Jump to content
IGNORED

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Golf?


Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Golf?  

70 members have voted

  1. 1. If physical aches/pains/problems were non-issues, and money and time were no object, how often would you play?

    • Once a week?
      0
    • Twice a week?
      4
    • 3-4 times weekly?
      41
    • Daily?
      25


Recommended Posts

I selected twice a week, and was surprised to see that I was in the minority there. 

Geez, I know we all love golf here - myself included - but sometimes when things are going sideways and I've put a few bad rounds together, I just need a break for a week or two to re-charge my enthusiasm. 

Realistically, I don't think I could play more than 100 rounds a year and still enjoy the game as much as I do right now. I know some people can do it but I think I would get burned out if half of my days were spent playing golf.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If time and money weren't issues. I'd either play and/or practice every day. If the weather's good I'm going to play at least 9. (I'm one of those weird guys that likes playing 9.)  The perfect w

3-4 times a week for me and that is my schedule currently allows.  At 68 there are a few aches at times. I also know what is too much golf.  Last year I joined a small group (8) of golfers in Flo

Well, there wasn't today. Played 18 with my buddy, who I've known for 45 years. Shot a stupid 77, with a 4 putt on the 18th green. Came off the course, and a group that plays Friday mornings at 1

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Big C said:

I selected twice a week, and was surprised to see that I was in the minority there. 

Geez, I know we all love golf here - myself included - but sometimes when things are going sideways and I've put a few bad rounds together, I just need a break for a week or two to re-charge my enthusiasm. 

Realistically, I don't think I could play more than 100 rounds a year and still enjoy the game as much as I do right now. I know some people can do it but I think I would get burned out if half of my days were spent playing golf.

Yup, this is me exactly - heck I voted "twice a week" leaning towards once.

I only want to play all the time right now because I rarely do. 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said 3-4. But honestly I've never had a period of months where I averaged more than a bit more than 1x a week (though I've had many periods where I was playing 1x/week but also practicing 2-4 times). So I'm pretty much always wishing I could get out on the course more.

Which is to say, I don't think I've ever played more than maybe 40 rounds in a year. I don't actually know whether I'd prefer 100, 200, or 300 rounds a year!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
Just now, mdl said:

I said 3-4. But honestly I've never had a period of months where I averaged more than a bit more than 1x a week (though I've had many periods where I was playing 1x/week but also practicing 2-4 times). So I'm pretty much always wishing I could get out on the course more.

Which is to say, I don't think I've ever played more than maybe 40 rounds in a year. I don't actually know whether I'd prefer 100, 200, or 300 rounds a year!

same - the most I've ever played was last year and I think I was in the upper 20's/low 30's, I don't remember. Perhaps if I played 3-4/week (which was my choice), I may find I'd back it down to 2/week. But for now, I can wish!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, mdl said:

I said 3-4. But honestly I've never had a period of months where I averaged more than a bit more than 1x a week (though I've had many periods where I was playing 1x/week but also practicing 2-4 times). So I'm pretty much always wishing I could get out on the course more.

Which is to say, I don't think I've ever played more than maybe 40 rounds in a year. I don't actually know whether I'd prefer 100, 200, or 300 rounds a year!

Yeah, I don't think I have ever logged more than 50 rounds, so I am speculating as well. But I have participated in a couple of outings where I play something like 4-5 rounds in a 3 day period. And  while I enjoy those trips immensely, when I am done with them, I am DONE - ready to put my clubs away for a week or two and do something else for a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Yeah, I don't think I have ever logged more than 50 rounds, so I am speculating as well. But I have participated in a couple of outings where I play something like 4-5 rounds in a 3 day period. And  while I enjoy those trips immensely, when I am done with them, I am DONE - ready to put my clubs away for a week or two and do something else for a bit.

Yeah, same here.  I think my record a couple of years ago was around 40, so what do I know, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Big C said:

Yeah, I don't think I have ever logged more than 50 rounds, so I am speculating as well. But I have participated in a couple of outings where I play something like 4-5 rounds in a 3 day period. And  while I enjoy those trips immensely, when I am done with them, I am DONE - ready to put my clubs away for a week or two and do something else for a bit.

My yearly trip to Bandon, with 4 rounds in 3 days, is tiring for sure. Speaking of which, 4 week out! Sheep Ranch!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My game deteriorates if I play too much.  I believe I'm more loosey goosey, and swing more freely, when I just play occasionally.  So, those two-day events don't suit me well.

Conversely, I have always played very well after a layoff.

Of course, since I have not played since last March, a week before the nationwide lockdown, I will probably be a 0 from the tips now.  😁

My wife and I are getting our second shots February 19, so by the time the zoysia turns green, I'll be ready to go.  Good timing because a buddy is retiring and we've been wanting to take him to my course, rated #1 in the state and #36 in the country.  & make it a regular thing.

😷

My GM (of 10 years) and I are simpatico, so he knew I would not have wanted to be face-to-face with tourist golfers last year.  He didn't even go there.  So, mostly to keep in touch, and out of a very-boring rut staying safe, I volunteered my time at the course, just working at the range, distancing.

I'm looking forward to the game I started playing 60 years ago; my baseball and football days are probably over.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

For most of my adult life I was just an occasional golfer.  Then, 14 years ago when I started my retiree golf course work, I started playing in Men's Day, and have made it a practice of playing once a week during season, and occasionally in Florida in the Winter.  I have not played since March 15, 2020.

My game deteriorates if I play too much.  I believe I'm more loosey goosey, and swing more freely, when I just play occasionally.  So, those two-day events don't suit me well.

Conversely, I have always played very well after a layoff.

Of course, since I have not played since last March, a week before the nationwide lockdown, I will probably be a 0 from the tips now.  😁

My wife and I are getting our second shots February 19, so by the time the zoysia turns green, I'll be ready to go.  Good timing because a buddy is retiring and we've been wanting to take him to my course, rated #1 in the state and #36 in the country.  & make it a regular thing.

😷

My GM (of 10 years) and I are simpatico, so he knew I would not have wanted to be face-to-face with tourist golfers last year.  He didn't even go there.  So, mostly to keep in touch, and out of a very-boring rut staying safe, I volunteered my time at the course, just working at the range, distancing.

I'm looking forward to the game I started playing 60 years ago; my baseball and football days are probably over.  😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would play every day early in the morning.  This will leave the rest of the day free.

Even now, when I play, I play early in the morning.  Usually, I get the first or the second (if first is taken) tee time in the morning.  This leaves me the rest of the day free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Yukari said:

I would play every day early in the morning.  This will leave the rest of the day free.

Even now, when I play, I play early in the morning.  Usually, I get the first or the second (if first is taken) tee time in the morning.  This leaves me the rest of the day free.

Same here.

Except when I have to pay, and afternoon tee times cost less.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ole Duffer said:

Same here.

Except when I have to pay, and afternoon tee times cost less.

When I play with co-workers and/or my guests, it's normally the first tee time of the day, except for letting any members close behind us go before us, if they are ones who play fast.   If/when I play with the big member group, or run a Quota game for them, I go at their mid-morning times.  When I used to play in Men's Day at my other course, it was an 8:00 shotgun.

Kinda hoped that this would just merge with my last lost, but it didn't.

Edited by Ole Duffer
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I wish The decision to play was mine. The devils dandruff is currently falling from the sky again. February sucks!

I'm playing today in a swamp because it's the last day before nine straight days of frozen tundra, with the courses closed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
54 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm playing today in a swamp because it's the last day before nine straight days of frozen tundra, with the courses closed.

North Bell could open in the tundra. At least they have before.  I'll play if there's no wind... I suppose that could say I don't know when to say that's too much golf...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

North Bell could open in the tundra. At least they have before.  I'll play if there's no wind... I suppose that could say I don't know when to say that's too much golf...

You've seen my photo from North Bell in the tundra?

13935267929811.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Headcovers for your irons is like a vinyl film hood cover on your car.  It protects the hood from rock chips (purely aesthetic) but is a bad look.  Wear and tear on certain things in life is a given (bodies included), adds character and we should embrace it.  Like a good pair of faded jeans.  Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.
    • I can relate, but like yourself, I like the challenge of achievement.   I have a great opportunity for a miracle!  wait... I need a miracle or something like that!
    • I will not put a white belt on my clubs!   A couple of the guys I play with on the weekend purchased new clubs and bought club covers.. ugh.   
    • Yeah, no. I’m giving you a 4/10 on the Golf Swing Guru Crackpot Scale. You lost points for: No visual aids. Like, at all. No citing a YouTube video claiming this swing shows off what you are talking about. No mystical looking 1990-style website. No avatar of some part of the body or a golf swing. You gained points for: Suggesting that you alone know the truth or facts at play here. Misusing big words you clearly don’t understand. Citing Ben Hogan. Try harder next time. You can do it!
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 14ledo81
      14ledo81
      (40 years old)
    2. AussieDan
      AussieDan
      (35 years old)
    3. boggssharp
      boggssharp
      (67 years old)
    4. davisrod29
      davisrod29
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...