Jump to content
IGNORED

Bought a New Car (Mazda CX-5 Signature)


iacas
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Got these. I hate license plates that just sit against the car. They can rattle, they can scratch the paint… etc.

Two-pack for $12. Put the other one on my wife’s Tiguan. Installation was easy.

I never understood why people put on plates without frames of some kind.

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Was gonna be getting a Pilot for the wife but you've given me something to think about

The Mazda CX-5 is smaller than a Honda Pilot. The CX-9 is a better comparison size-wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
33 minutes ago, billchao said:

I never understood why people put on plates without frames of some kind.

I took off the dealer plate/frame. It was just one of those cheap plastic ones, of course.

I hadn’t thought of silicone frames, but it makes total sense. It drains, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, billchao said:

I never understood why people put on plates without frames of some kind.

The Mazda CX-5 is smaller than a Honda Pilot. The CX-9 is a better comparison size-wise.

Good info thanks - she wants fast and the Pilot is faster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Good info thanks - she wants fast and the Pilot is faster

Some people say the current CX-9 is underpowered. It uses the same 2.5L turbocharged I4 (227HP on regular, 310 lb ft of torque) that the CX-5 Signature does, except it’s 600lbs heavier.

FWIW, my 2014 CX-9 has a naturally aspirated 3.7L V6 (274HP, 270 lb ft of torque) and it’s actually something like 0.4s slower from 0-60 than the new one. I’ve never felt it was underpowered. The enjoyment of driving a Mazda isn’t about its straight line speed. I test drove a Honda Pilot back in 2014 and it handled like a shoe box. Still does, from everything I’ve read about them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
43 minutes ago, billchao said:

Some people say the current CX-9 is underpowered. It uses the same 2.5L turbocharged I4 (227HP on regular, 310 lb ft of torque) that the CX-5 Signature does, except it’s 600lbs heavier.

FWIW, my 2014 CX-9 has a naturally aspirated 3.7L V6 (274HP, 270 lb ft of torque) and it’s actually something like 0.4s slower from 0-60 than the new one. I’ve never felt it was underpowered. The enjoyment of driving a Mazda isn’t about its straight line speed. I test drove a Honda Pilot back in 2014 and it handled like a shoe box. Still does, from everything I’ve read about them.

Yes, this.

The Pilot (and even the CR-V) suck to drive. They're not "driving" cars. The CR-V uses a CVT, too, which is 💩.

The Mazdas don't use CVTs. They're fun to drive. My CX-5 is great fun. More than my wife's Tiguan, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly, anything with a center of gravity higher than what I'm used to (lowered sedans) is gonna feel like a shoebox to me. The wife just wants straight line acceleration, she doesn't care about handling. I don't get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
30 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Honestly, anything with a center of gravity higher than what I'm used to (lowered sedans) is gonna feel like a shoebox to me. The wife just wants straight line acceleration, she doesn't care about handling. I don't get it.

Test drive. Seriously. It’s night and day. Mazda SUVs feel smaller than they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, billchao said:

Test drive. Seriously. It’s night and day. Mazda SUVs feel smaller than they are.

I'll suggest to the wife that she try one out, she might like it even if it's slower. It's guaranteed to feel like a fat bloated boat for me though (as would the Pilot)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:20 PM, iacas said:

a CX-5 Signature

 

mazda_cx5.jpg

I leased a CX-5 diesel in January 2020, the burgundy colour. It's my second one, my last one was manual and white. Great car! Costs € 550 p.m. on a 5 year lease and I have about 10G to pay at the end if I go that long. I only have one bit photo...

 

CIMG4167.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 2/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, iacas said:

Yes, this.

The Pilot (and even the CR-V) suck to drive. They're not "driving" cars. The CR-V uses a CVT, too, which is 💩.

The Mazdas don't use CVTs. They're fun to drive. My CX-5 is great fun. More than my wife's Tiguan, too.

Yes. CVTs suck.

Wife had a Sentra that the CVT went out on just over 1.5 years ago (and just outside of the warranty period). We ended up replacing it with a Hyundai Tucson.

This past October, I decided to trade in my car as well and we purchased a second Tucson. I've been super happy with them. 

The Mazda is really nice though, and was high up on my list as well. Nice choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, iacas said:

What's the mileage like on the diesel model?

750 km with a full tank of 50 Litres, 15km per litre x 4 = 60km to the gallon. I think the math is correct

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

750 km with a full tank of 50 Litres, 15km per litre x 4 = 60km to the gallon. I think the math is correct

Miles please 😛 

9 hours ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Yes. CVTs suck.

Wife had a Sentra that the CVT went out on just over 1.5 years ago (and just outside of the warranty period). We ended up replacing it with a Hyundai Tucson.

Wasn't this pushed as the type of transmission that would be in every car? I didn't know that they had these big issues. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
10 hours ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Yes. CVTs suck.

Wife had a Sentra that the CVT went out on just over 1.5 years ago (and just outside of the warranty period).

To be fair, Nissan’s CVT is bad. I’m not saying I like CVTs, but your wife ended up with the worst possible one.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Miles please 😛

~35 mpg. Google is your friend 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...