IGNORED

Posting Solo Scores to Handicap (In 2021)

Posting Solo Rounds (2021)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still often or regularly post solo rounds in violation of the USGA and now WHS rules?

• Yes, I post or plan to post an occasional solo round in breach of the rules of handicapping.
    • No, I obey all of the rules and do not post solo rounds.
    • Something else and/or "Oops, I didn't know this was a rule."

(edited)
51 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I need to find that check box, though solo rounds have been rare lately, with so many more people out there!  I have been guilty of posting solo rounds, but I am convinced to stop.

thegrint.png

thegrint2.png

Edited by dennyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prior to the  2016, Canada and the USGA regions were the only ones which allowed posting solo scores.  Now I believe its worldwide. I heard that a local high-school coach was telling his player

Solo rounds being posted is less a problem than selective posting.  Still, this thread is a good reminder to not post solo rounds.

How is that a "better" option? Because it suits you? The point of a handicap is to create a measure of how you play when playing against or at least with others and following the Rules of Golf. S

Posted Images

One problem is that most of the non-solo rounds I play are match. So I'm not playing enough non-solo medal rounds to get a handicap. You'll have to trust my calculations of the best 8 of my last 20 rounds. Will you do that? Will you give me those strokes? i didn't think so. I'll post the rounds anyway and let GHIN do the math for me. I'll consider it my "unofficial HC" since i don't play in official competitions. It's not hurting anyone.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, JuliWooli said:

In mainland Europe we have an EDS round (Extra Day Score). We have to pay a small fee to the club for registering these scores and we must play with at least another player. Apart from this our handicap can only be changed in tournaments. I suppose this would be our solo rounds but they must be announced to the club in advance.

The above has been very similar in the UK too.  As a member of a Golf Club, a handicap is gained by submitting three scorecards whilst playing with a fellow member or in some Clubs, a round with the Captain. Then whilst playing in club competitions your handicap is worked out by the computer after each event.  (At my club, not posting your card after a competition round is looked on severely and repeated omissions will result in competition bans. All competitions need to submit their scores for an accurate CSS to be declared.)

However, If you are going through a purple patch and wish to have your handicap reduced you can play a social round with a member or guest that has a recognised handicap.  This is called a Supplementary Round and in order to be able to post a Supplementary card then one must sign the Supplementary Book in the Pro Shop prior to the round. Failing to post the card after the round though will cause your handicap to go up by 0.1.  To be honest, I have never known of a golfer being allowed to post a card after a solo round in the UK.  It was definitely against the R&A rules.

5 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

One problem is that most of the non-solo rounds I play are match. So I'm not playing enough non-solo medal rounds to get a handicap.

As Erik said, you can (actually must) post match play scores, subject to one or two other requirements (play by the rules, play a minimum number of holes, how to determine the score for holes not played, or not finished).  You can refer to Rules 2.1a here for the Authorized Formats:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Match play scores have been acceptable for handicap posting in the US for as long as I can remember.  This is one of the areas where the USGA regulations still differ from other parts of the world, which formats produce scores acceptable for handicap posting.

• Thanks 1

I haven't posted anything in a while, but last time I posted a score I needed to enter the name of the person I was playing with when submitting a score.

I like to play alone a lot of the time, so if handicap is something I want to keep track of I have to do it myself. Easy enough if you have the formula. I don't have the same focus on handicap as I used to and if I usually play the same courses I can just use the score to track progress.

2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I haven't posted anything in a while, but last time I posted a score I needed to enter the name of the person I was playing with when submitting a score.

This has never been a requirement in USGA areas, but it seems to me something that could still be required in Europe.

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This has never been a requirement in USGA areas, but it seems to me something that could still be required in Europe.

I don’t know how much it’s used elsewhere in Europe, but here in Norway it still seems to be a requirement. Not only name the marker, but they have to approve the score before it is registered.

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As Erik said, you can (actually must) post match play scores, subject to one or two other requirements (play by the rules, play a minimum number of holes, how to determine the score for holes not played, or not finished).  You can refer to Rules 2.1a here for the Authorized Formats:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Match play scores have been acceptable for handicap posting in the US for as long as I can remember.  This is one of the areas where the USGA regulations still differ from other parts of the world, which formats produce scores acceptable for handicap posting.

What counts as a hole not finished?

13 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Guessing it would be a conceded hole or conceded putts and any holes not played if the match ends early.

17 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Its explained in those rules, but generally it means that you started the hole, but didn't putt out.  It could be the hole was conceded, your putt was conceded, or your opponent is in with a score you cannot beat.  For those, you post the score you most likely would have made.  For holes you did not even start, you post a score equal to par plus any any handicap strokes you would get, based on your full Course Handicap.

I don't play solo anymore and don't have a handicap, but if I did, I would post my solo rounds.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

I don't play solo anymore and don't have a handicap, but if I did, I would post my solo rounds.

Why would you specifically choose to break the rules?

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Why would you specifically choose to break the rules?

It's one of those rules that doesn't affect the number of strokes I took, like the signing an incorrect scorecard rule. Keeping a handicap would only be for my information since I don't play in competition. 

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

It's one of those rules that doesn't affect the number of strokes I took, like the signing an incorrect scorecard rule. Keeping a handicap would only be for my information since I don't play in competition. 

Just my opinion, but if you're not going to follow the rules for handicapping, I don't believe you should keep an official handicap.  I'd suggest that you use an unofficial online handicap calculator, and save yourself the few bucks.

Match play scores don’t count for handicap over here and I don’t think they should. Match play strategy is completely different and the situation may mean taking shots on with a high degree of risk. Risk that you may not take on in a stroke play even. 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Just my opinion, but if you're not going to follow the rules for handicapping, I don't believe you should keep an official handicap.  I'd suggest that you use an unofficial online handicap calculator, and save yourself the few bucks.

Oh for sure, agreed. It's just one the rules I don't care about.

• Like 1