IGNORED

2021 Masters

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Anybody have a soft heart for Speith, and hope he wins?

Well....he’s a nice kid. But reality? He had a pretty nice upbringing. Country club golf, entire family excelled at sports, had every resource he needed to pursue his dream and enormous talent.

I’d like to see him win for sure. But I don’t really have a soft heart for him.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ll play...Dustin Johnson -18, now all that needs to happen is for him to do it, not -16 nor -17 but -18.

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Rory McIlroy at -17.  I think this is the time he gets his game back in order and starts completing his grandslam of majors

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Anybody have a soft heart for Speith, and hope he wins?

There are a lot guys I'd like to see win this weekend. Spieth is definitely one of them.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Cmon Robert Macintyre, and I would like to see Westwood win. Live coverage doesn’t start in the UK until 7pm or 2pm local but featured groups start at 2pm / 9 am local. Is that the same for stateside? 

If there is one tournament that I would actually sit and watch all day it’s the Masters.

Stevie T

Being the Masters thread, I thought i would give my 2cents on No13 and for me, the only real solution.  Instead of trying to out-distance the hole to fit the todays' golfer, why not tuck the tee box up into the woods a little more (facing out to the tee shot, move it to the left into the woods more).  Maybe take away the cutting the corner over the trees shot a little.  Put that tee box back in there so that going over may not be an option.
And the most sensible solution to the No13 length problem is to MAKE IT A PAR 4 !!  Sure, it would make the Masters, the  AugNat'lGolfClub a par 71; so what? in my opinion, this would keep the original intent of the course designers. 😮

There has certainly been a whole lotta history at 13, tournaments won and tournaments lost, but here today, it is a birdie hole.

Edited by burr

• Administrator

The par doesn't really matter. And the more players learn about strategy, the closer how much it matters gets to zero.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

well, that's why I think it's the best solution.   no more wedge to a par 5.

Edited by burr

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, burr said:

well, that's why I think it's the best solution.   no more wedge to a par 5.

Guys rarely have a wedge to that hole.

Unless you mean for their third. 😄

Dustin Johnson laid up last year, IIRC. Tiger did, from 204, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

then what's all the talk about buying the property from AugCC and lengthening the hole to counter the aggressive lines used now.   There is talk of using a special 'Masters' ball even.

if DustinJohnson laid up last year, it wasn't by his gameplan for the week.  It was last round, protecting a good lead, not blowin it.

204 for Tiger, whats that, a 7?  That is a second shot typical par 4 for these guys.

Edited by burr

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, burr said:

then what's all the talk about buying the property from AugCC and lengthening the hole to counter the aggressive lines used now.   There is talk of using a special 'Masters' ball even.

I mean, they put hospitality back there. And maybe they'll lengthen it someday. And the "talk" I wouldn't call "all the talk". It's not being talked about much.

You're also now shifting the goalposts, aren't you? I can't keep discussing something when you keep moving the goalposts like that.

24 minutes ago, burr said:

if DustinJohnson laid up last year, it wasn't by his gameplan for the week.  It was last round, protecting a good lead, not blowin it.

The fact remains: outside of a horrible lie, nobody lays up with an 8I or less into a green. He had a 4I or something, IIRC.

26 minutes ago, burr said:

204 for Tiger, whats that, a 7?  That is a second shot typical par 4 for these guys.

It was not a 7I. And no, that's not a typical second shot on a par 4.

The 13th is still 510 yards. Short for a par five, sure, but so is the 10th at Riviera (for a par four). And the scoring average even in the lowest scoring year is still closer to 5 than 4.

image.png

https://www.masters.com/en_US/course/hole13.html

And, what's wrong with a few more "eagles"?

To actually talk about the 2021 Masters…

• I'm LOVING how firm and fast it is.
  • I've seen some people look absolutely foolish on the putting greens.
  • This is like the Massacre at Winged Foot, kinda.
  • It'll rain, so it'll be softer. Sub-Air isn't capable of nearly as much as people think it is.
  • Bubba, seriously, you don't have to curve every shot 60 yards, and you'd probably be a better player if you didn't.

Is it just me, or do the greens look browner than they have in the past?

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

And, what's wrong with a few more "eagles"?

I agree that the course is fine as it is. IMO, the reachability of the par-5 holes at Augusta National makes them more interesting. On 13 and 15, there are plenty of things that can go wrong too, which makes them exciting to watch.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

DJ, Westwood and the amateur kid (Tyler Starfaci) I guess is an acceptable feature group here for me to half watch right now. This is so fun it's the Masters again after just five months. Getting rekt on Draftkings so far too, as per usual, though it's obviously too early to care there.. Still it'd be nice to have an early hopeful lineup.

It's still the Masters though! Love it!

Edit: Oh cool, Koepka, Hovland and Bubba are the other group, nice!

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

27 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Is it just me, or do the greens look browner than they have in the past?

I agree that the course is fine as it is. IMO, the reachability of the par-5 holes at Augusta National makes them more interesting. On 13 and 15, there are plenty of things that can go wrong too, which makes them exciting to watch.

An important aspect that needs to be in place is for the reachable par 5s to have that risk-reward aspect to it so the golfers just can't swing away with out a possible penalty. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

An important aspect that needs to be in place is for the reachable par 5s to have that risk-reward aspect to it so the golfers just can't swing away with out a possible penalty. 

Yea, I used to think they should lengthen thirteen, but I'm fine with it as is because of the complicated green and the sidehill lie approach. It's a bit annoying you can get a wedge in there if you're long enough off the tee, but I guess that's just part of the game, and for whatever reason, doesn't diminish the coolness of the hole at all for me anymore.

• Like 1

Constantine

58 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I think the par 5's at Augusta have that in place.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!