IGNORED

Your Backswing Length - Too Long? Probably.

iacas
Note: This thread is 1159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Backswing Length  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How long is your backswing relative to what it probably "should" be?

• It's shorter than it should be.
    • It's the right length.
    • It's longer than it should be.
    • It's MUCH longer than it should be.

I voted shorter than it should be. It is getting to what I feel is the right length after feedback about my shoulder turn, which has helped tremendously. I continue to practice that but it has not yet become automatic and lapse at times to my old short BS. 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine is Mid-John length.  Longer than John Rahm.  Shorter than John Daly.  I have a device that measures, among other things, the degrees of my backswing.  With a driver I'm consistently 270-272 degrees.  Horizontal.     

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, GTA Golf Pro said:

My left arm folds and makes my backswing too long. I try to keep it relatively straight but not locked but it's so hard to focus on that when there's tons of other things to think about. Any fix for folded left arm on the backswing?

You’re most likely doing it as a result of a smaller turn or pivot than you should have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You’re most likely doing it as a result of a smaller turn or pivot than you should have.

So is there a drill for a better turn or pivot? I try to feel my left shoulder moving towards the inside of my right leg when I wanna make sure I make a full turn. Is this the correct way to think about it?

• Administrator
7 hours ago, GTA Golf Pro said:

So is there a drill for a better turn or pivot? I try to feel my left shoulder moving towards the inside of my right leg when I wanna make sure I make a full turn. Is this the correct way to think about it?

I’d love to help out but it’s tough to say. Could be a number of things. Create a Member Swing topic.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for the 3rd option, longer than it should be, but IMO not long enough to be in the 4th option.

I've noticed the longer my swing gets, the steeper the downswing is and I have less rotation through the shot, and typically the shorter my swing is, the club is shallower on the downswing with a bit more (still not enough) body rotation through impact.

I feel like I make half swing shots that I think only went like waist high on the way back only to watch it back on film and see that it's pretty much a full swing. Need to get back into better practice habits.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Depending on what we're measuring, I'm not really sure...going by shoulder turn, I might be in the ball park of just right. but I definitely need to work on keeping my arms in front of my chest and not letting my left arm get adducted too far across my chest like a frigging noob

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!