IGNORED

Work Out Routine (Exercise for Golf)

Brooklyn
Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i was curious if anybody had a good work out routine to increase swing speed. Well im not really concerned with swing speed but i would like to get maybe 25-30 more yards out of my drives... Im about 5'8 and 120 lbs soaking wet. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week but i just do a core work out. But this is the year that im really starting to try to get my handicap lowered i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a good muscle building routine that would help get a little extra yards.

I wanted to get my clubhead speed up, so I also researched this. I found some posts on another site where people were claiming some pretty incredible clubhead speed increases with some heavy devices. One guy claimed he gained something like 30 mph (which I honestly doubt).

I found a guy who is a long drive competitior who was working on a number of swing fixes and speed increases. He actually did increase from about 125 mph to I think the 140 mph range. I could actually see proof in his results. I asked him a number of questions, and he recommended a program using a device called Swingspeed. I asked him and the manufacturer a lot of questions over a couple of months then in January I bought their LD model. It's a sort of a shortish club like device with removable weights that allow you to put anywhere from 2 to 6 lbs on it. Anyway, it came with a DVD that had a number of drills on it to increase flexibility, strength and fast twitch muscles. When I first got it, I noticed a couple things: 1. The left arm only swings are better ingraining the feel of the left arm pinned to the chest until release. This is a major power accumulator. 2. My hips twist (always have pretty much), not slide. What I first was just a sort of explosion. It sequences like this, slightly before reaching the top, weight shifts left, axis tilt increases, wrist angles (and lag increases), then the hips fire- must faster (it feels like explode) left. I also practice several sets with a gripped 57 gram shaft only, then several sets with a real driver. The woosh sound is much later and much much louder. Then I bought a Swing Speed Radar + Tempo Timer on the advice of a reknowned clubfitter named Frank Viola to measure my progress. Frank told me the SSR is very accurate. What's the point of all the effort if I couldn't monitor any progress? After 3 weeks of doing the drills on the DVD that came with the SwingSpeed, I went to the range to monitor my results. I knew something was up when I was seeing mid-90s with my 6 iron during warmup. I don't what my 6 iron speed was before, but my driver was mid-90s (sometimes low 90s) three weeks earlier. Then the driver- first swing- good contact 104! I then made a few swings that were NOT pretty- 98 and 100. Now, I'm pretty enthused- what happens if I swing OUT OF MY SHOES??? Take a couple big cuts- 104-107, but bad contact. Excitement is over, just normal swings. They stay from 101-105. Average was about 103 over 25-30 swings. That was about 8-9 mph in 3 weeks. Two more weeks later, I went to the range with my Swing Speed Radar + Tempo Timer. First driver swing, pretty smooth 106! I hit about 10 balls trying to take it pretty easy, all were between 104-107! I tried some harder swings, then full out. I could get to 112 for a few swings, but had no control over the ball. Hit the rest at a comfortable 80%ish power level, very straight and consistently 105-107 swing after swing. Interestingly, I also checked tempo, and my typical tempo before starting this regimen was 1.01 seconds from takeaway to impact. Today it was .87-.92. I did not feel quick, in fact rather lazy. This tempo does seem too fast though, based on what I've read. I was really jazzed about this. Increasing from low to mid 90s, to a comfortable 106-107 is about a 20-30 yard increase! I've continued to work with this device and added some additional things for speed work, something called an overspeed device- essentially a graphite drive shaft with surgical tubing on the end. I haven't continued to increase my speed as quickly, I'm now averaging 107-109 on comfortable (about 80-85%) swings and can reach over 115-118 if I swing all out. The best thing about this is Mike, the LDA competitor got me a big discount on the device (the manufacturer is a buddy of his I think) and told me if I know anyone who wants one, he thinks he can get them the same deal. Then on the Swing Speed Radar + Tempo Timer, Frank directed me to a guy who got me a good deal on that too! These boards can be a great place to get really good deals, and trade information with people Mike. Frank is a guy who can get clubs that are hard to get, but pretty expensive :(. If you want information on the drills I'm doing, my workouts or anything like that, just ask. I'll be happy to share. My handicap index ranged from 4-6 last year with my lowish driver club head speed. If I can keep my short fame up, and maybe chop off about 1 putt per round, I'm thinking I can get to scratch or better. I'm really excited!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I do lift weights because of high school football.

Depending on your position in football, and if the weight-room exercises are targeted to this, you might be helping your golf along the way. Hale Irwin was a defensive back and went on to win three U.S. Opens.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only speaking for myself, I swing a weighted club and have done so for quite awhile. That, coupled with exercises to increase flexibility, has made a noticeable difference.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Speaking of swinging a weighted club....

I get a lot of looks at the gym when I slowly swing a 17.5 - 20 lb dumbell lol. Its so funny how the "Tiger Phenomenon" has changed golf. Multiple times I have been approached by guys in the gym after I do my swings and they have told me how they are in the gym for golf and fitness. To me its such a big part of the game.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I have been working with the GolfGym for the past month now and "feel" like it has done something. I live in Michigan, so I haven't been able to get out much to see if I increased in my driving difference. It comes with 3 different resistances and a DVD that goes over all the excercises to do. Has anyone else used this? What do you think? Here is the link.

http://www.golfgym.com/

yoga and chi gong

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I am very excited since I have recently joined this forum. This subject is one of my main concern as of late so I would be happy to elaborate with some helpful information.

First off there are a few great websites where pros discuss there workouts, I feel Camillo Villegas has the best information. If you go to the MensHealth.com website and search Villegas you will find his workout.

My advice for anyone interested would be to do as much cardio as possible. There is no way you can do too much. Personally, I have been jogging 5 days a week for a month. About 2 to 3 miles each day.

As for weight training, working the core is the key idea if you havent been weight training lately. I am lifting weights 3 days a week. I do chest and arms on Monday, Legs and Hips on Wednesday, and Back and Shoulders on Friday. Running afterward. If you are just starting STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH. Sauna or a hot tub will help to loosen those muscles if you have the resources availiable.

Another key I believe will help in the long run is a well ballanced diet. I know that many of you, like myself, suffer from a poor diet. Try eating 3 core meals a day. I know it is hard, but if you cant do it, try fitting a Health Bar in at some point. I also have been eating lots of trail mix in between meals and loading on protein for meals. Also, I have been drinking loads of fruit smooties that I make at home, which keeps the price down, and throw some protein powder in after workouts on MWF (within 30 min always).

This all has just started for me within a month. I hope in the long run it pays off. I have never been a long hitter, but I feel I have conjured up a distance leek. So while trying to work on my swing mechanics I figure I will add in this program and see where it takes me.

Any suggestions or comments would be great guys. Hope any of this was helpful to some of you. Any if anyone knows how the hell I can keep my wrists from breaking too early on my downswing I would love that advice as well.

Life is Good. Golf is Great.

• 1 month later...
Work out

4 days a week, approx. 30 min

It is extremely important that you warm up your body before exercising. The warm-up consists of stretching and light cardio work. Without a proper warm-up, you will be more susceptible to injury. These stretches should be performed daily, before you go to bed each night and upon waking up each day. If you have trouble finding time to do so, do them in the shower. Flexibility is absolutely essential to success on the course.

Warm-up stretches:
Lower back: 10 secs each stretch
•Feet together – Standing, both feet together, reach down towards your toes, no flex in knees
•Right over left – Standing, Right foot over left, reach down towards your toes, no flex in knees
•Left over right – Standing, Left foot over right, reach down towards your toes, no flex in knees
•Sitting right over left – Sitting, bend right leg over left, turn in opposite direction
•Sitting left over right – Sitting, bend left leg over right, turn in opposite direction
•Sitting feet spread – Sitting, Spread feet as far as possible, reach towards middle
•Sitting feet spread – Sitting, spread feet as far as possible, reach towards left foot
•Sitting feet spread – Sitting, spread feet as far as possible, reach towards right foot
•Rotation – Standing, with good posture, rotate as far possible towards left, repeat towards right. (focus on feeling the muscles stretching, go slowly and smoothly, not fast and choppy)
Arms/Shoulders:
•left crossing chest – Cross left arm over chest, use right arm at 90 degree angle to pull it in closer
•right crossing chest – Cross right arm over chest, use left arm at 90 degree angle to pull it in closer
•arm circles – Both arms, start with small compact circles, gradually progress towards larger full circles (10 each arm)
•touching behind back – Reach behind back, one arm above shoulder, on below should and try to touch hands
Legs:
•Laying, Knee-to-chest, other fully extended – While laying, bring right knee to chest while left leg is extended; repeat for other side
•Lunges – No weights, lunge as far as possible, (10 each leg)
Cardio:
•Exercise bike, med-strong resisitance, 10 min minimum

Workout:
Chest/shoulders/back: A strong back and shoulders provide the posture needed in the address position and the all-important ability to repeat your swing. Nearly every muscle in the back is employed during a swing. There are four things to remember when working on your back: stretch first, squeeze your stomach muscles while you execute the exercise (the ab muscles complement the back), exhale as you perform the rep (not after) and avoid being hunched over.
Seated Rows: 14-20 reps x 3, light-medium weight
•On a machine, low-med weight, upright position(as close to 90 degrees as possible), row straight to chest
Triceps Dips: 14-20 reps x 3
•arms on a bench, feet on a bench, dip as low as possible, slow and steady
Shoulder Dumbbells: 14-20 reps x 3, lightweight
•Front: While standing, extend arm straight forward
•Side: Leaning forward (Brace yourself against something), extend to side
•Overhead: Standing with good posture, extend straight above head
Tricep press: 14-20 reps x 3, medium weight
•Standing, grip dumbbell with both hands, extend over head, bring down slowly behind head down towards neck, then straight back up again
Bicep Curls: 14-20 reps x 3, medium weight
•Standing or sitting, isolate biceps, slow and steady (4 seconds a rep- 2 seconds up; 2 seconds down)
Bench Press: 14-20 reps x 3
•Duh…
Abs: 25 reps x 3
•Crunches (not full-blown sit ups)
Legs: Balance and strength in the thigh, calf and glutes will lead to a powerful, fluid swing. Cardiovascular exercises like jogging will help, but some weight training coupled with stretching is a must for this part of the body.
Leg press: 14-20 reps x 3, medium-heavy weight
•machine
Lunges with weights: 14-20 reps x 3, lightweight
Exercise Bike: 20 mins, med-heavy resistance
•Wearing ankle weights will also help build leg strength and stamina.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Dang. I'd be spent after your warm-up stretching, lol.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

What happened to squats and deadlifts? Do people not do those anymore? Squats work out your entire leg, and deadlifts work your lower back, biceps, forearms, and traps.

Also that many reps per set does nothing but rush your muscles with lactic acid. 8 to 10 reps with slightly heavier weight is more than enough, anything past that is worthless. So if you curl 30lbs for 14 reps, do 35 or 40lbs for 8 reps.

And all that stretching twice a day isn't good for your muscles. Once a day is fine. Overstretching actually makes you weaker, and makes your muscle tire easier.

Bag o' goodness:

r7 460 - Driver
- Woods
Burner - Irons - Putter

JKil...in the time it took to type all that I could have done 30-45 minutes of cardio! Whatever works though. Good luck with that. I am of the philosophy of doing a wide variety of activities to do overall conditioning. I do cardio 5-6 days a week for an hour coupled with walking the golf course once or twice, bicycling, tennis, and some strength training (something different every session) and stretching. I've lost 45 lbs. and my strength and flexibility are as good as they've been in a long time. If I take it too seriously it becomes a burden. But like I said, whatever works. Stick with it!

I'm a Kinesiology major at Texas A&M; University and we had to organize an IEP for one of my course. Basically, an IEP is a personalized exercise/education program for a person. I had organized that workout for one of my buddies who is trying to shed about 20lbs and gain some flexibility back. It's a solid workout and I've seen great results coming from both him and me.

I chose to stray away from squats and deadlifts because they require precise form to eliminate the posibility of injury. If you are expereinced enough, then I strongly suggesting adding squats into your routine, ohterwise, I would avoid them.

High repetition, low weight builds stamina and tone. Low repetition, high weight build bulk. I like having lean muscles that generate a lot of club head speed and don't interfere with anythign because of their size. It's subjective, but do as you wish.

You can't over stretch, and it's important in every aspect of daily life. It's almost as important as the workout itself. Any professional athlete stretches AT LEAST that much.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:

High repetition, low weight builds stamina and tone. Low repetition, high weight build bulk. I like having lean muscles that generate a lot of club head speed and don't interfere with anythign because of their size. It's subjective, but do as you wish.

Amen! I've been trying to tell people this for some time. I see so many at our club who are getting "muscle bound" and it's not helping their game. I wish more would adhere to this "less is more" philosophy. And stretching is HUGE. I think I stretch adequately but I probably don't do enough. Something I will probably address.

JKil,

do you do these on consecutive days with 3 days off or do you go every other day??

Is an eliptical trainer an acceptable substitute for the exercise bike?

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I try to work-out every-other day, i.e Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun. One day, one day off to let your body rest. I typically play on my days off and practice on the days I work out. I stretch every morning and every evening when I shower. I know it sounds wierd, but it feels alot better to stretch this way, plus it kills two bird with one stone.

An ellip. machine is an "okay" substitute. A treadmill is a better solution. Anything that gets your heart rate up and gets your blood flowing is good. If ya'll have any other questions, feel free to ask. I love giving advice about good workout regiments, afterall, it is my profession

What I play:

Where I play:

Amen! I've been trying to tell people this for some time. I see so many at our club who are getting "muscle bound" and it's not helping their game. I wish more would adhere to this "less is more" philosophy. And stretching is HUGE. I think I stretch adequately but I probably don't do enough. Something I will probably address.

i gained about 15 lbs of muscle mass during the off season..I was doing sets of

12-10-10-8. my drive distance and even iron distance is DOWN HEAVILY. I can't rotate and feel like my chest is in the way.... so after going from 165 - 180.. and i'm still at 12% on my bmi.... I'm back to doing 15-15-12-12 on my reps with lighter weight so i can shred out and swing the club like i did last year... BUT the only thing I still stay heavy and hard with are my legs. squats & rotating lunge supersets front hack squat into hamstring leg curl supersets leg extension into good morning supersets and end with jump squat into calf raise supersets. over the winter I was squatting up to 380 on the bar...i did lower it but i'm still doing 275 12 times.....HARD ASS SUPERSET those squats into rotating lunges
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

You should be really careful on the rotating lunges and any other exercises like that.

Rotation while lifting is the #1 cause of injury in all exercises. Maintain your form and stay focused on what you do
What I play:

Where I play:

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!