IGNORED

I Missed the Memo About Dynamic Stretching

I must have been living under a rock and also not really paying much attention to physical fitness.

As I understand it, static stretching is better suited for after a workout, or a round of golf. You want to do dynamic stretching (stretching involves movement and not staying in one position) before your round. So I've been doing all wrong.

Any workout routine recommendations on YouTube or wherever videos are found? I'll be going through YT videos in the next couple of days to learn more.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I must have been living under a rock and also not really paying much attention to physical fitness.

As I understand it, static stretching is better suited for after a workout, or a round of golf. You want to do dynamic stretching (stretching involves movement and not staying in one position) before your round. So I've been doing all wrong.

Any workout routine recommendations on YouTube or wherever videos are found? I'll be going through YT videos in the next couple of days to learn more.

Glad you started this thread.  Following to see what gets posted.  I need to learn a lot more about stretching as you stated.

I do some of these before hitting.

IMG_5874b2.jpg#keepProtocol

Coach Joey D at Greg Norman's Attack Life Radio Show, talking fitness with one of the greats. VIDEO: 3 minute parking lot stretch when short on time.

In this video for #FitnessFriday, Coach Joey D demonstrates how to do dynamic  
  • Informative 1

• Administrator

I've heard for awhile not to stretch (the traditional way) before stuff. Like running, or soccer, or golf.

Most of the time I just get out of my car and begin doing stuff. 🙂

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've heard for awhile not to stretch (the traditional way) before stuff. Like running, or soccer, or golf.

Most of the time I just get out of my car and begin doing stuff. 🙂

Same here. It doesn't take me long to get warmed up, but I can definitely tell I don't have the range of motion right of the bat like I use to. 

I learned about dynamic stretching as a concept after college. I was never big into stretching other than after weight lifting. Even when I lifted weights, I always start with a light weight set and try to get the range of motion good and the motion good before I go heavy. I built dynamic stretching into the workout routine. 

My high school soccer coach would get annoyed when we tried to stretch out before practice or games. He was from somewhere in Central or South America and emphatically insisted on not stretching. Instead he would sort of have us skipping, dancing, and shimmying around, kind of similar to the Miguel Angel Jimenez golf warmup, but for soccer.

I did gymnastics in junior high then track and cross country in High School. We always warmed up and stretched before practice. I have to loosen up before golf.

This has been out for a while. Research has shown that static stretching before an activity actually decreases performance and does not reduce risk of injury. You actually increase your risk of injury if you static stretch a muscle that hasn’t be warmed up.

Static stretching is best done after a workout or in a dedicated mobility routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

I coached soccer for about 15 years way back in the day.   We did a stretching routine before practice and games because I thought that was the way to help prevent injuries.    Luckily none of my players were ever seriously injured.   I attended a clinic held by Anson Dorrance which changed the way we did conditioning and warmup.    I concur,  static stretching is best after an activity.    

• Thanks 1

Watching tour events in person, a common sight on the range are players either swinging a heavy club, some other weighted apparatus, or a couple of irons held together to stretch/warm up.   It's likely not all they do but it is a common one to see.

I once came across a video (I wish I could find it again) of Lee Trevino warming up on the range swinging two irons held together with one hand (one arm swings) and his range of motion was crazy good to the point where watching him I could feel my own shoulders starting to dislocate. 

My son is a swim coach. He tells me that his current teaching has limited stretching until the kids have warmed up through a bit of running or jacks, a couple of slow laps, whatever.

I try to swing a golf club 10 or 15 swings before I start a round and then start stretches around #4 or 5 at the turn and as required.