IGNORED

Just Epic Head or Epic Sub Zero?

I’ve bought the sub zero and my friend uses the Epic and says it’s easier to hit, I’ve been using M3 and recently the R7 and decided I should try something else, so callaway epic sub zero appears for a good price on eBay callaway pre owned. I buy the head only as I have a shaft that suits me already, my r7 is not easy to hit and I think the sub zero will be easier to hit than the r7. Or is it true new clubs are harder to hit than older clubs, what’s your experience tell you I would like to know? If all fails I can sell right....

In my experience, new clubs are getting easier to hit due to the tech in them, the sweetspots are getting bigger aswel....

I had a R9 a few years back it was the R9 deep something or other, was a nightmare to hit when l bought, but l adapted and could bomb it by the end.

Now i game a 2020 Cobra Speedzone and it was almost an instant success, a few tweeks of the hozel, moved a weight and boom.

Ive just ordered a PXG Gen2 Driver to match my 3wood, l could not test it because of the lockdown, but like you, if l cant hit it, ill sell it

The 2nh hand club market is strong right now, so you will have no issues selling

• Administrator

The Epic is a bit easier to hit than the Sub-Zero, as the Sub-Zero moves the CG slightly forward which decreases spin, but makes the spin axis easier to tilt.

• Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The M3 should have been far more forgiving than the R7 and likewise the Callaway should also be far more forgiving than the R7. Difference between the M3 and Callaway will be much smaller. As stated above the standard Epic will be a higher/straighter flying head than the subzero. Deeper CG means a higher MOI and that means if you hit the ball towards the toe, heel, high, or low on the face, the head will stay more stable and resist twisting and the resulting ball flight will be more consistent in launch and spin.

9 hours ago, Bree1982 said:

In my experience, new clubs are getting easier to hit due to the tech in them, the sweetspots are getting bigger aswel....

My thoughts as well, I can but try plus I'm enjoying playing with the setup of my Drivers, my Nickent 7DX play well for me too...

5 hours ago, Adam C said:

The M3 should have been far more forgiving than the R7 and likewise the Callaway should also be far more forgiving than the R7. Difference between the M3 and Callaway will be much smaller. As stated above the standard Epic will be a higher/straighter flying head than the subzero. Deeper CG means a higher MOI and that means if you hit the ball towards the toe, heel, high, or low on the face, the head will stay more stable and resist twisting and the resulting ball flight will be more consistent in launch and spin.

Yeah the M3 should be easier to hit but I couldn't get it setup to suit me, too many adjustments possible plus I tried the standard setup because the R7 is standard with no adjustment and I hit it well. I'm hoping the sub zero with less adjustment I will be able to set it to suit me abit easier. My average drive is 210 out to 232, that's with a draw that can become a hook, the hook is my miss which is particularly a bad shot because at Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club your in straw. That's long thick grass that means lost ball more often than not unless you have very good eyesight lol....

On 1/15/2021 at 1:32 AM, iacas said:

The Epic is a bit easier to hit than the Sub-Zero, as the Sub-Zero moves the CG slightly forward which decreases spin, but makes the spin axis easier to tilt.

Chance dictated I bought the subzero head, I’m hitting the r7 8.5’ loft with reg purple ice shaft 225 metres with small draw. The subzero is 9’ loft so hoping the lower loft works for me, but I will put a epic adapter on the purple ice stiff and reg shafts. One of them should work, I’m leaning towards the stiff as I’m 90% recovered and working on getting stronger and fitter than I was before my long illness, it’s a nice feeling getting my driver to work for me....