IGNORED

Patrick Reed - The Man, the Child Abuse (?), Redemption (??)

Phil McGleno

Patrick Reed Abuse  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If Patrick Reed was Physically and Emotionally Abused as a Child, Does Your Opinion of Him Change?

• Yeah
    • No

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not first-hand, I didn't grow up with Patrick Reed, but I have it on good authority that:

• Patrick Reed's parents aren't great people.
  • Patrick was abused as a child. Maybe not always or even mostly physically, but abuse comes in many forms.
  • Justine has helped Patrick cut his parents off from his life.
  • They show up at tournaments, including the Masters, despite him making known he doesn't want them there.
  • They will pitch their side of the story to the media to garner support for their side, while he stays silent. He's trying to put it behind them.
  • Justine has seen all of this, and loves Patrick, and tries to help him and defends him and protects him. Or tries to.

So yeah, I've heard that Justine and/or Patrick himself will have his parents removed from the course when it's known he doesn't want them there but they show up anyway.

Did you notice how many people in the Tiger documentary, even people he'd excised from his life, are still protective of him, compassionate toward him, say only mostly good things about him? Earl wasn't an awesome parent… Maybe there are more similarities there than people credit.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

@ShawnSum, more on the above, from someone who did know Patrick and still does:

Edit: the thing that really irks me about his parents is that it’s obvious that there are people out there that know the truth, that can corroborate that his parents were abusive, but no actual journalist has ever tried to talk to those people.

There’s been like 15 articles about how Patrick is ruining his parents’ lives by not allowing them to meet their grandchildren but no one has said “Hey, these people had neighbors, other parents of kids who played golf in tournaments with Patrick, other kids that went to high school with him, should we try to find those people? Nah, we’ll just let his dad keep telling this sob story.”

Good to know! 

:titleist:

:tmade:

Patrick's wife Justine appears to be a great influence on him, along with his caddie/brother-in-law they form a great team. They met his first year at Augusta State, so she probably has a pretty good idea of how things were between him and his dad. Patrick was living at home, at least that first year at Augusta.

Here is a little bio data about Justine:

Who is Justine Reed?

JUSTINE - nee Karain - married Patrick Reed on December 21, 2012. 

The couple met at Augusta State University after Patrick transferred from Georgia after his freshman year.

When Patrick turned pro in 2011, Justine had already earned two undergraduate degrees.

Before becoming Patrick's caddie Justine was a nurse and also was a swimmer and played football (soccer).

Justine was hospitalized in 2014 after having a seizure in the bath.
Doctors have stated that she was very lucky to survive and it was only because Patrick found her so quick that it was not more damaging.

The posts from @iacasand @ShawnSumdemonstrate there are two sides to every story and if you do not have first-hand knowledge you may be getting a tainted story.

• Upvote 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

The posts from @iacasand @ShawnSumdemonstrate there are two sides to every story and if you do not have first-hand knowledge you may be getting a tainted story.

If you are replying to my post I would like to understand what is the point you are making?

Other than my "observation" regarding the Reed's relationship; everything else is factual.

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

Yeppers! It'll be nice if a "tell all" story comes out one day to officially set the record straight for everyone.

:titleist:

:tmade:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

If you are replying to my post I would like to understand what is the point you are making?

Other than my "observation" regarding the Reed's relationship; everything else is factual.

He didn't quote you, man. I think he's just responding generally.

One side is what we hear from the media. The other side is what I posted, or the truth behind his family situation, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

One side is what we hear from the media. The other side is what I posted, or the truth behind his family situation, etc.

@iacasis correct.  I was not intending to discredit any particular post or set of facts. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

2 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Yeppers! It'll be nice if a "tell all" story comes out one day to officially set the record straight for everyone.

There's been a lot of interesting discussion about Patrick Reed at TST, starting with the somewhat recent poll, and the two threads currently going. I have to admit I have new perspective reading through these and doing some external reading on my own. I am still not a Patrick Reed fan as he just doesn't move the needle for me, but I think my general feelings toward him have shifted from negative to neutral.

There is definitely more coverage/perspective from one side than the other, which I think is the foundation of the public's (and my own) unfavorable views on Reed, and it's going to be hard for him to shake, since golf coverage and media seem to keep doubling down on the "controversy" pieces. It might benefit him to tell his story from his perspective. Of course, it is up to him whether or not he wants to present that to us, and maybe he has dealt with it in a way that works for him, and has moved on and no longer cares to revisit it.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

A buddy of mine from law school (he played college golf and is +1 now, I think.) and chatted about this today actually. He said the following:

Most people didn’t like him because he was known for cheating when he was an amateur and when he played at UGA and Augusta St. He conditionally admitted to UGA to play golf but the condition was based on “character issues” that came up during the recruiting process. He was there a year before he was kicked off the golf team for cheating and stealing from his teammates then lying about it. Then he went to Augusta state, where twice in the first semester he was accused of shaving strokes off scores in qualifying rounds bc he was determined to be the #1 seed. Obviously this didn’t go over well with his team and coaches so he grinded all day everyday, got even better, won the NCAA, and then turned pro.

So with that back story, he wins one event and says he’s a to 5 player in the world. Then gets caught cheating on National TV. I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I’m not crazy about all that and if my teammate was cheating against me, I don’t think I’d consider him a teammate.

He’s so stupid when he was at UGA he cleaned out his teammates’ wallets in their hotel room and he was the only one not with them, and he said it must have been the cleaning lady. Then the coach searched his bag and found the exact amount of cash missing, and he said he won it playing against a professor the week before, and the coach asked the professor and he said he hasn’t played him in months.

The accusations were supported enough for UGA and Augusta to pull his scholarship and kick him off the team. And Augusta did it after he won the National championship. You don’t release the National champion for unsubstantiated allegations that are blown out of proportion.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

So with that back story, he wins one event and says he’s a to 5 player in the world.

Your buddy should check some facts.

Patrick Reed made the comments at Doral, a WGC event, which was his third win in about six months.

image.png

4 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You don’t release the National champion for unsubstantiated allegations that are blown out of proportion.

They didn't:

Reed started his college golf career in 2008 at the University of Georgia in Athens. While at Georgia, Reed had an arrest for underage drinking and possessing a fake ID. He pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor and was put on probation, fined and sentenced to 60 hours of community service. After further issues that resulted in his dismissal from the team, he then left Georgia and enrolled at Augusta State University, where he majored in business. He helped lead Augusta State to NCAA Division I titles in 2010 and 2011. Reed advanced to the semi-finals of the 2008 U.S. Amateur, where he lost 3&2 to eventual U.S. Amateur champion Danny Lee – the top-ranked amateur in the world. He won the 2010 Jones Cup Invitational.

And, I've heard his teammates fabricated stuff specifically to get him kicked off the team because they didn't like how cocky he was.

I've seen it done. On another forum, a guy talks all the time about how he regrets firing a guy the others didn't like (he worked hard and showed them up) and they fabricated that he stole something. Only months later did the boss discover the truth: it was made up so they could get him fired.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your buddy should check some facts.

Patrick Reed made the comments at Doral, a WGC event, which was his third win in about six months.

image.png

Yeah, I thought he had 3-4 wins at that point.  That story didn’t mesh

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I'll tell you what irks me about Reed:

He is so effing good he doesn't need to do the borderline stuff he does.

He has some of the best hands in the game, is an incredible putter and has superhuman resilience.

We kind of have opinions about how players "should" behave and tend to react when they don't do it in a way that suits us.

Three examples about MY prejudices and the reaction each time was the same" "Geez man, why did you have to say that? I don't like you so much anymore."

1. Aaron Baddeley when he won the Australian Open as an amateur and then professional the next year and was invited to the Masters and said he was there to win. At that point he pretty much made it clear that Tiger, he and Sergio were the only contenders for best player in the world. And no, I'm not saying he should have gone there and said he was there for the experience and nothing else.

2. Reed when he started talking about his college career and how is was probably top 5 - even though it may well be true.

3. Zach Johnson and Webb Simpson and comments about (you can work this out yourself) with regard to their victories.

If you're good you don't need to tell us. It'd pretty obvious that Reed is an absolute gun, but his words and deeds make a lot of people root for him less, or worse, root against him.

Like......imagine if Bryson had just gone and worked out and suddenly started bombing it  without saying he was going to do it and people just started saying WTF??????!!!!!! Wow!!!! How cool would that have been?!

In these days of social media. the 24 hour news cycle and PC ,guys just have to tweak it a LITTLE bit and everyone will love them.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

27 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'll tell you what irks me about Reed:

He is so effing good he doesn't need to do the borderline stuff he does. He has some of the best hands in the game, is an incredible putter and has superhuman resilience. We kind of have opinions about how players "should" behave and tend to react when they don't do it in a way that suits us.

We forget that most of the best of any sport are not universally loved while they are great. There were plenty of Tiger haters. Plenty of MJ haters. Plenty of Lebron haters. I bet some people didn't like Jack back in the day because he was taking Arnold's spot. 

I don't particularly care that he is not Mother Teresa on and off the golf course. 

29 minutes ago, Shorty said:

1. Aaron Baddeley when he won the Australian Open as an amateur and then professional the next year and was invited to the Masters and said he was there to win. At that point he pretty much made it clear that Tiger, he and Sergio were the only contenders for best player in the world. And no, I'm not saying he should have gone there and said he was there for the experience and nothing else.

Not worth even getting up set about. What do you want him to admit, that he wasn't there to win? 

29 minutes ago, Shorty said:

2. Reed when he started talking about his college career and how is was probably top 5 - even though it may well be true.

So what? 

30 minutes ago, Shorty said:

If you're good you don't need to tell us. It'd pretty obvious that Reed is an absolute gun, but his words and deeds make a lot of people root for him less, or worse, root against him.

Maybe some people need to say it. Maybe it keeps them focused. Michael Jordan was one of the most egotistical basketball players ever and he backed it up. 

31 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Like......imagine if Bryson had just gone and worked out and suddenly started bombing it  without saying he was going to do it and people just started saying WTF??????!!!!!! Wow!!!! How cool would that have been?!

Yea, that that really isn't that important. It was actually interesting seeing his progress rather than him just showing up jacked up. The process is more interesting to me than being surprised by the result. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to Patrick Reed - The Man, the Child Abuse (?), Redemption (??)
  • Administrator
1620048865704.jpeg

Patrick Reed, the enigmatic star, discusses his Masters win, his relationship to the media and everything else he's been wanting to say.

Reading this now.

And done.

I'm not sure the title is right, it's just a straightforward and kinda boring interview.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:
1620048865704.jpeg

Patrick Reed, the enigmatic star, discusses his Masters win, his relationship to the media and everything else he's been wanting to say.

Reading this now.

And done.

I'm not sure the title is right, it's just a straightforward and kinda boring interview.

I thought it was a pretty good interview. I like his playing style.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 2/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, MiuraMan said:
Spiranac says she likes Reed 'talking s***'

Spiranac says she likes Reed 'talking s***'

I think talking s*** is s***. This comes from a person famed for what?...being famous and making sure they are talked about.  Just DO something good. When I was competitive playing basketball or hockey I would take pride in keeping quiet, proving I could compete, beat them, and tell them "good game" after (maybe point at the scoreboard if they were real a**es). Just wish I could do that in golf too. 🙂

I have a lot of respect for his wife. Liked reading how she was always there for him in lowest of times. She must see some good in him. Seems to be a great father. I like his approach to parenting.  

Hopefully, he will do another Captain America for us again and we will all let by-gones be by-gones..  😇  

• Like 1

Vishal S.

• 2 months later...