IGNORED

Work Out Routine (Exercise for Golf)

Brooklyn
Note: This thread is 5058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not the professional or the exercise physiology student but I know what works. For me, a well round exercise regiment is key. To shed the pounds I emphasize the cardio. Mix in three days a week of some strength training in the gym and you will see results albeit gradually. I think that's best. What is hard for most is working and expecting immediate or quick feedback results. Don't scale watch, that was key for me. I didn't want to become frustrated if I plateaued. Stay faithful to your regimen and be patient. If you do the right stuff you will see results.

I've lost 45 pounds in the last year and my weekly exercise includes 3-5 days of treadmill cardio, two days of cycling (I sometimes cycle and run on the same day just not as much of each), a couple of days of light strength training, 1-2 days of walking nine holes of golf and an occasional trip to the tennis court. Throw in an occasional walk around the neighborhood and I'm a well rounded exerciser. Just get out and stay active.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Kinesiology major...blah blah blah...

First, you've got a couple of things right, like importance of stretching and recommendations to lift.

But, and I'm going to be harsh, there is so much WRONG on MULTIPLE accounts: 1) Do NOT stretch before cardio. Static stretching of cold muscles impacts performance and creates opportunities for injury. Warm up first, lift, then stretch. 2) There is no such thing as "toning" or "lean muscle". Tone is defined as the ability to see muscle underneath your skin and has nothing to do with lifting, and everything to do with a lack of fat on your body. Toning implies that you can impact specific points on your body, like doing sit-ups so you can have a six-pack stomach. And, it won't happen. Fat comes off in the reverse order it was added. 3) Muscle is always lean, because it is muscle. "Lean muscle" is a fabrication of some beauty magazine writer. 4) Low reps do not build bulk. In fact, most weight-classed weight lifters use 1-3 reps to build maximum strength without significant muscle mass. 5) Muscle mass tends to depart from people as they age. Almost everyone over the age of 30, male and female, should be trying to add muscle mass to counteract the natural effects of aging. 6) If you're doing more than 12 reps, you need to move up. Otherwise, your either not working your muscle at a high enough level, or you're in a aerobic exercise may be burning muscle mass for energy rather than building muscle mass. I'm not sure what "program" you're in, but you better start checking those books. Are they 20 years old or what? All of the above info is easily verifiable on the web. JonnyGolf

• 4 weeks later...
1) Do NOT stretch before cardio. Static stretching of cold muscles impacts performance and creates opportunities for injury. Warm up first, lift, then stretch.

I'm not sure what you're basing this on, but

you're wrong. I can't believe that you would encourage people to not stretch prior to a workout. Stretching, in fact, increases flexibility, muscle control, and range of motion. It is something that ALL athletes peform before AND after any exercise. It is ignorant to advocate any routine that discourages stretching.
2) There is no such thing as "toning" or "lean muscle". Tone is defined as the ability to see muscle underneath your skin and has nothing to do with lifting, and everything to do with a lack of fat on your body. Toning implies that you can impact specific points on your body, like doing sit-ups so you can have a six-pack stomach. And, it won't happen. Fat comes off in the reverse order it was added.

What do you base this statement on? You should quit trusting wikipedia and do research on your own. Lean muscle, in contrast to bulk muscle, is still in fact "muscle" however it is not bulky. Any exercise program encourages loss of body fat and strengthening of muscles. Toning exercise, AKA high repetition, helps develop stamina and strengthen already existing muscle rather than building larger muscles.

3) Muscle is always lean, because it is muscle. "Lean muscle" is a fabrication of some beauty magazine writer.

Tiger Woods VS. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Lean vs. bulk...Need I say more?

4) Low reps do not build bulk. In fact, most weight-classed weight lifters use 1-3 reps to build maximum strength without significant muscle mass.

This is exactly what I said earlier. LOW WEIGHT, HIGH REP DOESN'T BUILD BULK, IT BUILDS STAMINA. Perhaps you should read my statement before you critique it.

5) Muscle mass tends to depart from people as they age. Almost everyone over the age of 30, male and female, should be trying to add muscle mass to counteract the natural effects of aging.

Muscle mass decreases in coorelation to decreased usage, not directly with age. If that were the case, there would not be anyone at age 50 with muscles. Once again, you're wrong.

6) If you're doing more than 12 reps, you need to move up. Otherwise, your either not working your muscle at a high enough level, or you're in a aerobic exercise may be burning muscle mass for energy rather than building muscle mass.

You can not "burn" muscle mass. By performing a high number of reps you are only increasing the stamina of your muscles. I'm not sure what you mean by "burning muscle mass for energy rather than build muscle mass" That statement doesn't make sense. Again, my exerecise program is centered around building muscle stamina not muscle mass. Read before you write buddy.

I'm not sure what "program" you're in, but you better start checking those books. Are they 20 years old or what? All of the above info is easily verifiable on the web.

I am a Senior at Texas A&M; University focusing on biomechanics. Most of the information I have on the subject has come from PhD's and the most up-to-date text books possible. I am confident in say that my "program" is a lot more informed than yours (wikipedia). Not everything you read on the internet is true. Before you go around correcting everyone becuase you think you "researched a topic", go find a scholarly article to cite.

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

You can't over stretch

I don't really disagree with this statement, but it is misleading. You can "over" stretch, you just can't stretch too much or too often. But I'm not majoring in this field so maybe I don't know anything.

I stretch every morning and every evening when I shower.

How big is your shower???

All in all, it looks like a very good routine. I have a dvd for yoga for golfers that I use and love it.

I've been doing the Mobilty A stretching program laid out by mytpi.com since Tuesday. Haven't had a chance to swing a club since I started but I feel much better and more confident.

Anyone who hasn't checked out MyTPI.com should. Excellent site.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

I stated in another thread (many threads actually) that you shouldn't stretch your lower back. Never stretch it if you want to keep it healthy!

Tricep dips can be bad for the shoulders because of the awkward position it puts them in. Normal dips are better anyways.

Forget about bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc. Forget about machines. These will not transfer into real life strength.

Lift fast. It makes no sense to train slow for an activity that requires speed and power.

No machines!! (I'll say it again )

14-20 repetitions will emphasize muscle mass increase over strength. For strength you need to train low repetitions, 5 is perfect. Anyone who says otherwise probably just read wikipedia or something

Did I mention no machines?!?! By the way, machines cause injury in the long run because they restrict your movement. Dumbells and barbells are much better.

You need to train your legs! Stressing the legs releases hormones that let your whole body grow.

Crunches are okay once in a while but in the long run they shorten your hip flexors.

High repetitions with low weight for a "cut" look is a myth. You get "cut up" by having strong and dense muscles (by training with heavy weights), and having low body fat. Here:

Strength: 1-5 reps
Mass: 6+ reps

Training for mass and using machines (like bodybuilders do) will decrease your distances in golf.

If there's one thing you take from my post, it is that you should never stretch your lower back. Here's why: your lower back is made for stability, not mobility. Mobility is the job of other parts, like the hips. The lower back is made to be kept straight at all moments in your life (sleeping, walking, golfing, etc). Stretching it is as silly as stretching your knees and elbows.

Boxing gloves + heavy bag + speed bag + basic lifting + running = tone. I love it. If you really love boxing, that'd the thing to do - truly fun working out. A lot of shadow boxing and throwing punches.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Low weight, high reps is more for getting "cut" without adding a bunch of extra muscle. High weight, low reps will add muscle mass more quickly. I played baseball in college.....our workouts were completely different than a football players workout. Some of you that are questioning this guy need to do some damn research, other than the internet, before you spout off. I guess all those highly paid college strength trainers are complete idiots for having the ENTIRE football team do LOTS of stretching before each practice and game....they are just trying to get them injured! A perfect example of different builds was above.....Tiger's build as opposed to, say, Ray Lewis' build.

Low weight, high reps is more for getting "cut" without adding a bunch of extra muscle. High weight, low reps will add muscle mass more quickly. I played baseball in college.....our workouts were completely different than a football players workout. Some of you that are questioning this guy need to do some damn research, other than the internet, before you spout off. I guess all those highly paid college strength trainers are complete idiots for having the ENTIRE football team do LOTS of stretching before each practice and game....they are just trying to get them injured! A perfect example of different builds was above.....Tiger's build as opposed to, say, Ray Lewis' build.

You can't change the shape of the muscle to make it "cut." High weight, low reps will build strength. High weight medium reps will build mass.

I don't need research to back up my claims (though I have done my research). I went from a measly 120 lb squat to 275 lb squats in three months doing sets of 5 repetitions (which build strength, by the way, not mass). Eating will dictate if you put weight on the scale or not. Here: (Sets of 5) + 4500 calories a day = you will grow and have a DENSE LOOK (Sets of 6+) + 4500 calories a day = you will grow and have a BIG PUFFY LOOK, LIKE A BODYBUILDER. You will also slow down because you will be emphasizing mass growth over strength gains. Try it and see... (Sets of 5) + eating the same amt of calories that you burn = fat loss, strength gains, and you will not gain or lose weight. Most coaches and trainers don't know what they are doing, that's why people drop out of gyms so much, because they don't get results.

don't forget your cardio & at least 20 minutes of stretching when you're done.
nothing like wasting a good workout like not stretching.... train your heart too! do cardio!

and please...please... do the exercises the right way. I see people at the gym all the time doing 1/2 ass exercises and wondering why they're not seeing gains.

don't do those quick reps. contract and release the muscle you're focusing on.

But we all golf so stretching after should be our main focus.

oh and don't forget to work your fast twitch muscles. and even if you are building towards 1 way: cut or bulk, it's good to switch up your routine and do something like drop sets, supersets or circuit your training every now and again.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

You're right Yosh, form is fundamental to any exercise. Bad form can lead to injuries or minimum results.

A rule of thumb my coaches and I always abided by was the "4 second rule". A good lift should take about 4 seconds; 2 seconds down, 2 seconds up. When a person lifts too quickly, they kinda skip over the muscles. By slowly contracting the muscles, it puts more emphasis on the entire muscles rather than just the big parts of it.

And again, stretching is the most important part to any routine. Can't say that enough.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:

I try to work-out every-other day, i.e Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun. One day, one day off to let your body rest. I typically play on my days off and practice on the days I work out. I stretch every morning and every evening when I shower. I know it sounds wierd, but it feels alot better to stretch this way, plus it kills two bird with one stone.

Mate, I'm sorry to say so and it might be your "profession", but there are a couple of things I would be a little concerned about. First of all, don’t you think training the same muscle groups four times a week would lead to overtraining?

I'm not sure what you're basing this on, but

I agree stretching should be performed before any exercise routine, but it should be performed in a much ”lighter” way than stretching after exercise.

What do you base this statement on? You should quit trusting wikipedia and do research on your own. Lean muscle, in contrast to bulk muscle, is still in fact "muscle" however it is not bulky.

There is not such thing as a "bulky muscle" and a "lean muscle". Lean muscle just means not covered on fatty tissue, but its exactly the same type of muscle.

Muscle mass decreases in coorelation to decreased usage, not directly with age. If that were the case, there would not be anyone at age 50 with muscles. Once again, you're wrong.

I'm sorry mate, but you are the one wrong in this statement. Muscle does decrease with age, and there is a logarithmic decrease which can be decreased by exercise. Since you put up the example, you can compare lean muscle mass of an average 55 year old guy with an average 30 year old person with similar exercise and you would see an important decrease in muscle mass. Even cardiac muscle suffers from atrophy with age…

You can not "burn" muscle mass. By performing a high number of reps you are only increasing the stamina of your muscles. I'm not sure what you mean by "burning muscle mass for energy rather than build muscle mass" That statement doesn't make sense. Again, my exerecise program is centered around building muscle stamina not muscle mass. Read before you write buddy.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me, maybe in another context but it does. You CAN burn muscle mass. In fact any patient fasting or with a deficiency in its diet which is performing exercise will use muscle as its primary source of energy after depleting glycogen storage.

I am a Senior at Texas A&M; University focusing on biomechanics. Most of the information I have on the subject has come from PhD's and the most up-to-date text books possible. I am confident in say that my "program" is a lot more informed than yours (wikipedia). Not everything you read on the internet is true. Before you go around correcting everyone becuase you think you "researched a topic", go find a scholarly article to cite.

I find your judgement about other people’s knowledge coming from Wikipedia a little bit disturbing, even if it’s true.

I ain’t saying I do agree with what some people say here, I don’t even disagree with most of your points, but I do think you definitely have a lot to learn yet mate. I applause your quest for knowledge and the will you have to show your ideas, but there are much better and less offensive ways of doing so. I understand as well, since you are only 22, you would still be very temperamental when discussing issues where your opinion is confronted. And quoting your words, “before correcting everyone”, you should do a better insight and a better research. Why not bring us the “scholar articles” about it you speak about? I would be delighted to have a scientifically based debate about this post and I guess it would be of a great benefit to most people here who post in this forum to increase their knowledge of topics they might know nothing about but would be very happy to learn anything from. Remember mate, you don’t even have a degree, and you would be surprised about the people you can find in a forum like this one. There are some people here who definitely are way ahead, and who have way more experience than you do, and you may even have the opportunity to learn a bit from them, if you are opened to debate and to listen to someone else. Take care…

Mate, I'm sorry to say so and it might be your "profession", but there are a couple of things I would be a little concerned about. First of all, don’t you think training the same muscle groups four times a week would lead to overtraining?

No, I don't think so. As I stated in

my routine, there are day's of rest. These rest days allow the muscles to recuperate. I believe that overtraining happens when a specific muscle too much. For example, if you performed bench press everyday for 2 weeks straight, that would be overworking. Whereas, if you performed a light-weight, high rep routine 3-4 days a week, with days of rest in between, it wouldn't be overworked. Only way to find out is to do so yourself.
I agree stretching should be performed before any exercise routine, but it should be performed in a much ”lighter” way than stretching after exercise.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean my "light" and "heavy" stretching. I am assuming you mean something along the lines of a cool-down stretch so that your muscles don't cramp. I agree with that. I wouldn't suggest you go straight to your yoga class after you just hit the gym. That would be a bad idea. After a work out, it's a good idea to keep your muscles loose for a little while. I, personally, like to swing my clubs after I work out. Do whatever makes you feel good, but don't get sit on the couch.

There is not such thing as a "bulky muscle" and a "lean muscle". Lean muscle just means not covered on fatty tissue, but its exactly the same type of muscle.

I'm going to disagree with you. This has already been debated in this thread. Muscles are in fact muscles however you look at it. However, when muscles are repeatedly torn down and rebuilt, this result in bulky muscles. Compare Ray Lewis to Tiger Woods. Ray Lewis is extremely bulky and has extremely low body fat. Tiger Woods is muscluar but lean, and also has exteremly low body fat. It is the same muscle tissue, but it obviously built differently.

I'm sorry mate, but you are the one wrong in this statement. Muscle does decrease with age, and there is a logarithmic decrease which can be decreased by exercise. Since you put up the example, you can compare lean muscle mass of an average 55 year old guy with an average 30 year old person with similar exercise and you would see an important decrease in muscle mass. Even cardiac muscle suffers from atrophy with age…

Perhaps I expressed my opinion incorrectly. Muscle mass will decrease with age if you allow it to. If a person live a sedentary lifestyle, muscle mass will in fact decrease. However, if a person chooses to live a healthy, active lifestyle, tehy will be able to significantly slow this loss and be able to maintain their current build for many, many years.

It actually makes a lot of sense to me, maybe in another context but it does. You CAN burn muscle mass. In fact any patient fasting or with a deficiency in its diet which is performing exercise will use muscle as its primary source of energy after depleting glycogen storage.

You're correct, when the body runs out of "fuel" it will resort to burning muscle mass for energy. I strongly suggest that you do not fast or have any deficiencies in your diet when you begin a workout routine or participate in sports. I should have mentioned this earlier. I assumed that a healthy diet was a "given" for anyone intrested improving their health.

I find your judgement about other people’s knowledge coming from Wikipedia a little bit disturbing, even if it’s true.

I don't mean to be judgemental, more or less informal. People should understand that anyone can post anything on wikipedia. Not everything that you read on the internet is the truth. I don't judge you, or anyone else, for using wikipedia. I use it myself from time to time. However I wouldn't suggest citing it for any debates. Just my opinion.

I ain’t saying I do agree with what some people say here, I don’t even disagree with most of your points, but I do think you definitely have a lot to learn yet mate.

Don't we all? I learn something new everyday. When a person loses their desire to learn, they've ultimately lost their desire to live. I do have a lot to learn, and I will continue to. I hope that my sharing of what I have learned benefits someone on here. That is my only intention in sharing my knowledge.

I applause your quest for knowledge and the will you have to show your ideas, but there are much better and less offensive ways of doing so. I understand as well, since you are only 22, you would still be very temperamental when discussing issues where your opinion is confronted.

Thank you. And I don't believe I resorted to name calling or any other childish mannerisms. I debated my points and explained why I felt like my opinion was more informed that his. I don't mean to come across as temperamental. I'm really a laid back guy. But when opinion is confronted, I will not hesitate to support it with every fact that I can.

And quoting your words, “before correcting everyone”, you should do a better insight and a better research. Why not bring us the “scholar articles” about it you speak about? I would be delighted to have a scientifically based debate about this post and I guess it would be of a great benefit to most people here who post in this forum to increase their knowledge of topics they might know nothing about but would be very happy to learn anything from.

Indeed I will. I will request copies of our lectures from my classes if you would honestly like to read them. I have about 4 years worth of lecture notes and text books, I just really hate to scan them all. If you would like for me to, I will.

Remember mate, you don’t even have a degree, and you would be surprised about the people you can find in a forum like this one. There are some people here who definitely are way ahead, and who have way more experience than you do, and you may even have the opportunity to learn a bit from them, if you are opened to debate and to listen to someone else.

I am getting closer everyday to my degree. If I would spend more time in the library than on the golf course, I probably could have already accomplished this goal. However, a good coach should be able to back his "talk" up with his "game". I want my future students to be able to watch me play and believe that I know what I am teaching. Talk is cheap without support. That, my friend, is why I am willing to support any ideas I express. It is pointless to have an opinion without support.

There are many smart people on this forum. There are many good debaters on here as well. However, not everyone that says something is necessarily informed. When I put my workout routine on here, it is to help someone. I didn't force anyone to follow it, I merely suggested that it could beneficial to someone. If it doesn't work for you, then ignore. But if you're going to take the time to critique it, then do some with good reasoning and be prepared to be countered.
What I play:

Where I play:

• 2 months later...
Anyone do any other form of exercise or any special exercises to help their golf game? I wonder what works or not. I see those lame infomercials and I'm sure there's some merit to it or the pros wouldn't train in the gym...but what do you guys find really works?

I use the Bowflex. I got it when I injured my shoulder and it seems to be helping quite a bit.
Before the Bowflex I used those bungi type 'power bands' with handles for stretching and limbering up.

Oh and I carry a little weighted red doughnut for a quick warm up on the course if I have to wait on the tee for very long.
Hope this helps.

Whats In The Bag!
Ball - NXT Tour
Driver 983E
#3 Burner
#5 Metal Railer#3, #5 Burner Rescue Hybrids #5-PW, Gap, Tour CB Irons Wedges (56)588 - (60)CG BlackPearl Putter - Rossa Daytona

I saw a fitness pro back in May and again in July. Not just some "personal trainer," but someone who was certified through TPI (Titleist Performance Institute). I've been going through his prescribed routine three times a week: he gives me a workout with repetitions, weights, and links to information about the exercise at the TPI website, www.mytpi.com . Even if you don't have a fitness pro associated with this, you can still look through the exercises on the site.
My distance off the tee has increased significantly since I began. I also *feel* better than I used to, and some people who know me have told me that I look healthier than I used to, also.

Prior to this, I had started doing yoga, and I found that it helped me stay loose at the course (and in general). And it felt really good, too!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone do any other form of exercise or any special exercises to help their golf game? I wonder what works or not. I see those lame infomercials and I'm sure there's some merit to it or the pros wouldn't train in the gym...but what do you guys find

Have you ever watched "Golf Fitness Academy presented by Titleist" on the Golf Channel on Wednesday nights? Always some good stuff there. You can find some of the stuff on the site Shindig linked,

http://www.mytpi.com . (You have to register, but it's free).
Oh and I carry a little weighted red doughnut for a quick warm up on the course if I have to wait on the tee for very long.

Just a heads-up: Weighted clubs (doughnuts, etc.) are actually bad for your swing. The extra weight messes up the timing of your swing.

An MLB pitcher I got paired up with randomly one day (how cool is that?) confirmed what the study concluded.

Note: This thread is 5058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!