IGNORED

New Member From Sweden

Hello

I'm 38yo and even though I have always had an interest in golf I never picked up a golf club until the end of summer in 2019 and I got my green card just before the golf season ended in October.

I practiced during the winter and played my first full round of 18 holes in April last year with 54 handicap.

If there was one silver lining for me in 2020 it was that due to COVID-19 I was not allowed to work more than 60% of my working hours. 

That meant I had a lot of free time that I could spend on practice or playing golf so I ended the year with a handicap of 17,2. 

Lowest round was 87 on a par 72 course (it could easily have been 80-82 if I can improve my short game 😃).

I'm loving the game even if it can be very frustrating some times :-)

1 hour ago, JohBo said:

Hello

I'm 38yo and even though I have always had an interest in golf I never picked up a golf club until the end of summer in 2019 and I got my green card just before the golf season ended in October.

I practiced during the winter and played my first full round of 18 holes in April last year with 54 handicap.

If there was one silver lining for me in 2020 it was that due to COVID-19 I was not allowed to work more than 60% of my working hours. 

That meant I had a lot of free time that I could spend on practice or playing golf so I ended the year with a handicap of 17,2. 

Lowest round was 87 on a par 72 course (it could easily have been 80-82 if I can improve my short game 😃).

I'm loving the game even if it can be very frustrating some times :-)

Welcome to TST.  Yes, golf can be frustrating. Part of the game is learning to deal with the frustration.  
Breaking 90 in your 1st year sounds impressive to me. Good job.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!

Wow, broke 90 in your first year.  You don't mention any instruction during the season, so I guess you did it on your own?  Doubly impressive.

2 hours ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

Welcome to TST!

Wow, broke 90 in your first year.  You don't mention any instruction during the season, so I guess you did it on your own?  Doubly impressive.

No I didn't do it own my own.

When I first started I got 3 private lessons for 2h each with basic lessons in irons, chipping and putting.

During the first winter I also had a couple of extra lessons with irons/driver/fairway woods. 

When spring came around I got a couple of lessons with chipping and putting. 

So I had a lot of lessons in the beginning but since then I also practice every change I got during 2020.

On average 2 times a week with 1-1,5 hours on the driving range and 1 round on our 6 hole par 3 course. 

Practicing "real" golf on that par 3 course has helped me the most I think. 

• Like 1