IGNORED

Patrick Reed - The Man, the Child Abuse (?), Redemption (??)

Phil McGleno

Patrick Reed Abuse  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If Patrick Reed was Physically and Emotionally Abused as a Child, Does Your Opinion of Him Change?

• Yeah
    • No

13 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

With all due respect: That's an illogical position, IMO.  If somebody regards Reed's being abused as a child a reason to moderate a negative opinion based upon his cheating, they are implicitly moderating their criticism of his cheating.  "Well, no, it's not ok to cheat, but..."

You can hold the position that he has circumstances in his life that should be considered when forming a judgement of them and also hold the position that he should no the allowed to cheat. One does not excuse the other. 

14 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

IMO there is no "but."  A cheater is a cheater.  He's a 30-year old adult.  He certainly knows by now cheating is wrong.

Most people just do stuff in the moment. They are not sitting there thinking the positives and negatives of the action. As such, there is a lot of subconscious programming that influence everything we do.  Also, we don't just magically wipe all that subconscious programming from our brains as soon as we becomes adult. 

Again, this does excuse the cheating, but it does help me formulate a more clear picture of Patrick Reed as a person. Let's go with the simple example. 

1. Phil Mickelson cheats in 2021
2. Some rookie cheats in 2021

What if, the rookie was taught cheating by a bad coach in high school and he hasn't gotten caught till his rookie season on the PGA Tour. 

I can hold the position that the rookie was given bad influence during time in his life when he was learning what right and wrong is in golf. Ethical sportsmanship isn't something that comes naturally, it is also taught to kids. 

Now, both of them should be given the full penalty under the rules of golf. 

In terms of public perception. I am not docking the rookie as much as I am Phil. 

22 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

Correct.  My father was an alcoholic.  Statistically: This predisposes me to alcoholism, too.  Yet I am not an alcoholic.  Sometimes our parents can lead as well by being a bad example as a good one 😉

That is in your hard wiring. Something you had no control over.  In general, if there is an alcoholic in the family, the kid is 3-4x more likely to become one. Just be glad you were lucky enough not to be on. 

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I voted no because I've always kinda been a fan (despite all the issues). I guess I would like to hear the story of abuse from him or someone in the family. I don't like just getting one side of any story.

Pretty much sums of my thoughts.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

one direction larry stylinson GIF

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not everything has to be black and white. You can have more empathy for the guy's upbringing if he was abused and still condemn his cheating. They're not mutually exclusive.

In the context of this topic, you can simultaneously have a different opinion of him if you found out he was a victim of child abuse and still think he's a cheat. I'd still think he's an ass, but I'd certainly have a little more sympathy for the man.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yes, a bit clearer picture. We can assume that the abuse has triggered or contributed towards an offensive mindset and he seems to be a type of person who does not worry over a few stomped daisies.

I still would have hard time rooting for him. 

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd suggest neither of you really understand child abuse.

The poll doesn't ask if you're okay with or excuse his cheating or any bravado comments he's made, it asks if you see him differently.

Do you see Tiger's cheating stuff differently when you learn about Earl cheating on his mother and all of that stuff? Of course it does (I'd hope).

I never knew that about Earl.  So yes at this moment I do see Tiger differently.  Thanks for pointing this out. 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, billchao said:

Not everything has to be black and white. You can have more empathy for the guy's upbringing if he was abused and still condemn his cheating. They're not mutually exclusive.

In the context of this topic, you can simultaneously have a different opinion of him if you found out he was a victim of child abuse and still think he's a cheat.

You should have stopped there… It was so good up until that point.

Because I think you've got next to no information on the "ass" stuff. To quote LPGA Tour player Lauren Coughlin…

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but Patrick is more well liked than the media gives him credit for. He for sure doesn’t help himself, I think that’s probably because his inner circle are trying to protect him (even if coming out and talking about it might actually help him). He practices at the same place I do in Houston and members go up to him all the time (while he’s practicing), and he’s always nice to them. Everyone I’ve ever talked to there like him a lot. He’s always super nice to me, I could ask him anything golf related and he will try his best to help. There is a mini tour guy out there who was having Patrick help him with his wedges, and Patrick didn’t like the set up he was using and so he brought him some brand new wedges he had just laying around at his house the next day. With that said, he clearly cheated (even though he stands by the camera angle thing) and is still as cocky as you’d expect him to be.

My interactions with him, and the stories I've heard, are pretty positive as well.

2 minutes ago, djake said:

I never knew that about Earl.  So yes at this moment I do see Tiger differently.  Thanks for pointing this out. 

Watch the HBO documentary if you can.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because I think you've got next to no information on the "ass" stuff.

We all make judgment calls on things, even if armed with little information. Based on what I've seen of his personality, I generally dislike it and he strikes me as an ass, or at least on the ass end of the PGA Tour class-ass spectrum. It's just how I interpret the arrogance and IDGAF attitude. Not my cup of tea.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

My interactions with him, and the stories I've heard, are pretty positive as well.

And I'd certainly give him the chance to prove me wrong should the opportunity arise. It's not like I condemned the man for being an ass. I'm an ass at times.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, billchao said:

We all make judgment calls on things…

We don't have to. What do you really know of who he is as a person? Nothing, really, right? So why judge?

You can have an opinion about certain things without forming an opinion about a person as a whole.

You can say "I don't like that he said he felt he was a top five player in the world" without then jumping to the "he's an ass" conclusion.

Giphy doesn't have the Office Space one with the mat? 😛

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iacas said:

We don't have to. What do you really know of who he is as a person? Nothing, really, right? So why judge?

You can have an opinion about certain things without forming an opinion about a person as a whole.

You can say "I don't like that he said he felt he was a top five player in the world" without then jumping to the "he's an ass" conclusion.

200.gif

Giphy doesn't have the Office Space one with the mat? 😛

@iacas, are you trying to make us a better person?    I don't know him, only what I see on TV or read in the media.   I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong.   An action from a person I don't know does sway my opinion but not enough to harbor ill will.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I read this question 2 ways. One as him as a person, and one as him as a golfer. Since this is a golf forum, I answered the poll with the latter in mind, and the answer was no. If it was meant to be about him as a person, then the answer would be yes.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

@iacas, are you trying to make us a better person?    I don't know him, only what I see on TV or read in the media.   I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong.   An action from a person I don't know does sway my opinion but not enough to harbor ill will.  

I'm also talking to myself, but yeah.

18 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I read this question 2 ways. One as him as a person, and one as him as a golfer. Since this is a golf forum, I answered the poll with the latter in mind, and the answer was no. If it was meant to be about him as a person, then the answer would be yes.

It's a golf forum, but golfers are humans.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Sandy Divot said:

As far as the Tiger and Earl thing, I guess I don't understand how those things work. I would have thought Tiger would have been faithful after seeing what Earl did to his mom.

18 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Perhaps I'm too black and white.  Perhaps too judgmental, too?  To my way of thinking: Somebody who cheats at something, be it golf, in their relationships, on school tests, etc. is unethical.  It is a reflection of their character.  So I quite honestly don't see how you one separate the two.

• Administrator
Just now, SEMI_Duffer said:

Perhaps I'm too black and white.  Perhaps too judgmental, too?  To my way of thinking: Somebody who cheats at something, be it golf, in their relationships, on school tests, etc. is unethical.  It is a reflection of their character.  So I quite honestly don't see how you one separate the two.

Is someone who steals a loaf of bread to feed their children a thief who should be sentenced to jail?

Virtually nothing is black and white. And again, there's more to the guy that a rules incident or three.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's a golf forum, but golfers are humans.

Well I think that the percentage of the forum that "knows" Patrick as a person is quite low, but the amount that know him as a golfer is quite high. It isn't like we get big insights into what tour pros are like "as humans". We only really know them as golfers with the occasional golf related goof around videos (thinking TaylorMade and Euro Tour stuff here).

My only opinions one way or another on PR are golf things. If I were to take the question outside of the context of golf, my opinion on him actually wouldn't change at all because I don't really have any. I would just be sad for him that it happened.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
Just now, Bonvivant said:

Well I think that the percentage of the forum that "knows" Patrick as a person is quite low, but the amount that know him as a golfer is quite high. It isn't like we get big insights into what tour pros are like "as humans".

And yet people have opinions on him as a human, no?

And those opinions could be changed with this information, no?

In other words, what you know of Patrick Reed may be limited to him as a golfer, but you still have an opinion about who he might be as a person. And it's possible that opinion may have shifted (or not) based on that "hypothetical" information.

Get off the fence! 🙂