IGNORED

2021 Masters

12 hours ago, Billy Z said:

xs has got to be disappointed looking back at the triple B he had. 

Really? 🤣

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll give a free TST towel to the first person who names the winner (full name, not just last name) and the correct winning score in relation to par. Only one entry per person, and your first ent

The most important part of the Masters Tournament has just been decided.  I'm there for the lobster & corn fritters, miso-marinated sea bass and the peach cobbler.

Liver, fava beans and a nice chianti.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I'd rather not see Gary there too. He isn't a good ambassador for the game, and despite his wins, shouldn't be taking a starter role IMO.

What Wayne did is a disgrace that will be seen in almost every image of Lee Elder from this monumental moment. It really is a shame.

I’d say Gary’s son has learned from a life of privilege he can do no wrong, my ex wife had a daughter just like that who told Police she knew her rights and they couldn’t talk to her without her permission and she didn’t give it. Obviously arrested and charged with assault of her “mother” she was contrite until the court finished with her, laughable but sad... 

55 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

my ex wife had a daughter just like that who told Police she knew her rights and they couldn’t talk to her without her permission and she didn’t give it. Obviously arrested and charged with assault of her “mother” she was contrite until the court finished with her, laughable but sad... 

I know her! Her name is Karen. 😄

I wouldn’t mind if they varied the honorary starters. It seems the style is to pick someone that can come until they decline for health reasons or pass away. Inviting Elder was nice, but I don’t see the need for Nicklaus and Player to do it for 10-20 years.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Zeph said:

I wouldn’t mind if they varied the honorary starters. It seems the style is to pick someone that can come until they decline for health reasons or pass away. Inviting Elder was nice, but I don’t see the need for Nicklaus and Player to do it for 10-20 years.

It didn’t become a “tradition” until 2007 (there were no honorary starters 2003-2006). No need to stick with Gary and Jack. They could even have the winner of the ANWA and the drive, chip, putt thing do it. No need to see old guys who can barely swing a club out there. Mix it up. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Braivo said:

It didn’t become a “tradition” until 2007 (there were no honorary starters 2003-2006). No need to stick with Gary and Jack. They could even have the winner of the ANWA and the drive, chip, putt thing do it. No need to see old guys who can barely swing a club out there. Mix it up. 

That's not true.

Since 1963, the custom in most years has been to start the tournament with an honorary opening tee shot at the first hole, typically by one or more legendary players. The original honorary starters were Jock Hutchison and Fred McLeod; this twosome led off every tournament from 1963 until 1973 when poor health prevented Hutchison from swinging a club. McLeod continued on until his death in 1976. Byron Nelson and Gene Sarazen started in 1981 and were then joined by Sam Snead in 1984. This trio continued until 1999 when Sarazen died, while Nelson stopped in 2001. Snead hit his final opening tee shot in 2002, a little over a month before he died.

In 2007, Arnold Palmer took over as the honorary starter. Palmer also had the honor in 2008 and 2009.[57] At the 2010 and 2011 Masters Tournaments, Jack Nicklaus joined Palmer as an honorary co-starter for the event.[58] In 2012, Gary Player joined them.

A tradition can have a small break, especially when it had been going for 40 years, and nobody was really "available" to be a good honorary starter.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

A tradition can have a small break, especially when it had been going for 40 years, and nobody was really "available" to be a good honorary starter.

Fair enough. Who's after Jack and Gary?

Too early for Phil and Tiger.

Faldo? Tom Watson? Langer?

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

Fair enough. Who's after Jack and Gary?

Too early for Phil and Tiger.

Faldo? Tom Watson? Langer?

Woosnam, Watson 

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Crenshaw would be good.

Off the top of my head, yeah:

• Watson, 71, 2 Masters
  • Crenshaw, 69, 2 Masters
  • Faldo, 63, 3 Masters
  • Langer, 63, 2 Masters
  • Olazabal, 55, 2 Masters
  • Mickelson, 50, 3 Masters

I'd not do it for Woosnam. He only won 1 Masters and unlike Lee Elder has no cultural significance. You can fill the list from up above with 2, 3, or even 4 multiple-time Masters champions. And in ten years you can replace them with two more in José Maria and Phil, and five or ten after that with Tiger if he wants to.

Seve would have been on the list had he survived.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

• Watson, 71, 2 Masters
  • Faldo, 63, 3 Masters
  • Langer, 63, 2 Masters

Good list. 

The question is, how many do you have at a time? Do you cap that number? And is it a "lifetime" thing that they continue until unable/death? Or do you rotate?

Let's say they limit it to 3 and we have Langer/Faldo/Olazabal and they all live/participate until 90, Phil would be 77 before getting a chance.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Good list. 

The question is, how many do you have at a time? Do you cap that number? And is it a "lifetime" thing that they continue until unable/death? Or do you rotate?

Let's say they limit it to 3 and we have Langer/Faldo/Olazabal and they all live/participate until 90, Phil would be 77 before getting a chance.

They’re not going to have three international players.

2-3 at a time max.

And obviously it has to be someone who isn’t playing in the tournament.

Just now, iacas said:

They’re not going to have three international players.

2-3 at a time max.

True. But is it a "lifetime" appointment once you get the honor? The precedent is that it is. 

11 hours ago, Shorty said:

I know her! Her name is Karen. 😄

I feel sad for a coworker who's name is Karen. She seems like a very nice person. 

I would like to see other prominant master's champions take the first tee honors. 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Braivo said:

True. But is it a "lifetime" appointment once you get the honor? The precedent is that it is. 

Even if it was that doesn’t mean it has to remain that way.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Off the top of my head, yeah:

• Watson, 71, 2 Masters
  • Faldo, 63, 3 Masters
  • Langer, 63, 2 Masters

I'd not do it for Woosnam. He only won 1 Masters and unlike Lee Elder has no cultural significance. You can fill the list from up above with 2, 3, or even 4 multiple-time Masters champions. And in ten years you can replace them with two more in José Maria and Phil, and five or ten after that with Tiger if he wants to.

Seve would have been on the list had he survived.

How about Greg Norman?

”Our honorary starter never won the Masters because he seemingly choked on the back nine every year.“😜

I like the idea of having the ANWA winner, and then add Crenshaw and Watson. It's probably a big ask to ask the ANWA winner stick around for an extra 5 days, but I'm guessing they could work something out there.