I was playing with Sculley the other day. I had a 25-footer on number nine, and he asked if his ball was in the way, about halfway between my ball and the hole.

I'd read my putt and determined that the ideal line would have my ball missing his by about a millimeter, as the putt broke about 30 inches to the left. I said "You know what, leave it there. I think I have to barely miss your ball to get it into the middle, and if I miss it by half an inch it should go in the left side. But… I have to start my ball just right of yours and it should break enough by then to just miss your ball."

I hit the putt. It missed his ball by about half an inch. It went in the left side of the hole.

It wasn't until a few holes later that I realized I'd just closed out the front nine for the birdie challenge. I only have the non-par-fives on the back nine left. (I think I've only played the back nine three times this year so far.)

11 down. 7 to go.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got three birdies yesterday, 1 new. Hole 15, a short par 3, 140 yards, with small (35 x 40 feet) island green where all missed greens are in the hazard. It played into wind yesterday, so I clubbed up to my PW and hit it pretty soft. A sligth fade that landed pin high 15' right of the flag and spun a couple of feet closer. The putt was dead center for a nice little 2 on the card.    

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I had a great time playing in the rain last night. Let's just say it had been a bit of frustrating couple of days and last night was a great release. I remember now why I play golf. 

Anyway, I made zero birdies (although I played well). The driver swing changes are starting to take. ... sort of ... kind of ...

I also FINALLY made a par on number 11. So I no longer have any red or orange numbers on my TST Birdie Challenge Sheet. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Today was a good day: my first 4 birdies day ever! I had managed 3 birdies many times before (maybe 12 or 15 times), but never 4.  And that included two new ones on the spreadsheet: #13 and #15.

I also chipped in on #12 and had a chip left (to close range for a 3ft birdie putt) on the par 5 #17.  A pretty good back nine at 35 (par 36), after rinsing a ball on the long par 3 #11 for double and getting into a greenside bunker on #18 with a bogey finish. That was also just 11 putts on the back 9 in total.  After a relatively poor 40 on the front (par 34), it was still a good (for me) 75. I'll take it! :dance:

• Like 2

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator

Finally played the back again. Birdied #13. Got a good kick off a crushed hybrid, hit a really solid 9I to 10 feet, buried the downhill slider putt dead center.

Six to go. All on the back nine.

55 minutes ago, iacas said:

Finally played the back again. Birdied #13. Got a good kick off a crushed hybrid, hit a really solid 9I to 10 feet, buried the downhill slider putt dead center.

Did you use the shovel to bury the putt after you made it? 😄

I also birdied #13 by hitting a 9I to 10 feet and making a downhill putt. I did plant a goose feather on the tee before hit the tee shot.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Birdied 4, a short par 4. Already done that before.  A bit better than last time out though! 🙂

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe you are tiring out by the time you get to the back nine, and may need some cardio workout? 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

3 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Maybe you are tiring out by the time you get to the back nine, and may need some cardio workout? 

Erik hasn't really gotten to play the back nine at Whispering Woods very much my his own admission.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Billy Z said:

What is your deal, man? I’ve played the back nine like four times this year. Stuff like this says that:

On 6/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, iacas said:

Finally played the back again.

• Informative 1

Three birdie day! 🙂 Only the second time I've ever managed that.  Chipped in on 8 - that's a new birdie for me.

...also had a snowman, but I'm focusing on the positive 👍.

I just got back from a golf trip at Orange National in Orlando playing Crooked Cat and Panther Lake. We stayed on property and avoided the rain and got in 5.5 rounds. While I didn't get the low round of 72, I was the birdie leader with 9 and did something I have never done by knocking down a birdie on the opening hole par 5 all  three times on CC.  Granted we played the green tees (CC 70.4/130 at 6226, PL 71.2/132 at 6380) because the course was wet, but it felt good to not to be playing any par 3s at 200 yards (most were 150-180).  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!