IGNORED

Work Out Routine (Exercise for Golf)

Brooklyn
Note: This thread is 5058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the gym a lot, though not specifically for golf. Fitness is just a part of my life philosophy - treating my body just like I would my finances or my mind or my relationships.

Crossfit is an excellent system for many people, though I wouldn't recommend it for someone who just wants to play better golf. Doing their "Workout of the Day" you will spend a lot of time on "metabolic" or "energy system" work that will have a very marginal impact on your golf game. I don't know about you, but I don't ever have to stop and catch my breath on the golf course.

However, Crossfit does endorse a program called "Starting Strength" that would be very beneficial. It cuts out the "metabolic" work, instead focusing on building overall muscle mass and strength (including your core). You'll improve your stability, flexibility, and balance. Expect to look stronger, hit the ball farther, and be more resistant to injury. Even if you want to do "Workout of the Day" eventually, I am one who believes that all beginners should use "Starting Strength" first to learn proper barbell technique and build a foundation of strength. Tim

I do this at home, but I basically do sit ups. push ups, six inches, leg lowerings, and some different things out of the plank position. Basically, this is all I did:

http://tinyurl.com/l24h4e

I am not trying to be a dick, I am just showing you where I got my exercises from.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

anything that strengthens your core would be very beneficial. you core muscles are what drives your golf swing, so make sure you do you crunches and sit ups.

for my workouts, i dont really go to the gym. i just do different things are home. i love to run so i do that 3 or 4 days a week, and then i do push-ups and sit-ups/cunches every day. ive really noticed a difference in my game as well. lasy year i never worked out at all and i could hit my 8 iron about 150ish yards. now this year, i can hit my 8 iron 165+, so its really helping me.

my suggestion is that you work on cardio of some sort (running, walking, biking, swimming, eliptical, etc...) 3 or 4 days per week. as for lifting, when i go to a gym i just do 3 sets of 10 on every machine. then you work everything at once! that might not be the smartest thing in the world to do, but it's worked for me.

good luck!

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

I've been considering taking yoga classes for flexability. Has anyone else tried this?

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

... sit ups... six inches, leg lowerings, and some different things out of the plank position...

anything that strengthens your core would be very beneficial... crunches and sit ups...

1. The "core" is a whole lot more than just your abs. All of these exercises that have been mentioned only cover your front side. DO NOT neglect your back.... learn to

deadlift . I attribute my power primarily to having strong back muscles and hips. 2. Doing most bodyweight exercises like those mentioned here will have limited benefit after a while. Once you can do 15+ consecutive repetitions of something it is no longer building strength, just endurance. It's not helping you to generate more force. You need to continue to gradually increase the resistance if you want to challenge your muscles to grow stronger. Tim

1. The "core" is a whole lot more than just your abs. All of these exercises that have been mentioned only cover your front side. DO NOT neglect your back.... learn to

The stuff I was talking about was for you to do at home. Unless you have weights at home you can't dead lift, but if you'r going to the gym I would also recommend it.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I've been considering taking yoga classes for flexability. Has anyone else tried this?

Haven't taken formal classes but have used yoga to increase flexibility. Focusing on core strength and flexibiliy seems to help a lot. Good luck

If you're going to deadlift, do get someone who knows what they're doing to show you how. If you do it incorrectly, you can do some serious damage. With the right technique, they're fantastic, though. Strengthening those muscles will help you keep from hurting yourself later.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yoga is excellent for core strength and flexibility.

I have Kathy Smith's basic yoga---it is great. http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Yo.../ref=pd_cp_d_1 just joined a gym again after a long hiatus from gyms (24HR Fitness via Costco at $12.50 per month) I tend to bike for 30 minutes then work on legs/core--golf might not require much cardio (on most courses even if carrying your bag), but its good for your health. Core, Gluts, Legs, Shoulders, and Forearms (in that order) are good for golf--just don't lose flexibility and balance when working on strength.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I use a personal trainer. She works me hard, used to be a professional body builder. I don't get trained for golf specifically, I use the gym as something to do besides golf. That being said, I do do core and back exersizes. I have seen a gain in power and distance as well as in stamina and focus.

I've taken and really enjoy yoga. It not only helps with flexibility, but also staying calm on the course. Unfortunately I now work during the yoga class I've been taking at the club, so I'll have to find another.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My chiropractor (is heavily involved in athletic therapy for numerous sports) has done the TPI certification; two weeks ago he did my assessment and then last week gave me a program. I do it at home and only use a swiss ball and resistance bands; everything else is just using body weight. It takes about 45 minutes and I am sweating hard by the end of it. I also have a Core Day 1 and Day 2 program that I alternate. I have done the workout 4 times so far and have already noticed the difference in core strength and flexibility. I do the program every other day, and then on the off days do between 6-9 miles on an elliptical trainer and do the Core day 2 stuff.

If you go to the TPI website they list certified trainers in different areas. I would try to find one and have them put you on a golf specific program.

Out of his office, he also has a yoga studio; I am going to start this in September. It is hot yoga (done at 104˚) but I have talked to others that have done it and they have been very happy with it.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I've been doing yoga two times a week for about 2 months now and it has helped my game alot. I've added 10 to 15 yards and I don't have a sore back after 18 holes.

Ive just joined my local gym again and ive been thinking of doing flexibility and strength training!

If you're planning on lifting upper body (chest/shoulders) consider lifting dumbells rather than barbell weights. Dumbells provide greater balance and in my experience leads to greater flexibility than barbells as well.

If you're really looking to improve your game, really focus on increasing your core-strength and your legs as one's swing benefits most from a strong midsection and legs.

Thanks all for your replies!

Ive found a personal trainer to help me, mainly working on core muscles on day 1 program and then working on legs and arms in day 2 program! Im already feeling it after yesterdays day 1 workout, my midsection is aching like hell and hurts if i cough haha! But as they say no pain no gain!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

Note: This thread is 5058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!