IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9th hole.  Not an easy one for me, since it's a hard green for me to hit.  Last year I had an awesome chip in.  This time I actually hit the green and drained the putt (about 20 feet).

Five done, 13 to go this year.

1154654969_hole9.thumb.jpg.42e578d303d82f118472e8546671a5d0.jpg

• Like 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Birdied hole 2 yesterday. A short par 3, 135 yards, 15 yards downhill to a pretty flat green. I hit a smooth AW to around 8 feet and made the put. A 2 on the scorecard is allways welcome! 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Finally birdied the 7th hole yesterday, during our summer long fourball tournament, so that completes, birdie or better on the Front 9.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 5/9/2021 at 6:08 PM, Billy Z said:

How fast are those greens?

Usually they keep them at a reasonable pace, somewhere around a 10-11 in pace depending on how recently it's been mowed or how dry/windy it is that day. That day they were slow, however, because they had aerated too early when the grass was still dormant and were trying to promote a faster recovery once it started growing again. They also had ruined their mower reels with oversanded greens because of that, along with 3/4 of the maintenance staff dying/retiring at the start of March, so now they're finally starting to get everything back going again maintenance-wise.

They actually have members of the men's club out there on the mowers now, just to keep the course in good enough shape, with a new reel for the greens. They're not cutting them as short as before, at least until they have a dedicated super and crew, but they're back to rolling 8-9 or so. The new reel and the finally recovered greens does mean they're rolling very smooth at least, which is the most important part, and they're good and firm again like usual.

Just yesterday, 5-12, I got another two new birdies! A long 32 footer dropped on 17, and I was only a few inches away from a hole in one to finish on 18. Played poorly overall that day (+4, 72), but finishing up with a pair of birdies back to back makes you forget about all the bad that happened earlier in the round!

Edited by Pretzel

I have been finding ways to mess up really good birdie chances lately.

Best chance I had last night was an eight footer on number 4. Let the putt just on the edge of the cup.

"That's a South American Country Putt.... It just needs one more revolution." 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I had two beautiful birdies today, making approx 15 ft putts on each. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

8 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I had two beautiful birdies today, making approx 15 ft putts on each. 

Way to go. Draining a long putt for birdie is tight. Doing it twice in one round..... awesome!

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Way to go. Draining a long putt for birdie is tight. Doing it twice in one round..... awesome!

Thank you I appreciate that. What made the birdies so nice that all my shots in both of them were great shots. One thing a person of my handicap has a hard time doing is being consistent. When I I'm consistent, even only through one hole or two, it feels great. I shot an 80 on the course which was also very good for my level, and this was after shooting 102 just days before , LOL.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Hole number 12 birdied. A short, 335 yard, par 4 with a blind 20 yard uphill tee-shot. Hit the driver around 245 yards to the left side of the fairway and hit a soft 56 degree from there. Landed it around 15 feet past the flag and sunk the putt. Still plenty of holes left on the birdie-list 😉

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I had the most bizarre day of golf last Thursday afternoon, not at my home course but noteworthy in a birdie thread nonetheless. I hit 13 greens in regulation that day, including one GUR where I reached a par 5 in two. On the front 9 I hit all 9 GIR, and only 4/9 on the back.

My AVERAGE proximity to the hole that day, for GIR/GUR, was only 14.54 feet from the hole. I had 3 different birdie putts inside 10 feet.

I missed all three of those birdie putts, along with another 8 birdie putts (the longest being from only 29 feet away). It was very strange because it was probably one of the best ballstriking days I've ever had, in that I had 12 different <20 foot birdie putts, and yet I made only 2 of them with none of the ones inside 10 feet being holed (including 2 different four footers).

It would be interesting to go back through my scorecards/MyRoundPro records and see how many of my tracked home course birdies were lucky putts vs how many were from good approach shots. Off the top of my head I know hole 17 was a lucky 35 foot putt, but most of the others that I can specifically remember have just been a good approach shot (inside 15 feet) followed by a reasonable putt.

Changed course membership this weekend, starting over on the 2021 Birdie Challenge...

New course is The Club at P.B. Dye

A lot tougher than my last two courses, but looking forward to playing there.

Gus
---------------

Birdied 7 on my away course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was able to add 2 more last night.

I made a 10 foot right to left breaker on number 12. It was a thing of beauty. It probably broke 2 feet left over its 10 feet of travel.

Then I gleefully chipped in from only a couple yards off the green on 16. 

So, I've got 8 holes down so far. The odd thing is I've not been able to card better than bogie on number 11. ... Which is weird, because number 11 is by no means the toughest hole on the course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Today’s 2 putt birdie at 11 felt great. Solid drive followed by a 5 iron pin high to about 25 feet. Tap in birdies are my favorite! I was only 1/11 in birdie conversions today tho.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I had 2 new birdies tonight on the 7th and 17th holes. 

I started on the 10th and was +4 through six holes. Once I hit my drive on the par-5 16th. Something clicked and my game turned. After hitting none of my first 6 greens in regulation. I hit ten of my final twelve. And was bombing it off the tee. Easily the best stretch of ball striking I’ve had in a very long time. I made 5 birdies, 4 bogeys, and 9 pars for a one-under-par 70. I shot 38 the first nine, and came home in 32 for my best 9 hole score ever. This is my second round 70 in the last three weeks...

What is going on? 

Oh and my smother hook is gone.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Almost forgot I need to keep this updated.  Have played 36 holes on my home course so far with only 3 pars 😞 (Holes 4, 8 & 12).  I am doing the Par Challenge.  

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

I need to add away birdies on…

3, 6, 7, 8

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!