IGNORED

Proximity When Hitting 18 GIR to Shoot Even Par?

Assume you hit ALL 18 greens during a round of golf and to the same distance from the hole; At what proximity would you expect to shoot even par?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. At what proximity to the hole (assuming the same for every hole) would you expect to take 36 putts in a round?

• 10'
    • 15'
    • 20'
    • 25'
    • 30'
    • 35'
    • 40'
    • 45'
    • 50'

It's a random hypothetical that just popped in my head that others may find interesting, so I thought I'd share.  Say you play a great round of golf where you were fortunate enough to hit every single green in regulation.  But also say that your long irons were a lot better than your short irons - or perhaps you really followed the LSW rules to a tee and hit the dead center of every green and all pins were tucked - such that your first putt on each hole was the exact same length.  What do you think that length would need to be for you to shoot exactly par? Is there a distance where you think you might be able to make a birdie putt or two but also 3 putt a couple of times?  Or are you a better lag putter and think there is a big range where you are not likely to make any birdies while also probably not 3 putting.

My guess for myself right now is probably somewhere in the mid 20' range?  I'm not making many 25 footers, but I'd be really disappointed to 3 putt from 25 too.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It's a random hypothetical that just popped in my head that others may find interesting, so I thought I'd share.  Say you play a great round of golf where you were fortunate enough to hit every single green in regulation.  But also say that your long irons were a lot better than your short irons - or perhaps you really followed the LSW rules to a tee and hit the dead center of every green and all pins were tucked - such that your first putt on each hole was the exact same length.  What do you think that length would need to be for you to shoot exactly par? Is there a distance where you think you might be able to make a birdie putt or two but also 3 putt a couple of times?  Or are you a better lag putter and think there is a big range where you are not likely to make any birdies while also probably not 3 putting.

My guess for myself right now is probably somewhere in the mid 20' range?  I'm not making many 25 footers, but I'd be really disappointed to 3 putt from 25 too.

I would also say 20-25ft

• iacas changed the title to Proximity When Hitting 18 GIR to Shoot Even Par?
  • Administrator

PGA Tour players average 2.0 putts from 33'.

So I voted 40', because:

• I'm a better putter than the average PGA Tour player (positive).
  • I know the greens I play on pretty well (positive).
  • The greens I play on aren't as good as PGA Tour greens (negative).
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

PGA Tour players average 2.0 putts from 33'.

So I voted 40', because:

• I'm a better putter than the average PGA Tour player (positive).
  • I know the greens I play on pretty well (positive).
  • The greens I play on aren't as good as PGA Tour greens (negative).

I believe it.  I don't expect anybody to be able to vote a higher number than that, realistically.

Conversely, the worst putter I know amongst regular golfers is my father-in-law.  He plays 2-3 times a week and I honestly think his magic number is 10'. 😝

• Like 1

I voted 30, but didn’t assume that it was a course I know well. Even with that, some higher sloping greens may give you long second putts if you don’t get the speed correct.

If the pros make 8' putts 50% of the time I'm thinking I can realistically 2 putt within 20'.     Just a guess though.

I’m not the best at putting, so I’m thinking 20’. I may make one, and I will have very few three-jacks, if any at all, from that distance.

I picked 35. I generally lag putt fairly well and 3 putts rarely are on my card as is. My problem is that I am usually on the green in 1 over reg, so take that rare 3 putt stat with a grain of salt

I actually achieved this scenario last year in a tournament. Stoney Point in Greenwood, SC.

612584174_StoneyPoint.thumb.JPG.44650060961a8df9ab4a4e226059c7b4.JPG

Average was 23.2 feet.

I played pretty conservative being it was the first time I played the course. Had one 1 putt and one 3 putt.

So I voted 25 feet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

I actually achieved this scenario last year in a tournament. Stoney Point in Greenwood, SC.

612584174_StoneyPoint.thumb.JPG.44650060961a8df9ab4a4e226059c7b4.JPG

Average was 23.2 feet.

In my dreams

• Funny 1

I said 15'.

There are a couple of greens on my course that if the putt gets away from me, I'm almost guaranteed a 3 putt (at best).  A 5' putt from above the hole, try just nudging it to get it moving--it's either in the hole or gone to 10 feet or longer, sometimes off the green, depending on the conditions.  So I'd have to make up for those with 1-putts.  Maybe I should have said 5' or 10'.

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Like 1

I think of this two ways. What do I expect and what do I hope.  I expect 20-25ft that I'll two putt every time. I'd hope I could from 30-35ft as well.

I'd be a 10' guy.  Given 18 10' putts, I might make one, maybe even two, but I'd definitely 3-putt at least once!

On my home course I'm thinking 20 feet. If it's a course I've never played before that's probably 15 feet. If it's a course I've never played before with particularly tricky greens it's probably 10 feet. 🙂