IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Finally got 18. But it feels a bit like a cheat.  I was invited to play with a three-some and was playing one set of tees forward.  On 18, that takes a 400yd hole and makes it about 360, so... much more doable. Still... 1-2-3 and done, so... 🙂

At Riverbend, nailed another Birdie today with hole 17.  Sadly I still have 15 holes to go.  Good news is that I am starting to get "looks" at birdie, just need to capitlize.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been tracking. Only 34 birdies all year long. Only 2 of those have been on the 6th hole. None have been earlier. One shortish (485?), tight par 5 on a course I play once a month has been a 4 time birdie, which means I only missed a bird one time. Tough challenge. 

Picked up a new birdie on the 5th hole today. Teed off with hybrid and landed in the left rough. Had a partial gap wedge to the green, but I couldn't see the flag because my view was obstructed by trees growing along the creek that crosses the hole in front of the green. Hit the ball well, but had no idea where it came down, but once I got a visual on it, I saw that it landed about 2 yards past the hole and spun back to about 6 inches. Tapped in the birdie putt.

Had two other really good looks for new birdies, but didn't convert.

That's halfway to 18, but unfortunately, almost all of the easy holes are checked off now.

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Birdied 15 on my away composited. Hit my drive too far right and was 168 out with tree trouble. So I tried to fade a 5 iron in and voila, hit it to 6 feet. Made the putt.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Got #7 this evening. Hit a 9 iron and ball Mark was a foot from the hole. Sucked back a few feet and and maybe a 4 footer for the 2 which I dropped. The green at 7 is quite severely slopes so despite a short length, it doesn’t surrender a lot of birdies. Felt good to make a 2 there today!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I completed the birdie challenge today, with a birdie on #14, a long (390+) uphill par 4 dogleg to the left with the fairway slopping to the right all the way, and a very steep green. I overshot the green a little bit (on the back collar) and was faced with a 30 footer downhill with a big break (several feet, maybe 4.5 to 5) to the left: an all or nothing proposition as the pin was not in a flatfish spot.  It went in perfectly, but could have gone another 4 to 6 feet past the hole easily.

Anyway, that was the last birdie missing for the challenge (I have only birdied that hole maybe 3 times ever), and since I also had an eagle earlier in the season, my ringer score is -19, or 51 (par 70). Pretty cool! :banana:

Edited by sjduffers
  • Thumbs Up 3

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Played today after a break of almost 3 weeks.  On my home course and the weather yesterday was hot and looked like the course was drying out.  Got rain late last night to early this morning.  And worse, it kinda rained while I was playing.  Met my dad at the course and we played the front 9, which is more hilly and therefore slightly less soggy in the monsoon.  Third hole had an amazing birdie.  Stroke index 1 hole but the green has been brought forward about 75 yards or so due to a new green complex being built.  It is essentially a cleared out area of the fairway and putting is difficult.  Hit a great second shot and the ball dropped to about a foot or two from the pin.  Even though the ground was miserable was able to putt it for my first birdie of the day.  After 9 my dad decided to go back thanks to the rain and I ran into a friend who had played the back 9 and was now playing the front 9, so I joined him and played the front 9 again.  This time on the 5th hole hit a decent tee shot and second.  Was about 10 feet or so right of the pin and drained the putt.  Two birdies in a day.  HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY 💃

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Finally got par on #1 yesterday.  Was close to getting pars on #6 & #9 but was not to be.  Only 4 weeks on league left so I really need to get some pars to complete the challenge this year.  Compared 2020 to 2021 and I am behind this year.  In 2020 I completed 12 of 18 with Pars.  As of now I am at 9 of 18 for 2021.  With 2 rounds left on each front & back I will need to post some good rounds in the next few weeks.

Edited by StuM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Picked up 17 on my away composite.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yesterday was my 30th round of the year I think.  Today was 31.  Yesterday I finished the par version of the challenge for away composite, finally making a par on a hole #9 (still haven't at home yet this year).  Today I birdied hole 5.  Both yesterday and today were away courses (vacation).

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Need only 10, 11, 14, and 18.

Today was my seventh or maybe eighth time playing the back nine.

• Good drive on 10, slightly fat 7I to the front of the green. 40 footer wouldn't go.
  • Good shot on 11 (par three). Pin was in a wicked spot, 15 footer wouldn't go. Maybe 18 feet.
  • Good shot on 14 (par three) just below the hole. Fell in love with the line, walked after it as soon as I hit it, because I knew it was… two inches short dead in the heart.
  • Hit a tee shot a touch right on 18 into a bunker from which I got a horrible lie. Laid up. Tried to hole the 65 yard shot that I thought was 76 because a student was texting me and I forgot the yardage. 😄 Made par by holing a long putt.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Birdied the sixth hole this evening. 7 down, 11 to go.  Haven't been playing recently.

1059047580_hole6.thumb.jpg.b8b4e9ed0cdfc9c5a3181d254521b2ed.jpg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Drumroll please.....

With only needing #16 to complete this challenge at the home course, I powered a fade up the center with the 3 wood, and hit a 3/4 punch 8 iron under the wind to 2 feet.  I lined up my putt, had visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head, and miss it on the low side. Total deflation. Till next time 16! 

And I was playing well with 5 birdies total over 27 holes. I was on fire, but I still missed a 2 footer up the hill with a right to left break. 

• Funny 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

7 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Drumroll please.....

With only needing #16 to complete this challenge at the home course, I powered a fade up the center with the 3 wood, and hit a 3/4 punch 8 iron under the wind to 2 feet.  I lined up my putt, had visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head, and miss it on the low side. Total deflation. Till next time 16! 

And I was playing well with 5 birdies total over 27 holes. I was on fire, but I still missed a 2 footer up the hill with a right to left break. 

Awesome post - way to build drama - bummer on the miss

• Thumbs Up 1

John

7 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Drumroll please.....

Oh my goodness. I am totally deflated. I wasn't even there and I feel let down. I was ready to congratulate you. Better luck next time. Go get em. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Oh my goodness. I am totally deflated. I wasn't even there and I feel let down. I was ready to congratulate you. Better luck next time. Go get em. 

I couldn't even talk for 15 minutes I was so pissed! I even made a 30 footer and chipped in, but the Challenge must go on and you must hole out for it to count! I really didn't want to report it, all the heartbreak and all. Back to it! 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!