IGNORED

Hitting Off Mat Into Net

Can you get good feed back hitting off a matt.  I have a good matt and just bought a net.  I guess you can good feedback with the driver.  Whether your hitting it in the center of the face.  I know you can't  really tell what the ball would do.  I was wondering more about the irons hitting  off the matt.  Just wondering.

• Administrator

Does Matt's family know?

I'll adjust your title. 🙂

And yes, you can get good feedback and get a lot of good work done hitting off a mat. Some of us even work at indoor academies… like https://golfevolution.com/locations/.

• Funny 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Hitting Off Mat Into Net
9 hours ago, ThumbtackR9 said:

Can you get good feed back hitting off a matt.  I have a good matt and just bought a net.  I guess you can good feedback with the driver.  Whether your hitting it in the center of the face.  I know you can't  really tell what the ball would do.  I was wondering more about the irons hitting  off the matt.  Just wondering.

With my mat, I can tell if I hit it heavy. You can also do drills with a towel or piece of tape behind the ball to check for good contact.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I bought a small sheet of polycarbonate at Home Depot, 8"x10", to place behind my ball for feedback on my mat. It was like 5 bucks. It is held in place by tees. You definitely know when you hit a fat shot...

• Like 1

I definitely hit a lot of fat shots.  I just have trouble hitting the ball first and I am bad about coming over the top.

I am 74.  Been playing off and on for years.  My parents probably couldn't  have afforded lessons but I can see that would have been the thing to do.  I have been doing things wrong for years and it will be hard to change.  I got me a new net.  Just going to start fixing self and hit a lot of balls if I can.  I have a good idea of what I am doing wrong but I don't  know if I can change it.

I was going to try and change to the single plane swing.  I had better luck with the driver than the irons.

Thanks for the ideas.

19 hours ago, KoHo said:

I bought a small sheet of polycarbonate at Home Depot, 8"x10", to place behind my ball for feedback on my mat. It was like 5 bucks. It is held in place by tees. You definitely know when you hit a fat shot...

I like the sklz ball first trainer for hitting off a mat.  Feedback for hitting fat, hitting at the toe, hitting towards the hosel. But they are not making them anymore.  My has a crack in it, I think I'll try to make one with that small sheet of polycorbonate.

ball first.jpg

33 minutes ago, ThumbtackR9 said:

I definitely hit a lot of fat shots.  I just have trouble hitting the ball first and I am bad about coming over the top.

I am 74.  Been playing off and on for years.  My parents probably couldn't  have afforded lessons but I can see that would have been the thing to do.  I have been doing things wrong for years and it will be hard to change.  I got me a new net.  Just going to start fixing self and hit a lot of balls if I can.  I have a good idea of what I am doing wrong but I don't  know if I can change it.

I was going to try and change to the single plane swing.  I had better luck with the driver than the irons.

Thanks for the ideas.

Me too, same problems with my swing.

I have corrected it but sometimes regress.

For me I focus on steady head through back swing until contact, and shift weight to front foot at the start of the downswing. (Key 1 and 2 of the 5 simple keys). 

I also sight a spot about an inch in front of the ball as my contact point.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ThumbtackR9 said:

Thanks for the ideas.

12 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I also sight a spot about an inch in front of the ball as my contact point.

Good advice.  Lay a towel a couple of inches behind the ball when you practice.   It will be an eye opener.

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thanks 1

I will try the " pick out a spot in front of the ball".  I would say I look at the back of the ball.  I guess your supposed to hit the point your looking at.  Sometime of practice swings I hit way behind the ball.  I need try try the towel drill also.  I am probably coming into the ball at the wrong angle too.  I did try that chipping.  I felt like I was picking the club up instead of taking it back.  Thanks for the advice.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:11 AM, boogielicious said:

With my mat, I can tell if I hit it heavy. You can also do drills with a towel or piece of tape behind the ball to check for good contact.

I like the tape behind the ball idea.  I will be using that on Wednesday as that is my next day with irons.  Tomorrow I am focusing on 5 Wood and Driver. 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, KoHo said:

Can you show a picture of this?  Having a hard time visualizing it.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, djake said:

Can you show a picture of this?  Having a hard time visualizing it.

It's the same idea as a towel behind the ball. You'll know if you hit the polycarbonate.

Just now, iacas said:

It's the same idea as a towel behind the ball. You'll know if you hit the polycarbonate.

Hey I am sloooow learner.  Just take a towel, lay it right up to the ball and of course going behind it? Right?  Then it should be really clear if I am hitting it fat or not.

13 minutes ago, djake said:

Hey I am sloooow learner.  Just take a towel, lay it right up to the ball and of course going behind it? Right?  Then it should be really clear if I am hitting it fat or not.

Give yourself about 4" or so to start.   As you progress, you can move it closer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

Give yourself about 4" or so to start.   As you progress, you can move it closer.

Thanks

11 hours ago, dennyjones said:

This^. I use the width of my iron head.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, djake said:

Can you show a picture of this?  Having a hard time visualizing it

Notice the copious amount of impact marks on that thing. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin...I use this because I can hit it multiple times without needing to readjust it.

PXL_20210119_131701400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KoHo said:

Notice the copious amount of impact marks on that thing. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin...I use this because I can hit it multiple times without needing to readjust it.

PXL_20210119_131701400.jpg

Thank you.